What are we all playing this weekend?

March comes in like a lion, They say, and goes out like a lamb. If you have any respect at all for folklore, you might want to maul a child this weekend or perhaps sacrifice your hair to a pagan cult. Anyway. What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: [Adam is on his way back from his GDC adventures in San Francisco. I guess he’ll load up the in-flight match-three game before realising he really doesn’t want to, then will watch two or three mediocre 2016 movies. I see some airlines have La La Land and Inferno. God help him. -ed.]
Alec: I might try to play the Doom boardgame, which I owe you lot a review of, on my own somehow, thanks to repeated failures to gather sufficient others in one place to play it with me. I AM OLD AND LONELY but at least I can make Demon noises to myself.
Alice: You know your old pal Alice: Isaac dailies; far too many horror movies I shouldn’t be watching alone in this old cold flat while my flatmate is away; and more Night in the Woods. I’m really diggin’ NitW. I won that knife fight too. I do keep meaning to check out more Isaac mods but I’m five achievements short of bagging the lot and gosh darn it, I will beat that Ultra Hard challenge one day (probably after restarting runs until I get game-breaking items).
Brendan: [Brendan has been ill but not in the sense that he’s been illin’. Accordingly, he is fired. -ed.]
Graham: I’m either going to be playing Death Road To Canada, because it’s clear to me at this stage that the game is great but I haven’t yet put enough hours into it to find even a fraction of its secrets, or Loot Rascals. Loot Rascals is a colourful, card-carrying roguelike which is getting a final release next week, and I haven’t played it at all yet. These things must be rectified.
John: I shall be playing Horizon Zero Dawn in every tiny window I have available in an annoyingly busy weekend. It’s quite the most fantastic game, a humiliation for Ubisoft as it steals all their ideas and then does them a squillion times better. The noise you can hear is Far Cry 5 getting torn up and put in the bin.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “visit the park to see as many hummingbirds as possible before coming home” followed by “oh no what time zone do I live in and why is it sunlight now also I am sure there were more people around here a moment ago”. That is how coming back from GDC works.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Gryz says:

Still playing Dark Souls 2, SotFS. My first play-through. I started 3 weeks ago. I had already played DS1 and DS3 last year. But I had never played DS2.

I’m enjoying it. I don’t understand the discussions about which game is better. For me, all 3 DS-games are equally good and equally fun. (And all 3 have flaws).

Last weekend the “Return to Drangleic”-event started.
    link to rockpapershotgun.com
    I wonder if the game world is extra full with invaders and summoners and coop. (Tbh, I hope I won’t notice anything. I like the Dark Souls games as single-player games. I rather stick needles in my eyes than play PvP with strangers in games on the Internet).

• gabrielonuris says:

People usually say that the disconnected levels are what made DS2 the worst. I personally found it to be more dreamlike, like if I was living in a Lovecraftian tale. Like you said, every single onde of them has its flaws and its funny moments.

Andy_Panthro says:

Nobody seems to have a similar complaint about Bloodborne, where there are lots of disconnected areas (dreamlike reasons there I suppose?). I haven’t played through DS2 yet, but my initial impressions have been good, although I am surprised that some areas of the game can look so amazing while others are really ugly.

• malkav11 says:

For me it’s much more that DSII doesn’t have the same quality of worldbuilding to it that Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 do. The bosses are mostly variations of “dude with armor and a sword/lance/etc”, there’s not as much weird, creepy creativity in the area design, and so on. It’s not bad per se, it just feels more generic in a lot of spots.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

For me, it was more that the individual levels themselves were also relatively boring compared to Dark Souls or Bloodborne. A lot of them are just sprawling, flat maps that siphon you down one or two paths. You could draw most DS2 maps on a bit of graph paper, but that would be impossible with DS1 or BB, it is genuinely 3-Dimensional level design in a wonderfully brain mangling way. You can’t map it so you just have to learn it. That’s the difference for me. Still a great game though.

The randomness of which level leads in to the next just tickled me more than anything, not that disappointing. More like a Best of album that throws favourite songs next to each other in a slightly jarring way. Hardly game ruining.

DS2 is a great game, and it’s the funniest of the 3 in that Dark Souls sense of humour where the game grins at you and says “You weren’t expecting that, were you! Lols”. In many ways it’s the most fun of the 3.

• fish99 says:

The level disconnects in Bloodborne are done for story reasons and they’re explained, and there isn’t many. There’s nothing as silly as a lift at the top of a windmill, which clearly has sky above it, that goes up into a castle sunk in a sea of lava. That’s just poor quality level design, so easily avoided, and it’s not the only example. There’s also the pile of rubble your character can’t climb over so instead you kill the four hardest beings in the land to get a door to open.

