GOG’s big spring sale has started, is great

You’d think I should have learned that spring follows winter but no, spring is almost here and here I am surprised again. GOG are so keen for spring to arrive that they’ve launched a spring sale a fortnight early (astronomical seasons rule ok). Over 500 games are on sale from today through to Sunday, including some real crackers. GOG don’t just do old games these days, remember. It’s a good’un with good games at good prices. I’ve picked out a few from the megalist myself but please do share your personal picks in the comments too.

There are load of obvious picks all across GOG’s site so, er, here are some of those obvious picks but also a few you might not think of.

Broforce for £2.99 (75% off). Big-bang shooty platforming with squillions of cameos from action movie stars. I don’t massively dig it myself but do respect Wot Adam Thinks.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons for £1.99 (85% off). Heart-tugging puzzle-platforming with the neat idea of directing two brothers with each half of a controller. Check out Wot John Thinks and Brendan’s Have You Played? thoughts.

Crypt of the Necrodancer for £2.79 (75% off). The rhythm dungeon crawler was one of Pip’s favourite games of 2015 and, as she’s away today, she’d be jolly riled if I didn’t mention it.

Darkest Dungeon for £9.49 (50% off). Fantastic tactical RPG action with mmmostly fair megapunishing difficulty – and now a shorter, less grindy mode too. Our favourite dungeon crawler of 2016. Check out The Mechanic’s look at its combat too.

Invisible Inc for £4.99 (67% off). Wonderful turn-based stealth from Klei, and one of our favourites of 2015. See also: Wot Quinns Thought; The RPS Verdict; and The Mechanic.

Kentucky Route Zero for £10.90 (50% off). Absolutely vital magical realist adventure. It started amazing, continued to be great, and yup, still is. Roll on episode 5!

Shardlight £3.69 (60% off). Wadjet Eye published this post-apocalyptic adventure game. John’s Wot I Think called it “Grown up, well written, carefully paced, and genuinely interesting to explore.”

Soma for £8.09 (67% off). Spooky-ooky undersea first-person horror from the creators of Amnesia. Read Wot Adam Thought. If you’re a mega-babby, you might be interested in this non-violence mod.

Tales from the Borderlands for £4.79 (75% off). I don’t like Borderlands or many Telltale games but I dug this silly sci-fi adventure.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GotY Edition for £20.99 (40% off). The Witcher 3 is amazing and so are its two expansions. The best open-world game of 2015 and one of the prettiest, best-written, and best-acted RPGs. The Mechanic; folklore not fantasy; Cobbo looking back; The Women of The Witcher 3; and Alec’s diaries.

The Witness for £15 (50% off). J. Blo’s puzzle island is a treat for the eyes and a source of scratching for the head. Our favourite puzzle game of 2016. See also: our Wot I Think; The Mechanic; Pip’s look at its world; the joys of taking notes.

Way of the Samurai 4 £10.99 (50% off). Silly ‘historical’ RPG in a small but wildly branching sandbox world. I really dug Cobbo’s look at its replayability so for half-price, yeah, I might bite.

This spring sale will end on March 12th at 11pm UTC. That’s a week before spring even starts, you big sillies.

There are many, many more great games on sale. If you’re incensed over any I left out, tell us all why it’s great won’t you?

From this site

1. Darth Gangrel says:

What, again?! I almost feel like sending out an SOS, because of these Sale-On-Sale situations. It’s almost as bad as Alec’s rants about one game taking all the spots in his weekly Steam charts articles.

Soon, the sale singularity will appear (the sale-ularity) and there will both be a never ending sale and never again a sale, because you can’t tell the difference between a sale and a not-sale when things are constantly on sale.

• Kefren says:

And yet, games from my wishlist aren’t the ones getting reductions. :-)

• MiniMatt says:

I remember back in ‘t day when t’were all fields ’round ‘ere, and the only sale for miles around was the Eternal DFS sale

2. jezcentral says:

Every time I read about GOG launching a Sale, my first thought is, “Ooh, Steam must be having their sale in the next few weeks”.

• Ghostwise says:

Yes, that’s the main function of GoG sales for me as well. :-)

• godunow says:

Oh, sorry to hear that! I love Gog sales, mostly because I prefer my games coming without golden handcuffs…

Drib says:

GoG isn’t always DRM free, and it’s not like Steam is actually terribly intrusive. I get that DRM can be a hassle, but calling steam ‘golden handcuffs’ is a little over the top, man. Choose your battles.

• godunow says:

I am definately not in position to battle anyone.

I prefer my games without any form drm (I find steam being a form of drm – and I feel it limits my freedom). I’m not fanatic about it, and if I want to play Civ 6 I do it on steam. But having same game in the same price on Gog and Steam (for example choosing kickstarter rewards) I see no reason to choose the latter. Your Mileage May Vary.

• Sin Vega says:

GoG isn’t always DRM free

Yes it is. Buy the game, download the installer, keep it as long as you like, back it up as many times as you like, install it as many times as you like. It doesn’t force you to connect to the internet or enter a code or log in or anything once you’ve downloaded it, and you don’t need any kind of third party software (not even winrar/7zip/etc) to do it. That’s precisely why a lot customers prefer it.

• grrrz says:

I had to create a steam account to play Isaac, and it was not as bad as I imagined (or rememberd) to be honest. Still besides the fact it’s a DRM, it takes a lot longer to launch a steam game (it has to check update, launch steam, then launch the game) than a standard game you install with gog. I find using gog more straightforward.

