Fire Pro Wrestling World chokeslamming PC this summer

It’s no secret that one favourite activity in the RPS treehouse is chokeslamming and powerbombing each other. I’m delighted, then, to see Spike Chunsoft announce a revival of the long-running Fire Pro Wrestling series – and this time on PC too. I’ve not played its console iterations but I have heard good things about proper, serious wrestling simulation and welcome more of that. Wrestling on PC is dominated by 2K’s so-so WWE games so, even if the new Fire Pro Wrestling World [official site] is unattractive (and it is!), it’d be nice to have a serious competitor for the belt.

Spike Chunsoft announced the new Fire Pro last week, popping out this trailer:

Talking up features, Spike Chunsoft say:

UNLIMITED CUSTOMIZATION
Create your dream wrestler from over a thousand devastating moves and even more body parts to battle for custom championship belts. Personalize the ring, mat logos and even the referee!

REALISTIC SIMULATION
Give your creations personalities with a robust CPU logic system that defines their every action. Does your wrestler play to the crowd, or play dirty? You provide actors for the ringside drama.

From what I know about the series, that’s not exaggeration. Deep wrestling! Along with singleplayer, it’ll offer local and online multiplayer.

Spike Chunsoft plan to bring Fire Pro Wrestling World to Steam Early Access this summer. They plan to gather feedback on what players want from it, expanding customisation while adding new modes and match options.

Grasshopper’s Suda51, who started in games with Fire Pro years ago and has carried that torch with suplexes aplenty in No More Heroes, isn’t involved with this but has popped up to offer his support:

From this site

1. MonkeyJug says:

Yes! Loved this on the Dreamcast, even though it was only available via Jap import.

I still play Mat Mania to this day, too!

The times are definitely a-changing. Gameplay is becoming king again. Presentation and graphics are secondary…

• CartonofMilk says:

that’s always been the case?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Lol, I always buy games for the gameplay and (backlog disregarded) don’t have a problem finding games where the gameplay is the main focus.

Still, grahics are important in every game. Bad graphics doesn’t mean you spent more effort in other areas and a game with good gameplay doesn’t “require” bad graphics. Indie games are considered to put gameplay first, not succumbing to (or being financially able to succumb to) graphical photo realistic-like prettiness. Yet, what does RPS and many other here frequently say about indie games they like or are reading about: Oh, I like the graphics!

2. DingDongDaddio says:

I tried really hard to get in to one of the PS1 versions of this game and it was pretty awful. Everything you hear about the game sounds incredible, then you play it and it becomes impossible to appreciate…

Strikes have nonsensically specific hitboxes and all grapples boil down to whoever hits the button first wins?

I don’t know. I wont pretend to understand that I knew what I was doing, but I put at least 3 hours in with a guide at my side to help me figure out the mechanics and it never got any better for me. This game needs some serious streamlining/

3. CartonofMilk says:

Despite all their numerous flaws there is no world in which the current WWE games are not better games than FPW in every regard. To claim anything else is being deluded.

• Da5e says:

Grr, let’s be needlessly tribal about which game about men in their pants pretending to have a fight we like!

C’mon, FPW games are great.

4. Norro says:

Besides, everybody knows that ‘The Main Event’ arcade game is the best wrestling game of all time.

5. Spacewalk says:

In totally unexpected and totally awesome news today…