That being said DS2 is a fine game in it’s own right, just not quite a masterpiece.

• Unsheep says:

The issue is whether or not people can appreciate the differences between each game in a given franchise, or genre for that matter. You can either condemn a game for being different, or enjoy its uniqueness. As far as our media is concerned you simply have to flip a coin to discover where they stand.

2. harmen says:

Finishing The Witness. I didn’t buy it when it came out because I found it looked like a bunch of boring puzzles with a silly island-GUI. But I was so very wrong. It’s great.

(Thanks to the Humble Freedom Bundle.)

• TheApologist says:

I’ve just started it after getting it in the bundle, and it’s really very good, isn’t it? The communication of how you are supposed to learn is beautiful. After just a couple of hours that island is lodged in my brain.

• panda says:

Yes, this game’s great!

3. Dekion says:

Drifting aimlessly without a rudder into the necrotic abyss. More Sunless Sea then. Would it be better with a complete journal or do I prefer playing it like brownian motion. I’m not sure. Soma next though.

4. Ghostwise says:

Had to put my Baldur’s Gate 1 playthrough on the back burner due to deadlines.

But I took the time to fire up Pillars of Eternity for the first time, just to have a 20mn look-see. The difference in graphics over 20 years was an amusing experience.

• geisler says:

You should watch some footage of where Obsidian is taking that engine with PoE 2. In my opinion isometric view it’s the most fascinating way to play a CRPG. The level they’re taking it to now, it’s almost as if you’re going to be playing on a living interactive boardgame.

5. Mud says:

To busy playing games this weekend but I’m gonna play all my old Status Quo records.

To Rick, cheers mate

6. Fomorian1988 says:

Finished my first Night in the Woods playthrough yesterday (there will be definitely more, as I’m curious about the activities with different characters I didn’t choose the first time around – I haven’t even had that knife fight), so it’s off to Torment for me, finally.

7. godunow says:

What a silly question, Torment: Tides of Numenera of course!

• LearningToSmile says:

Same.

It’s really good, and I even find myself disagreeing with some complaints from the RPS review(though I have others of my own).

I was skeptical before the game’s release, but so far it’s the best of the recent crpg revival by a long stretch.

heretic says:

How does it compare to POE?

Unfortunately I did not finish POE, just couldn’t get into the story and did not really care for the companions :(

• redhqs says:

Just finished it last night, I found it more compelling than PoE (which I still haven’t finished). I enjoyed it! I wasn’t so enamoured with the companions, but overall very impressed and there were some really stand-out moments with the writing. Didn’t think much of the combat though, so put a fair amount of effort into talking it out.

• LearningToSmile says:

You just listed the reasons I disliked PoE for, so you’ll probably like Torment. PoE was better looking though, and somewhat less buggy.

So far I’m loving the writing and the characters, the RPS review complained about Callistege but I personally really like her. And all the small vignettes and little stories you hear from the NPCs are lovely. I don’t feel the game is forcing me to read too much lore either.

When it comes to negatives, I can’t shake the feeling that the actual world came out quite a bit more generic than the source material had potential for. The first city at least is not that special, PS:T is still the uncontested champion here.

Also I want to mention one thing that will be good thing for some, but annoy others: there’s a lot of hidden content that can be a pain figuring out. For example, during interactions you can repeat the same action(say, examining an object) endlessly, mostly with the same results. But I found some spots where doing it will instead grant you an item – sometimes on the second try, sometimes even later. Sometimes there are also results to failing a skill check there are far superior to succeeding – I found an item that granted permanent increase to one of my skills after failing a skill check that would otherwise just give me some currency. So your mileage may vary.

• godunow says:

For me Pillars of Eternity (and Tyranny for that matter) is hack and slash with some fanfic-quality story pasted on.

Torment (up till now – I’m halfway through) is exact opposite – combat is really boring (and I generally prefer turn-based over rtwp) but writing is on par with good weird fiction novel. Or not a novel – dozens of mini stories (something I expected Sunless Sea to be but got dissapointed).

heretic says:

That’s good to hear, thanks a lot for the responses guys :)

teije says:

Good to hear. Just started and so far, so good.

Don Reba says:

Frankly, I’m surprised anyone plays anything else.

Thirith says:

I’m looking forward to playing Torment, but I also know that RPGs that offer a lot of choice and consequences tend to be extremely buggy at release, so I’m finishing the games I’m currently playing (mainly Dishonored 2) and will probably play Torment in a couple of months.

