On the spattered line: Quake Champions beta signups

Beta signups have opened for Quake Champions [official site], the next rocketjumping, gibspraying multiplayer shooter from id Software. Champions brings in the modern ‘hero’ strand of shootybangs, giving each character “unique attributes and abilities”, and I’m interested to see how that works out. We already have two decades of Quakes doing minor variations on the near-perfect Quake formula so sure, go on, give it the ol’ twisteroo and show us what you’ve got. Oh, yes, a new trailer is a good start:

Beta signups are over here. Bethesda say that the closed beta “is expected to begin in the coming weeks”.

I’m still not sure about each character having different abilities but I think that’s my mod-loving heart clinging to the past. It sees Quake as a lean core, which is ace in itself and a firm foundation for modders to build upon with classes, hoverboards, or whatever else they fancied. And then I’d skip base Quake and only play mods anyway.

Though I am quite definitely sorry that character models are tied to skills. Am I supposed to decide once and for all whether I want the world to see me as a force-blade punk or a clattering skellington? Too tough.

From this site

Drib says:

“I’m still not sure about each character having but I think that’s my mod-loving heart clinging to the past.”

I feel like you accidentally a whole word there.

But hell, Quake’s always been fun for a while. I certainly hope that the new one is too.

2. bramble says:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (from 2007) was and has remained my favorite team-based multiplayer shooter ever. I know id didn’t develop it, but my interest is piqued enough to pay attention to this as it develops.

3. aoanla says:

Eh – I’m profoundly ambivalent about id’s assumption that “Quake” = “Quake 3”.

Given what id managed to do to re-invent Doom via a modern lens, it would have been interesting to see what they would have managed with the original Quake. (Especially since Quake liked to do things with reconfiguring architecture which Dishonored 2 only recently brought back into the public eye in a much more significant way. A more architecturally dynamic Quake would be an interesting thing… and much more interesting than a tired attempt to merge Quake 3 with hero shooters in a desperate attempt to chase the success of Overwatch.)

• Vandelay says:

I don’t mind that they think multiplayer Quake = Quake 3, but it is disappointing that they think single player Quake = Quake 2.

I would love a return to weird Medieval hellish roots, but Id seems to have forgotten that it even exists. Discussions on Quake always seem to go back to it, so the audience doesn’t seem to have forgotten.

• aoanla says:

Well, so there’s two things here:
        firstly, that id seem to think that Quake = Multiplayer Quake (= Quake 3).
        And secondly that whenever they do briefly consider singleplayer Quake they think of Quake 2 (a rather vanilla space marines vs evil cyborgs shooter) rather than Quake (a semi-accidentally seminal weird shooter with atmosphere and impressive-for-the-time-dynamic-environments and giant lightning-shooting-yeti-monsters)..

Both of these are problematic. (And what’s particularly vexing is that Carmack, before he left id, had made a few comments to the effect that he thought that it might be worth revisiting the original Quake…)

• fish99 says:

I’d take any single player Quake at this point. With how solid Doom turned out there’s still some talented people at id (old or new) and surely they could do something cool with Quake too.

4. Raoul Duke says:

Unique abilities are not Quake.

Herzog says:

Signed up!

6. Stellar Duck says:

Oh come on!

No staring eye tag?

7. The First Door says:

I’m really hoping this turns out to be good, as I’d love another fun arena shooter to play. The attempt to court Overwatch players seems daft, however, as judging by comments on the earlier trailer all it does is turn off older Quake fans and won’t get people to stop playing Overwatch.

In other news: I think ‘Champions Will Rise’ might almost edge out ‘Titans Will Clash’ as the blandest tagline ever.

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m more worried by the fact a lot of development has been farmed out to the makers of God Mode and RIPD: the game which were both absolutely awful shooters.

• The First Door says:

Yeah, that is definitely a worry. Also wasn’t the launch of Halo: The Master Chief Collection (another game they worked on) a complete clusterfudge too? Also also, to be honest I don’t quite get why it’s not being built on the id Tech 6 either.

Still, it’s a Quake game, so I’d really love for it to be good! But when lots of their original marketing was about how it was going to be different to Quake games of old, it did make me worry!

Comment on this story