• ansionnach says:

Can you provide examples of gog games that aren’t DRM-free? I only know of one, Neverwinter Nights Diamond. It has had the DRM removed for single-player, but not multiplayer. You even have to email gog for a multiplayer code before you can start playing. The game then checks all clients that connect and ensures they have different codes. Ironically, it may be why it is consistently one of gog’s top sellers…

• ButteringSundays says:

Eh, if the golden handcuffs are the cost of having my games receive updates at the right time and tie into my ecosystem it’s a cost I’m happy to pay.

I’m always happy to have DRM free games for when I want to play something during the 2057 apocalypse and i manage to find a machine capable of doing so – but for now I’ll take my Steam key thanks.

• grrrz says:

if you want a client to manage updates and such, GOG has you covered too
            link to gog.com

• Arkayjiya says:

I have zero problem with my updates on GoG, it works perfectly, is as non intrusive as Steam. Nowadays I see absolutely zero reason to favor Steam over GoG for games available on both platforms.

• Meatpopsicle says:

One problem with buying GoG over steam is if you want multiplayer, not all games have cross play. And I’d imagine if MP was important you’d prefer to go with the bigger (longer lasting) community.

3. shinkshank says:

Not to take away from GOG, cause this is a really good sale, but if you want The Witness even cheaper, it’s this month’s Humble Monthly headliner for 12 bucks, plus you get 5-6 other games which are usually pretty good.

Lars Westergren says:

I think it’s too late to sign up for this months bundle. Once they release and you know what it contains, your first delivery will be next month.

subdog says:

Nah. The headliner is revealed at the start of the month, the rest of the bundle at the end. The Witness bundle is buyable through March.

Lars Westergren says:

Right you are.

link to humblebundle.com

• kalzekdor says:

Technically, the headliner is revealed the month before, and if you pay early you can get the headliner immediately. The Witness is included in the April bundle, which unlocks, funnily enough, at the beginning of April. Of course, the only difference is 2-3 days (March’s bundle unlocked on March 3rd), so I’m just nitpicking here.

• welverin says:

Isn’t it the first Friday of the month?

• kalzekdor says:

@welverin

It may very well be. I hadn’t noticed that, just that it wasn’t the first.

• ButteringSundays says:

And was included in the Freedom Bundle which surely everybody bought (and causes me to wonder what the hell Humble are doing using it as their title game a month later for monthly…)

• kalzekdor says:

Bought The Freedom Bundle? Get $5 Credit instead.

• MacTheGeek says:

If that was a $5 credit against the monthly bundle (read: 5-6 mystery games for $7, plus a Witness key for family/friends), I’d jump at it. Instead, though, it’s a $5 credit to the Humble Store, a place in which I’ve never found a game to my liking at a price cheaper than elsewhere.

So I can spend $12 to get a $5 store credit, or I can hit the pause button for a month. Haven’t decided yet, but I’m leaning toward the latter.

• kalzekdor says:

It’s a $5 credit for the store or a Witness key, you don’t get both. I have a subscription for the monthly bundle mainly because I like getting a handful a random games. If I knew everything that was in the bundle beforehand, it wouldn’t be as fun.

4. Flangie says:

Was hoping Owlboy would be on this as I missed it last time. But no luck, and it’s actually more expensive here than on Steam! Ah well….

• Jalan says:

One of two items on my wishlist (the other is Crysis, which is on sale for as likely as low as it’ll ever get even on GOG) and I too was disappointed not to see it discounted. I’m a patient person though.

5. Michael Fogg says:

Age of Decadence -75% off for old school rpg fans

6. Frank says:

Your Witcher 3 link is borked.

darrrrkvengeance says:

Fran Bow’s been on my radar for a while, so I’ll probably pick it up — seeing as how it’s a mere $3.74. (No idea when I’ll possibly find the time to play it, though, which is really the problem with all these sales.)

8. Ejia says:

If you’re inclined towards the ol’ space 4X (and I do love them, myself) The Last Federation with both expansions (link to gog.com) is 80% off.

9. adias says:

I think i have all of them (in this list anyway) except for Kentucky Route Zero. May be the time to get it finally.

• Nucas says:

with the understanding that it’s an episodic game that came out four years ago and still isn’t finished..

10. Greg says:

There’s not much in the way of saves there. I’ve seen a lot of these 500 titles on sale for much less. That said, GoG has one of the most highly sought games now… SWAT 4 Gold. It wasn’t on sale, but I had to buy it anyways ;P.

MajorLag says:

I have to say, The Witness is incredible. It’s not without it’s problems, and there’s at least one optional section that will make you want to punch Blow in the face, but the vast majority of the puzzles are great, the scenery is beautiful, and it is possibly the most philosophical game ever made.

If for some reason you didn’t pick it up in the Freedom bundle, you should do it now.

Note: Many of the puzzle’s in The Witness will probably be impossible if you’re color blind. By their very nature, however, there really isn’t anything that could have been done to solve this. The same could be said for tone-deaf bastards like myself and a different set of puzzles, though I personally was able to muddle through them.

• Jalan says:

Referring to the phonograph challenge?

Not to say I disagree but like you said – it is optional and it seems like the intention for it even being there was to provide something truly challenging in an otherwise relaxed pace game.

MajorLag says:

Problem is it isn’t so much challenging your skill and speed as your luck with the puzzle generation. Get an easy orange maze puzzle and the later section will slow you down a lot less, for instance.

Ultimately, I did still like it and think it was a worthwhile addition, if only because it can show the player their own relationship with challenges.

12. JNB says:

I ordered the expansion pass for Witcher 3 and was also given the GOTY version for free. (The GOTY version as a separate game in my GOG library)

It’s a nice touch.