• malkav11 says:

It’s not a bad strategy but I honestly haven’t seen any identifiable bugs in about ten hours of play, other than something about a flame effect making that screen a bit blurry. But that’s not gameplay-related.

• Rainshine says:

With you there. Been having a substantial amount of fun just running around and chatting folks up. I am, however, annoyed at my inability to heal/rest. I found one place that would let me, but they wanted half my money, which I was unwilling to give them.

• malkav11 says:

Sell any oddities you find (they’re just loot like jewels or whatever, they have no game function) and you should have plenty of cash for occasional resting. It’s worth trying to go as long as you can between, though, both because there are status buffs that last for a rest, and because time will move on. And that will have consequences.

colinmarc says:

Lots of the oddities end up being useful in weird places :)

• Rainshine says:

I remember Planescape too much to be willing to part with junk (literally, even). Right now I’m running around with 1 HP, trying to figure out some way to heal. I know dying isn’t the end, but it seems silly to go out and get killed just to get back to full HP, and I’m not sure that the game won’t do something ‘interesting’ for the number of deaths you have.

8. caff says:

Blackwake. Yarrr!

9. Bowak says:

I’ve just added an RX480 to my PC so I’m now cracking on with the 2nd half of Witcher 3, and my god it looks amazing on ultra – I’m so glad I waited as I knew I was missing out a bit with it on just medium.

I’ll also be playing the back-up-everything-onto-my-new-external-drive game as I had a bit of a scare when fitting the new card and thought for a while I’d totally toasted my PC.

• drinniol says:

I’m in more or less the same boat – finished it when it came out on low detail, new game plus & DLC on ultra!

Grizzly says:

I’m currently replaying Dirt 2, in anticipation of the announcement of Dirt 4 later on and because I never really dived into anything other then the trailblazer and Rally content that was on offer. As it turns out, all the other content is actually also great! I am currently trying to 100% the game and I am hugely enjoying tracks and modes I had previously not paid any attention to.

• Unsheep says:

Between all the Dirt games, Dirt 2 had the most variety in it, and that’s what I really liked about it. Dirt 3 was OK but did not really offer the same amount of content, everything was smaller and shorter.

Personally, I’m looking forwards to both Dirt 4 and the newly announced Gravel game.

They are both off-road games but each will have a very different kind of focus, where Dirt 4 will be much more sim-like and realistic, and Gravel will be more arcade, like the older Dirt games.

There’s also news of Nordic releasing a remaster of the 2008 ‘Baja Edge of Control’ game, although I’m not sure if it will arrive on PC as well.

As a fan of off-road games, this will be a good year.

• Catterbatter says:

Dirt 3 is nice if you only have 15 minutes to play. 5 minutes loading and a 10 minute race. Save and done! The assists are pretty comprehensive, so you can go from arcade to near sim and anywhere in between. I think they’ve all been pulled from sale, though?

11. dangermouse76 says:

The witcher 3. Although I fear my i5 760 @ 3.8 and GTX 660 will struggle to make it look pretty.

GTX 1060 and i5 760? Would that work?

• MiniMatt says:

GTX960 (2gb) & a Haswell i5 managed to make it plenty pretty at 1920×1080, can’t remember settings but think it managed “high but not ultra” around 45-60fps

• dangermouse76 says:

There is hope. I looked at putting a second hand i7 in there but it’s not worth the money.

• Unclepauly says:

Yeah Witcher 3 does not need CPU power at all, it’s all about the GPU.

• geisler says:

In my opinion The Witcher 3 looks very decent on the lowest settings. I should know since I’ve experienced both sides of the gamut many times by playing it both on a high-end desktop and on a low-end laptop. There is a big contrast in fidelity of course, but at the lowest setting it still looks like a contemporary game, and you can very much enjoy the game’s world and artstyle without being too distracted by the lower fidelity.

To answer the GTX 1060 question, i fear it might get held back by your CPU and chipset architecture to be used at it’s full potential, but you will see improvement and might be able to play the game at medium settings at 1080p (that is if you want a smooth 60fps).

If i were you though i’d start saving up for an entire overhaul of your system if you want to be playing AAA games at high AKA “pretty” settings.

• gabrielonuris says:

I’ve played The Witcher 3 on an i5 with a GTX760 on high. It runs pretty well with 40-50 fps (I usually don’t need full on 60fps to have fun, my personal minimum requirement is 35).

• Blackcompany says:

Playing Witcher 3 as well, with the ESGO mod so I never out level enemies.

