Hey, you got your shmup in my tower defense! X-Morph: Defense announced

Twin-stick shooter and tower defense will smoosh together in X-Morph: Defense [official site], the next game from Zombie Driver developers Exor Studios. We’ll come to Earth as invaders terraforming the planet for robotkind, dealing with the local ‘humons’ and their pesky armies by building gun towers and zipping around in our own little gunship. I burned out on tower defense after playing loads during the noughties TD craze but now, heck yeah this looks a load of fun. See for yourself in the announcement trailer:

It’s a tower defense! Humon forces will come in waves to attack the harvesters you have sucking on the planet. It has a dash of mazing, letting players build walls to direct and funnel the humons. Obviously you have a load of different towers with different attacks.

It’s a twin-stick shooter! The eponymous X-morph is a transforming aircraft, with different modes specialising in attacking different types of units. Oh, and its bomber mode specialises in bombing to destroy buildings, bridges, and other environmental things that can smash enemies and shape the map. Nice.

That combo sounds pretty fun but I also dig the Hollywood scale of it all. Buildings collapse, waves of tanks are destroyed like toy cars, and the humons fight back with mega-units like skyscraper-sized mecha. Nice! That’s the best way to fight alien invasion. Oh, and I dig the sound of co-op too.

I think the trailer is meant to draw on Michael Bay’s Transformers movies but, to be honest, I’ve only ever seen The Asylum’s dire knock-off Transmorphers: Fall of Man so what do I know?

X-Morph: Defense is coming “soon” to Steam. Exor announced it in February but hey, I’m telling you now. I quite liked their Zombie Driver, enjoying an afternoon of arcade vroomzapping, and you might also remember Exor for Half-Life 2 car combat mod D.I.P.R.I.P.

From this site

1. Kollega says:

I’ve been wondering where the EXOR guys were. Turns out, they’ve been creating a game that I thought someone should have created long ago.

See, for a while now I wanted a real-time tactics game with environmental destruction, where blowing holes in buildings might give a tactical advantage, and taking down helicopters may result in them crashing into buildings underneath – and while this is tower defense, the idea of destroying buildings to visibly block off enemy paths and funnel tanks into kill zones seems even more fitting. Go, EXOR, you crazy developer people. I have faith in you.

2. Vedharta says:

I need this!

3. Syrion says:

Before Zombie Driver these guys made an awesome online-multiplayer vehicular combat mod for Half-Life 2 called “D.I.P.R.I.P.”, really showing off how versatile the Source engine is. It’s on Steam, but I doubt anyone still plays it. Despite for my taste sticking far too long with Zombie Driver, EXOR really show some creativity with their creations.

4. Bobtree says:

That’s just a sickening amount of screen shaking. I won’t buy games with continual screen shake unless there is a confirmed option to disable it.

• EXORStudios says:

We know that some people don’t like camera shake, so there is an option to completely disable it.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

OMG devs are among us. Gonna ask you something cool to notice me.

Um… hellou.

• Kollega says:

Oh! If the EXOR people are here, I’ve got a question! I am likely to buy this game either way, but how does the plot play the whole “you are the destructive invading aliens” thing? I presume that means you’re playing as the bad guys (even if the local military doesn’t look too friendly either – good guys don’t usually build giant scorpion robots to fight other nations long before the aliens show up!), but what kind of bad guys those are? Is there a justification for their actions, or are the aliens you’re playing as “card-carrying villains”, like in Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius? Or does the game approach it in some other way? Or does it simply disregard the plot for the most part?

• EXORStudios says:

We’re happy to answer your questions :)

The story is told from the X-Morphs’ point of view. For them Earth is just a random planet along the way and they didn’t expect to encounter any intelligent life forms. Either way their plan is to take over the planet. At first the X-Morph disregard humans as a threat, but it quickly turns out that things won’t go as smoothly as they expected…

We also show how humans react to the invasion in the form of deciphered military communications. Story dialogue is voiced by Tori Kamal (who also voiced Zombie Driver) and Michael McConnohie (who voiced the Lich King in World of Warcarft amongst many other roles). We probably should make a developer video about this ;)

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Can you be more pacific? Did he voice ‘Arthas’ or the Arthas/Nerzhul gestalt demigod ‘The Lich King’?

• Kollega says:

The facts that for X-Morphs, Earth is just a random planet that they want to colonize, and that the actor who voiced the Lich King is invited, make me think that the player character will be kind of like Megatron, or any other deliciously over-the-top space conqueror – which would be actually pretty cool in my book. So long as the plot isn’t too serious about itself (which is what I’m wondering about, pretty much), I’ll be happy to follow it.

• EXORStudios says:

You can check out Michael’s performance of the Lich King here:
            link to youtu.be

He is a very experienced actor who voiced tons of games and anime:
            link to en.wikipedia.org

We’re very happy to be working with Michael :) In X-Morph: Defense he plays the role of the commander of earth’s defense forces. The X-Morph is played by Tori Kamal and he does sound like an over the top planet conqueror. Megatron actually was one of our sources of inspiration for the voice.

5. luspholopos says:

Registered just to say that splitscreen won this over for me. Sadly so many developers seem to ignore it this days or do not consider it profitable.

6. Heliocentric says:

Split screen, desert strikey, tower defence, yeah, go on then.

7. Da5e says:

It’s Herzog Zwei – But On The PC.

Comment on this story