Steam Charts: the really Wildlands show

Framed for murder, now they prowl the badlands, an outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter, a renegade, it’s only the weekly Steam charts! These are the ten games which sold best on Steam last week.

10. theHunter: Call of the Wild

Published by avalancheStudios and also using theirEngine, this deerMurder title is doing ratherWell for itself. My guess? It’s because noted deerMurder enthusiast chrisPratt keeps buying copies for all hisFriends.

9. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands

My name is Alec Meer, I am supposedly a games journalist and I have completely lost track of the Ghost Recon series. I might even have lost track of which Tom Clancy game is which. Wasn’t Ghost Recon Online, like, yesterday? How is this different from The Division? And how is that different from Rainbow Six Siege? So many men with guns. So many. Clancies, Clancies everywhere. I know barely anything about Wildlands, other than mild disappointment that it does not, in fact, feature a big dad.

8. NieR: Automata

Platinum’s kids vs deathbots brawler has been extremely well-received over on console, and though it’s not out on PC until next week, clearly there’s an appetite for a belated dose of the Bayonetta folks’ singular third-person action. Though we’ve had their solid if unexceptional Transformers and Turtles games on PC, this is the first time one of their rave-reviewed titles has sliced, diced, hacked, slashed, chopped, stabbed, eviscerated this way.

7. Torment: Tides of Numenera

Glad to see this made it. Though more overblown and less human than its revered predecessor, Planescape: Torment, this is an excellent and wildly inventive RPG that prioritises meaningful choice over rote combat. I was worried it might not break out of a Kickstarter/old folks ghetto, but seems it’s been able to entice the wider masses too.

Oh, in case you missed it, I went Full Concept Review for this.

6. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands

I just spent ten minutes checking this was definitely the same game as the one at nine, and not yet another Clancygame.

My guess is that this is the core Wildlands, and the other is the Deluxe edition, which features various extra weapons and weapon/vehicle skins which help you to “dominate the Bolivian wildlands.” Of course, the real draw of the pricier package is the XP booster, because Videogames In 2017.

Both Wildlandses are here on pre-order sales alone, by the way – the game’s released for real today, as it happens.

5. 7 Days to Die

Three years old next month (and Kickstarted a year before that, even), making this very much a vintage survival game. To the extent that zombies almost seem quaint now, in this age of floppy ding-dongs and and pirates cannibals and battle royales. Brendy’s quite a fan of it, despite its rickety appearance.

Unfortunately you’ve just missed out on the $10 sale which propelled 7DTD into the top ten, but seeing as it’s still in early access, I don’t doubt that there’ll be enough another one before too long.

4. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

3. For Honor

Between this, Wildlands, and intermittent appearances from The Division, Rainbow Six Siege and Watch Dogs 2, it’s very much been Ubisoft’s chart this year. There’s so much Ubi this week, in fact, that bally GTA V’s only gone and dropped out of the top ten. I’d be rejoicing, were it not for the full certainty that it will be back next week. The Venga Bus never strays for long.

2. Blackwake

I was just this minute ruminating to myself about how, though I’m certainly enjoying Zelda: The New One, I’d still say that Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is the more liberating and all-out gleeful open world game. And hey, good news, here we are with another pirate game. Blackwake lacks any landlubbing as I understand it, however, and instead is about getting a crew – up to 27 on each of two teams – together to perform all the various roles that ship-to-ship combat requires. Roger the Cabin Boy, anyone?

Nice to see a bona fide new entry – we’ve not had a chance to look at this in depth yet, but it’s on the list.

1. H1Z1: King of the Kill

I know I’m sneery about CSGO and GTAV’s near-constant placement here, but – for the record – I understand the interest and appreciate what they do, even if I don’t feel personally inclined to live in these games. King Of The Kill, though, I’m afraid I do consider to be deeply uninteresting, and so a certain degree of true disdain lurks underneath the skin of my repetitive performance art faux-misery here. Speaking of which, I suppose I should play to the gallery.

MIME MIME MIME

From this site

1. Ghostwise says:

Yay ! Vengaboys !

– Faithfully yours, the gallery.

• Dezmiatu says:

The world will only be Just and Peaceful when every country adopts a Vengaboys song as their national anthem. I strongly suggest they should be forcibly coerced to adopt “To Brazil” so the world can sing praise to the Most Glorious nation.

2. Seafoam says:

Those nooses vex and perplex me.

3. Derpkovsky says:

About entry number eight, isn’t Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance a well receid Platinum game on PC?

• Shinard says:

I was just coming down to post the same thing. A well received port, as well, so Nier definitely isn’t unique.

johannsebastianbach says:

No GTA V? We did it reddit!

5. haldolium says:

I wonder what is the source of the charts exactly? My “global top sellers” in steam look always different (they’re daily though, aren’t they?)

1. Wildlands
    2. H1Z2
    3. DoW3
    4. Marvel Capcom whatever
    5. Wildlands
    6. Niere
    7. That creepy gif-game
    8. Blackwake (???)
    9. Rocket League
    10. GTA V

6. Gothnak says:

I remember before Vengaboys were popular two workmates went on a drunken weekend away in Amsterdam. When they came back they brought a Vengaboys CD as proof that no one on mainland Europe had any taste.

How we laughed…until 3 months later they were in the top 10 in the UK.. (The Vengaboys, not my workmates)

:s…

7. caff says:

I fully recommend people to try Blackwake, it’s in a good condition for early access and is a heck of a lot of fun. Lots of busy and available servers.

cpt_freakout says:

Plus one! I gave it a shot a few days ago and had loads of fun, particularly because we had a really histrionic captain that transmitted sheer excitement to the rest of the crew every time he shouted “FIRE THE CANNONS!”

With people like that, Blackwake is very, very fun!

• EValdr says:

I have played loads of fun games, and plenty that I would say are more fun than Blackwake. But, it has been a very long time since I played a game that was the same kind of fun as Blackwake. It has enough depth and potential for strategy to hook a more serious and competitive player like myself, while at the same time keeping me smiling and laughing the whole time. I’ve played Squad and Arma and all the military shooters that talk about how they reward teamwork and blah blah blah, but even those can’t compare to having to actually crew a ship and keep it afloat. This game is fantastic and there are only better and better things on its horizon.

8. vorador says:

Man, no GTA V on the top charts.

I feel uncomfortable. Someone hold me.

9. Matroska says:

I’m really enjoying TToN so far, although I certainly agree with the “less human” comment in the above article. In P:T, the Nameless One’s desire to find out what the hell is going on was strongly conveyed and harmonised with the player’s own desire for the same.

In TToN, there’s no real sense of mystery or urgency somehow. Perhaps it was too abstract, too over-the-top, to literally fall into the game world from the sky and have some odd abstract dream thing to create your character. There was something earthy and tangible about waking up in the mortuary in P:T. Something immediate about the tattoos on your body and the presence of the vividly realised Morte. In TToN you spend 20 minutes in an emotionless dreamscape and then appear in a small room with two fairly plain characters. Moving forwards, there’s no momentum and very little emotional leverage on display. I feel more like a tourist meandering around and learning about a slightly incoherent place than someone in the midst of a narrative.

10. mushufasa says:

I registered an account just to comment on this because I feel like not enough people will understand your intro that came from probably the best TV show of my childhood.

11. MrFlakeOne says:

Looks like Wildlands is that type of a game that reviewers hate but players love.