Just finished the MQ and Hearts of Stone. The former was quite good, but HoS was amazing.

So far Blood and Wine is shaping up nicely too.

• dangermouse76 says:

Yep a friend of mine just finished up all the dlc. His impression was….. That’s some impressive writing and it plays great.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I have an intel i-7 4770K @3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM and a GTX 680 and I specifically bought it from a guy so I could play The Witcher 3.

Yes, I know that the GPU is my bottleneck, but it was the best offer available and it was cheap for Swedish standards (5900 kr). I needed a new computer fast after the fans on my “gaming” laptop died and the guy I bought it from wanted some cash fast: win-win as I see it.

12. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

With bretonnia recently added to Total Warhammer, I shall be doing the logical thing and cracking on with an empire campaign. What?

• MiniMatt says:

Oooh, me too, though I’m going to finish up my Chaos stomp-thru before playing with the Monty Python Knights

Kreeth says:

Yup. Just started having a go at this and now everything is in a huge mess around 70 turns because I was paying zero attention to anything but having a huge army. Time to start over I think.

13. aircool says:

Horizon Zero Dawn does look like a good game, shame it’s not on PC.

• Ghostwise says:

And likely never will, if I understand correctly.

Kreeth says:

This annoys me. I watched a live stream and now really want to play, but there are literally zero other games I can see that I would need a Playstation for. I really can’t justify £350 for a pro+horizon bundle to only play this game. Damn you impulse control!

The only other thing I’ve seen that even vaguely interests me is ffxv and that’s (eventually) coming to pc.

• LennyLeonardo says:

But… but… The Last of Us!

• malkav11 says:

I’m sure it’s a cool game, but it’s not like there aren’t literally thousands of cool games on PC already that you could play instead.

• yogibbear says:

Nioh
        Yakuza 0
        The Last Guardian
        Bloodborne
        Uncharted 4

• welverin says:

Gravity Rush 1&2
          Tearaway
          The Uncharted Collection if they skipped the PS3 as well
          Infamous Second Son
          The upcoming God of War

• Koozer says:

Bloodborne. A console is much nicer for local multiplayer too, as rare as that kind of game is these days.

N'Al says:

AFAIK, Guerilla Games are a Sony-owned studio, so you’ll never see their games outside of Sony consoles – Killzone and Horizon Dawn included.

• Daymare says:

Got myself a PS4 Pro a month ago, ending my 15-year membership of the PC Master Race (last console I owned was an XBox).

Bought Last Guardian (not tried yet), Bloodborne (currently attempting Blood-starved beast) and played the intro of Zero Dawn. It’s beautiful, but I’m already worried it’s too much of a Ubisoft Icon’em-up. I could disable 99% of the interface tho. Will see how story, character and combat hold up.

Basically I bought the PS exclusively for those three games.

• Unsheep says:

As a source for potential inspiration, I mainly got the PS4 for these games:

* Yakuza 0
        * Driveclub
        * The Last of Us Remastered
        * MLB The Show 16
        * Nier Automata

* Detroit: Become Human
        * Gran Turismo Sport
        * Earth Defense Force 5
        * The Last of Us Part II
        * MLB The Show 17
        * Ni no Kuni II

Plus the occassional JRPG that interests me.

I also use it for games my oldish PC can’t handle well enough.

• gabrielonuris says:

So it is indeed an Ubisoft-like colectathon… Strange because John said it steals Ubisofts ideas and makes them better.

I know it’s a PS4 exclusive, but I’d love to see a small “Wot I think” about that game, because every console site I go to read a review the only thing they do is the same pretentious speak about “how the game is so pretty, and how pretty it is, because it’s pretty and all” (I find it funny how it is always us, the PC gamers, who are the graphic whores of the industry). I don’t want a screenshot review, I want a GAME review, I want to know what it’s mechanics is all about.

• Xocrates says:

I’m not super far into the game, and the last Ubisoft colectathon I’ve properly played was AssCreed 4, but compared to that one Horizon feels more involved, so to speak.

Like, most of the collectable markers will give you an area for you to look for them, and I had to buy maps for those to even show up. The sidequests, even the ones called “errands” while fairly standard stuff are still fairly developed, and the combat is actually proving to be fairly challenging – some of the machines are legitimately terrifying, and I’ve not met anything resembling the biggest ones yet – often requiring you to scout and set traps ahead of time.

As far as Ubisoft-like colectathon goes, it’s a very solid one so far, even if not particularly remarkable in terms of new ideas.

Though I really like the idea that Fast Travel is a consumable item. It discourages the usual fast travel everywhere games like Skyrim suffer from.

