Cult hit: Crusader Kings 2’s Monks & Mystics DLC is out

Cults and orders of assassins, satananiacs, Hermetics, monks, and more are now roaming the historical simulation of Crusader Kings 2 [official site], if you buy the latest expansion anyway. Paradox today launched Monks and Mystics, which boshes in secret (and not-so secret) orders who reward loyalty with handy abilities, pops in holy relics and masterwork weapons, and more. In short, yes, you can sacrifice people in Lucifer’s name and try to summon a familiar.

As is the Paradox way, also out today is a big new update free for all players. It brings new features, useful changes, welcome fixes, and things that, y’know, sound funny. Sadly, the endless carousing has ended.

Monks and Mystics is £10.99/14,99€/$14.99 on Steam and Paradox’s store. This trailer peeps at some of the expansion’s features but the changelog for Update 2.7 gets way more into it.

That changelog also covers the free update. Here are some bits in update 2.7 which made me say “Ooh!” or smile.

• Gone are the days when you are forced to abandon the old ways, as you are able to falsely confess to a new religion while still keeping true to your faith in secret
  • With enough Prestige, a ruler with a secret religion can create a cult to recruit more members
  • When eating your prisoners, you can now attract a non-serious disease
  • An educator will no longer get the option to teach their student about their area of expertise if the student is dead
  • Fixed it being possible to bypass the carousing cooldown at the end of carousing by starting a new round of carousing before interacting with the “end” event
  • Court Physicians should no longer ask you to punish them when they mistreat themselves
  • Made some fixes to the ‘Meddling Mother’ events – No longer will she dislike herself if she is your spouse or councillor, or try to seduce herself

Paradox say update 2.7 should work fine with game saves from 2.6 but juuust in case you might want to hold back if you really want to hang onto a save.

1. Seafoam says:

*Wife burns to death from a blinding light from the sky*
    “Hahaha! Whoo boy, that’s my wife everyone! She really can ball like no other lemme tell ya.”

2. GernauMorat says:

“When eating your prisoners, you can now attract a non-serious disease”

“Fixed it being possible to bypass the carousing cooldown at the end of carousing by starting a new round of carousing before interacting with the “end” event”

Sounds like a good party

• Blad the impaler says:

A literal carousel of carousal.

• Anarchy_101 says:

There’s a twitter feed (for the life of me I can’t remember the name) that is just hilarious non sequitur patch notes.

I think roughly a quarter of them are from CK2.

3. riadsala says:

I’m curious. Has Alice ever played CK2? She seems to be the main person at RPS who posts about it these days, but she never talks about actually playing the game?

• Pogs says:

Regardless of whether she plays it, imho reading Alice’s writing is more entertaining than playing CC2 so I think the point is moot and I do like a good moot.

• ukpanik says:

“Is this new expansion any good? What does she think of it? Would she recommend it? How does it compare to previous DLC?”

It came out today. I doubt anyone has anything to say about it yet. Calm down.

• Yukiomo says:

This seems to be a news post rather than a review, so I would not expect the writer to have played the game in question. Particularly since the game is the latest of a long string of DLC to an already complicated and deep game, and I don’t think it’s viewed as a “major” piece of DLC like Old Gods or Conclave was.

For anything more than brief impressions, you probably want to look at places like the ck2 subreddit.

• riadsala says:

This seems to be a new(ish) trend with RPS. More and more posts which are just re-printing a press release, with very little else added. I preferred the older model.

Or maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy. ;)

• Alice O'Connor says:

This is a short news post, something RPS has done from its very start, written minutes after the DLC launched. A nuanced Wot I Think will not happen in that timeframe. Whether anyone will Wot I Think it depends on, as ever, what else they have going on and how much they’re into it. RPS has always done this.

• riadsala says:

No need for nuance: First impressions are also good! I come to RPS for the subjective content, as I can find identical news and press releases on every other gaming site. And like I suggested, I may just be getting old and grumpy, and I’ve filtered out all the short news reports that used to feature on the site.

I just noticed that Fraser Brown provides a good example of what I’m talking about in a tweet: “Crikey, CK2: Monks and Mystics is a bit messed up. I’ve sacrificed half of my pals to Satan, and I’ve given the other half lots of chicken.”

Captain Narol says:

I’d love to see you Alice play CK2 and gives us an AAR of the game, it’s a game about wicked stories and we all know around here how much you enjoy them !

4. Darth Gangrel says:

“An educator will no longer get the option to teach their student about their area of expertise if the student is dead” Yeah, the problem with dead students is that they never listen and thus never learn anything.

Undead students listen but they also never learn anything, because they lack the braaiinnnss!!!

5. ooshp says:

“Added UI scaling at resolutions above 1080”? Nope, still not there.

Don’t ever change, Paradox.

• cardboardcity says:

Yeah, scale the text. We aren’t all 20-year-olds. :)