Panzer Corps 2 announced, using Unreal Engine 4

The Panzer Corps [official site] are showing their age. You can see it in the rust that is accumulating around their joints and hear it in the strained rumble of their engines. Even the hexes look a little worn around the edges these days. It’s no surprise really – the old stalwart has seen a lot of action. Five years in the field. Five years of branching campaigns and the kind of wargaming that even a genre novice can hope to learn. Well, it’s time for reinforcements to arrive so the old Corps can take some time for rest and recuperation, or perhaps be put out to pasture for good.

Slitherine send news that Panzer Corps 2 is in development and it’ll be all shiny and 3D thanks to Unreal Engine 4.

Beyond the fact that it’ll have a fully 3D engine, we don’t know very much at all. I bet there will be tanks.

Panzer Corps 2 is currently in development using Unreal Engine 4, to allow an impressive leap forward in both technological capabilities and visual impact. Hundreds of World War 2 units will be shown with a level of quality and detail never seen before in a wargame.

The move to a fully 3D engine is a natural evolution of the game, but the core gameplay will always remain true to its roots.

Look, here’s a video. It is mostly maps.

I’m afraid of 3D, convinced it might intrude on everything that I love and care about on my lovely 2D hex maps. Slitherine’s press release seems to be saying, don’t worry, it’ll be fine: “[Panzer Corps 2 will] pay tribute to the classic gameplay of a distant golden age of strategy gaming, refine it, perfect it and use the most recent technologies to enhance these experiences and bring them to a new generation of gamers. In other words, strike the perfect balance between tradition and innovation, both in visuals and gameplay.”

That all sounds just fine, but I won’t be convinced about all this new-fangled 3D business until I’ve seen the game in action.

From this site

1. rambo919 says:

Panzer General 3D….

• geisler says:

Another one to add to the pile of the other 3D shovelware iterations of these games. Although, those had far more problems than merely featuring uninspired 3D models on the worlds most blurry textured maps (*shudders* at the thought of PG 3D assault). Still, these games really should stick to 2D…

I’ll dust off my Panzer General II copy from GoG instead thank you very much.

• Dogshevik says:

But…it WILL have hexes, right? Right?

3D hexes…

2. allison says:

Mostly maps?! It was ALL maps! Not a single shiny 3D model in sight.

3. BlackeyeVuk says:

I suppose its gonna be something better for models perhaps. Panzer Corps is barebones in engine department. Just bunch of animated .gifs on 2D drawn map. I can’t imagine coders having hard time creating that. And even that was atrociously optimized, only thing made it working fast enough is its simplicity.
    That said, using UE 4 will be a gamble if they don’t know what visual appeal Panz.Corp have. Using realistic maps often bores people to look at mush of colors. You NEED to care about camera angle, color saturation and differentiation , to be very careful about predominant color, objects, trees etc. Back in time SupCom instead of full realism , scaled units to be much bigger, but you had visual conformation of units, while retaining minimal UI need. R.U.S.E for example and basically any wargame with 3D rendering failed on that model/vs/map scaling. Ruse is good game, but lacking in distinctive visual conformation, often looking at UI designated pictures to find them(models) on a map. Often talking to myself why they even made zoom in or 3D models for various units , if you can’t zoom in and effectively play the game. Other problem comes naturally , pacing.
    Im gonna talk like this all day, and I don’t have it. Im sorry, point is, I hope Pnz Corp 2 will have beautiful unrealistic maps with landscape that is visually nice to look at. And having option to burn and smash every hill with tons of ordinance. Ho!

4. Kitano1314 says:

If they are bringing 3d to panzer corps then I hope they do more with it than just allow us to spin round and around our units. I’m hoping cover and elevation will now play some kind of role.

5. manny says:

Probably gonna be due to the modding and multiplayer enhancements the unreal engine provides. But yes 2d wargames almost always looking very ugly in 3D is a bit of curse. I think perhaps they should try a 2D cell/animation thing + museam exibit tanks view, with very realistic tank models one can zoom into and admire. (also allow people to design, modify and add their own tanks for mods)
    That is to say the game is in 2D entirely but only goes 3D if you double click on a unit, which will be purely for show and not have any game mechanics it will be like a museum exhibit.

6. MellowKrogoth says:

Meh. I would’ve preferred them to stick with 2d with higher quality sprite art and better artistic direction, Panzer Corps maps felt a little bland.

Hopefully it’s gonna bring benefits to the game beyond the initial “Oooh” factor (assuming they have the budget to make actually nice 3d graphics).