And to be fair to those reviews, the game is in fact really pretty.

• Ghostwise says:

Well, there’s this streaming service for PSx games to a PC, which RPS wrote about a few times. But I’m dubious, me, and it wasn’t cheap.

• welverin says:

PS Now does not include everything, and I’m pretty confident there’s nothing super new on there.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Good news: having played it for an inexcusable number of hours this weekend, I can confirm that Zero Dawn is my favourite non-Witcher open world game since Red Dead Redemption. It’s possibly even better. Happy days.

• aircool says:

Mind you, from what I’ve been hearing (and gleaning from the internet), it’s another one of those solid 7/10 games once you get used to the visuals and into the game.

Ninja Dodo says:

I bought a PS4 just so I could play The Last Guardian. Everything else is a bonus. Also looking forward to playing Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tearaway and I expect there will be others. + Batman Arkham Knight as I have doubts about the PC version and apparently it’s pretty solid on PS4.

Ninja Dodo says:

This was meant as a reply to Kreeth… though sidenote: I got a PS4 slim instead of a Pro, cause don’t have or care about 4K and couldn’t justify the extra cost for slightly higher fps or some fancy effects.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Just to say I played Arkham Knight on PC recently and it was fine, think they’ve fixed the issues but maybe I was lucky. It’s a solid game, more of the same really which is no bad thing with the Arkham games.

• Mi-24 says:

despite the bad launch I would actually say its the best arkham game, the engine seems a step up from the previous ones and the batmobile isn’t as bad as everyone says

• fish99 says:

Yeah Arkham Knight is fine now on PC, versus 30 fps lock on console. It’s also stunning.

Ninja Dodo says:

Super anecdotally someone told me they played the game on PC and it was fine until near the end they ran into a game-breaking bug and were unable to complete it… probably uncommon but between the spectacle of the PC launch and WB giving up on fixing certain rare configurations this does not inspire a lot of confidence.

Also my PC is not very fast. I can run Witcher 3, AC Unity, Mankind Divided and such at half settings with 20-30 fps (consequently could not care less about 30 fps lock) but that’s about it. Also it’s a gamepad game, so no reason to play it with a mouse. It just seems like chances of a good experience are higher on PS4 with this one.

(if you have both platforms anyway)

• fish99 says:

Why would you play it on a mouse on PC? I used a wireless 360 pad. As for performance, yeah obviously that only applies if your PC can run it better than a PS4, which would require probably a GTX970 or better.

Ninja Dodo says:

What I mean is that if I were to play this on PC I would play it with a gamepad, same as console, so unlike say an FPS there’s no reason to prefer PC for that.

• fish99 says:

Ok, fair enough.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

No no no, that is not the console exclusive we are pining for – Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks INCREDIBLE. Oh to have that on PC (or the mulah to get a Switch).

PS4s are great though, especially if you haven’t playstationed in a while, I picked one up primarily to play Bloodborne but have loved the Uncharteds, Last of Us, and playing Pro Evo and Rocket League from the comfort of the sofa. Last Guardian, Nioh and Horizon are on the wishlist but, yeah, Horizon has had some mixed reviews on sites I trust. Think it’s one of those that the graphical shine is winning people over, nobody will be talking about it in 2 years time. Zelda, though…

14. Vandelay says:

Had hoped to be playing new Zelda, but I went to Amazon yesterday to order it and there was a big “Currently unavailable” next to the Wii U version. How they do not have enough copies for us 5 Wii U owners I do not know!

So, I ordered from Shopto. Dispatched yesterday late afternoon, but I don’t trust Royal Mail to organise it for today, so expect I will have to wait until Monday.

Instead, I might be playing a few other Wii U games to remind me how underappreciated that system was. Played some Super Mario 3D Worlds last night and it is such a joyous experience. I also discovered I had a 24 hour pass to Wii Sports Club and had some fun with those. Most are fluff, but I was quite impressed with the golf game, so might give that another play before the time limit runs out this evening.

In PC land, I am continuing to work through my Steam games with AI Wars. I had forgotten how to play this, so had to play tutorial, but now ready to give it a good try this time around. There are just so many units and buildings to place that it all gets a bit daunting. I also got Homeworld Remastered earlier this week (as great as I remember,) and Devil Daggers. Reached 160~ seconds after about a couple of hours play. Definitely want to try and add a few onto that.

• ButteringSundays says:

“How they do not have enough copies for us 5 Wii U owners I do not know!”

😂

• Vandelay says:

Ok, scrap all of those game plans. Zelda arrived!!! This will be a weekend spent in Hyrule.

15. harvb says:

Have only just discovered Fallout 4, which, while average, is becoming addictive. So that.

16. ButteringSundays says:

Endless Legend added it’s war not love content even though they didn’t win – so that’s reminded me that I have that on my list! Started a playthrough yesterday and am enjoying it. Only have about 6 hours total in game but what I’ve seen improves the Civ format in almost every way. I also like the fantasy setting. As much as I like history (big CKII fan), Civ isn’t history – it’s a fantasy setting that uses historic actors in completely out of context ways, on land masses that don’t provide the context to their ruling style (which is often innacurate). Which I know has become somewhat of a running joke, but I don’t really see it as a positive myself.

So yes, Endless Legend! :)

Andy_Panthro says:

Stardew Valley, Dragon’s Dogma, Torment: TON, maybe a little Dark Souls 2: SotFS (PS4) or Steamworld Heist (PS4).

I’d also really like to get into Death Road to Canada, but I’m absolutely terrible at the game and die before anything really interesting happens.

particlese says:

I’m thinking about starting in on my Kickstarted copy of either Torment, Four Sided Fantasy, or République, but I had buckets o’ fun with ESO pvp last week, so I’ll probably play more of that, too. Gotta work that out of my system before Morrowind comes along and I restrict myself to long walks along the Bitter Coast, no?

Don Reba says:

Torment is amazing! I also really liked République, but I see how it has the potential to be boring for someone else.

particlese says:

Cool, good to hear! I followed the République podcast* for quite a while (I think spoilers must’ve started at some point), and I have the impression from that that I’ll not be one of the bored folks. The devs and their staff have also been pretty awesome whenever I’ve communicated with them, so I’m looking forward to actually playing their game soon.

But alas (or yay?), I ended up merely whittling down my “unfinished” list instead of the above** – Squarecells, Skyrim, …

*Camouflaj Radio, if anyone’s interested; also on iTunes

**Erm, aside from the eso pvp. To all nice people curious about that side of the game: please go with the Aldmeri Dominion. It’s socially much more pleasant there.

Don Reba says:

I’ve been following Camouflaj Radio from the start, it’s one of the best game development podcasts. Actually, I was shocked to learn from #33 that the company nearly went under when Square Enix closed Shinra Technologies.

19. Unsheep says:

Tried some Nioh. It reminded me of Ninja Gaiden + Onimusha + Demon’s Souls. I’m not into these kinds of games anymore, so it’s a Pass for me, but it was fun to check it out.

Otherwise I have my typical eclectic mix:

* Yakuza 0 … one of my favourite franchises
    * Forza 6 … of-course I still have cars to collect
    * Halcyon 6 … a cool game that’s very hard to put down
    * Euro Truck 2 … my logistics empire keeps on growing

20. Mi-24 says:

First off: recovering from an Oh-dear-god-why-did-we-think-this-was-a-good-idea-LOTR-extended-edition-marathon-lasting-12-hours-and-starting-at-11-last-night.

Also in a mood for WW2 games (mostly SE4 which is excellent) after watching inglorious basterds again (also excellent)

21. hoho0482 says:

Zelda breath of the wild, and as always these days, 7 days to die with some mates in a PvP world.

Lars Westergren says:

Torment, and a bit Night In The Woods.

I was hooked on Darkest Dungeon, but I had three team wipes close to each other and ALL my fav characters died and now I just feel angry when I start it.

I want to play Subnautica but I have started over many times already and I’m afraid I will get fed up with it before all the content is in. Hurry up and put in the end game please, basically.

AutonomyLost says:

Horizon Zero Dawn, all weekend. What a god damn good game. Buying a PS4 Pro for the exclusives is not a bad idea!

24. LennyLeonardo says:

I will be playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my time machine. I call it that because it lets me play this wonderful game from a happy future where open world games are fun again. A PC release would be a fine thing.

25. Darth Gangrel says:

“Adam… will watch two or three mediocre 2016 movies. I see some airlines have La La Land and Inferno. God help him.” It’s not like movies who win 6 Oscars can’t be bad, but putting La La Land and Inferno together seems kind of unfair.

• Vandelay says:

And La La Land clearly isn’t bad. Even those that don’t enjoy it should at least be able to recognise the elements of it that are brilliantly crafted.

Personally, I didn’t think it was the second coming that many built it up to be and I thought the director’s previous film, Whiplash, was overall superior, but I still found La La Land to be very, very good (second best musical of the year though, after Sing Street.) I’ve not had a chance to see Moonlight, but it sounds like it was overall the deserving winner, but that shouldn’t take away how much of a good time LLL was.

• malkav11 says:

Whoa. I didn’t realize La La Land was from the director of Whiplash, which was easily one of the best movies in its year. Between that and liking the leads I may have to get over my general disinclination to watch musicals.

• Vandelay says:

Yep, his second feature film as director and barely in his 30s. It is one of the most amazing things about La La Land, as it feels like it is made by a real veteran of Hollywood.

As to the comment below about watching it on aeroplane, yes, I fully expect that it would suffer greatly from watching it on a small screen. Doesn’t make it any lesser of a film for it though. You mention 2001, which I only saw on the big screen a year or two ago. I had such an epiphany watching it, as I had previously found it good, but plodding. That doesn’t make me think that 2001 “isn’t all that,” but the complete opposite.

Thirith says:

Oh, I totally agree with you. Sorr, my comment obviously wasn’t clear. Basically I think that La La Land was one of the last year’s best films, but there are plenty of people Who think it’s overrated because it’s a musical, because it isn’t thematically important or timely, or for whatever reason. Best way to convince yourself that a visually great film is overrated is to watch it on a teensy screen while sitting uncomfortably.

Thirith says:

I’d imagine that the best way to confirm that La La Land isn’t all that is to watch it on a teensy airplane screen. It’s a fantastic example of movie craft, but like so many of these it deserves to be seen on a big screen, otherwise it loses a lot. Not unlike watching 2001 or Fury Road on an iPhone.

26. shoptroll says:

Keeping with my Nintendo/PC dual-classing, it’s Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild weekend, with maybe some Snipperclips as well.

27. Paul B says:

Continuing my Divinity: Original Sin marathon. Had to restart the game after realising you can save up ability points instead of needing to spend them each time you level up. Also, getting to grips with the fact you’ve got to treat the battle-field like a huge sandbox and plan accordingly.

28. malkav11 says:

On my own time, a mix of Torment: Tides of Numenera, which I am absolutely adoring so far, and Hex: Shards of Fate since they just released the latest card set and there’s a holiday event on (delayed by the delay of the set 6 patch).

But I have also convinced someone to play Borderlands 2 with me finally, so as and when she’s available there will hopefully be plenty of that as well. The Psycho is pretty entertaining so far.

subdog says:

Stories Untold, which is excellent so far except for one specific headache inducing nightmare. Taking the episodes slowly, one a day.

Clearing out some backlog: Never Alone, Neon Struct, and Sam and Max season 3. All three are good, not great.

Seyda Neen says:

Stories Untold here as well. I’ll play the last episode tonight or tomorrow night.

30. Iamblichos says:

I’m playing a rousing game of “let’s reinstall all the Steam games and restore all our files from backup, because my SSD dropped its partition thanks to the software firewall uninstall.”

It’s even more fun than it sounds. Yay.

31. Horg says:

Path of Exile Legacy League. A great time for anyone to hasn’t given the game a go to try it out, as this league incorporates core mechanics from all previous league events. Also it’s the last run through the game before patch 3.0, which is effectively the first expansion, changes everything.

32. clonex10100 says:

I’m going to play some of the games I got in the freedom bundle. Any suggestions? So far I’ve played subnautica, nuclear throne, overgrowth, and octodad.

• Koozer says:

Sproggiwood is a nice, short, easy-going roguelike, with light-hearted and entertaining dialogue.

• Catterbatter says:

I’m up for some suggestions as well. Did you already have VVVVVV? That’s easily one of the best games of this decade.

• Catterbatter says:

I’m also excited to try Nuclear Throne, since I haven’t played any of this new wave of twin stick shooters. Robotron is my favorite game of all time, so I’m hopeful.

Ninja Dodo says:

The Witness is a good one to play on and off and casually explore as you let the puzzles percolate in the back of your mind.

33. Kaeoschassis says:

Treated myself to an early birthday present and actually bought an expensive game for once, so this weekend I’m gradually digging into the magnificence that is Distant Worlds: Universe (following the various recommendations on this very site, naturally).

At the point now where I can just about get it to do what I want – the interface really isn’t anywhere near as bad as people say – and I’m enjoying myself enormously, y’all were very right. Getting very occasional memory related crashes but on the whole it actually works on my rusty old laptop very well, so I’m very chuffed. Seriously haven’t fallen for a game this quickly or completely in years and years.

• spleendamage says:

I want to check this out.

And I have a feeling my Battle Brothers (ironman) game is about to take a terrible turn. After the initial slog, my front line melee folks are levelled up and all have metal helmets and decent armor. The last few missions have been relatively smooth and … easy?

So after the inevitable, impending total party wipe, I’ll pick this one up!

teije says:

It’s quite an impressive game, especially considering the tiny studio that put it out. Sunk many hours into it a few years ago.

34. fish99 says:

I would be playing Zelda BotW on Wii U, but a bunch of people didn’t get their game. Not sure whether it’s Amazon UK or Nintendo’s fault.

So I’ll be playing more of the new The Hunter: Call of the Wild, which will be a great game/hunting sim once it’s fixed up and has more stuff to hunt (i.e. DLC). It has probably the best outdoor environments you’re going to see in a game when you combine close-up detail to the huge draw distance and superb lighting and weather. The gameplay is fun and challenging too, and pretending to shoot animals really shouldn’t be any more objectionable than pretending to shoot cops in GTA, or pretending to kill bandits in Skyrim.

35. Cyrus says:

Witcher, always Witcher these days.
    And it’s the second game this time around.

darrrrkvengeance says:

Finally getting around to XCOM2, which is as fantastic as I had hoped. (Also probably The Last Guardian on PS4.)

37. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

I saw the main story to its end in Rise of the Tomb Raider. It’s a marked improvement over the previous one. The endangered species Lara casually relieves of their skins and lives might beg to differ.

The Endurance mode is also a welcome addition, as Alec pointed out when it first came out. On my last attempt I arduously brought myself back from the brink of death from freezing and starving over a period of several days until I poisoned myself with my own arrows while hunting a boar. So much for the renowned archaeologist.

38. welverin says:

Assassin’s Creed Unity, finished up the main game and moved onto the Dead Kings dlc. Not sure if I’ll go back and bother with any of the side missions or not. Regardless, once I’m done with that I’ll be all caught up with AC after skipping a couple of years due to burn out.

Also, some Destiny.

Ninja Dodo says:

How did you find it? I quite enjoyed this one despite being kind of burned out on the series aside from occasional frustrating bits (unfair detection, occasional control issues). It’s one of the better cities they’ve created. Paris is stunning. I did not care for the Dead Kings DLC, finding it much too linear (and having long since lost interest in the series’ narrative) but the main game was fun, also the co-op was surprisingly good when you took the time to stealth it properly instead of trying to brute force your way through combat.

39. kerndaddy says:

I’m all about the Nioh right now.

40. fiendling says:

Strangely enough, Marvel Heroes 2016. I am having an absolute blast with some of the the lesser-known heroes after the game’s “Biggest Update Ever” overhaul.

41. second_hand_virgin says:

SteamWorld Heist, or that fantastic turn-based platformer game, where, after a long phase of planning and careful considerations, you still may kill all your team members with one unfortunately ricocheting grenade. Fun, will die again.

Big Dunc says:

Something casual on my tablet like Fallout Shelter as I have children and absolutely no time to myself to play PC games.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’m only just now getting around to Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I like it a lot so far. Having the post prologue intro at the train station be a first-person cutscene with no interactivity is an odd choice (much like the on-rails lab introduction in Human Revolution, which I can only assume was down to not enough time to create an explorable space, still kind of a shame) but after that it really opens up. Prague is great. There’s something about dense compact urban spaces (see also Human Revolution, original Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines) that is endlessly fascinating.

Don Reba says:

Why leave out DE:IW? All of its spaces are dense and compact.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve barely played it and did not find what I saw of its world as interesting. Not opposed to giving it another try but backlog is such that there are too many other games, both old and new, that I am more excited about.

Don Reba says:

I played it after Human Revolution and felt like it was the Deus Ex sequel I was looking for. Not necessarily better, there is certainly a lot to criticize it for, such as very… compact levels, but it is much closer to the original game. And it is consistently good, without anything like HR’s dreadful ending.

Ninja Dodo says:

Human Revolution grabbed me in a way Invisible War did not. For me I think it was mainly missing the atmosphere. Does seem like it did a bunch of cool things though, particularly with emergent gameplay. (incidentally, this is quite interesting re: development of that game: link to youtube.com )

44. panda says:

If I had free time, I’d play Robot Recall some more. This game is just fantastic!

45. geldonyetich says:

I’ll be playing of the Zelda: Breath Of The Wild for quite some time, methinks. It has been compared to Skyrim and Witcher 3, but it has better gameplay and charm than both, albeit the graphics are not as sharp as either, and it’s not nearly as adult in some ways (especially considering Geralt’s sexual exploits). It’s hard to care about its shortcomings when what it does well is done so very well.