The Division celebrates first birthday with content plans

Oh hey, Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment’s Tom Clancy’s The Division [official site] launched a year ago today. The third and final announced expansion launched the other week so… what lies ahead for the shooter-RPG? Two free content updates coming this year, Ubisoft say. The Division was our favourite co-op game of 2016 so hey, ongoing support is good.

Ubisoft’s blog got into the second year’s content plans with creative director Julian Gerighty.

“The first unnamed expansion will be based on an event system that drives players to activities that feature modifiers, leaderboards, and unique vanity items that will only be available through these activities. In addition, Gerighty says the team has plans to include a loadout feature that will let players switch efficiently and quickly between their favorite gear combinations, as well as a system to mark a player’s feats.”

T’other, which sounds potentially more interesting, is more of a secret for now.

“The second expansion is still far enough away that the team doesn’t want to comment on it, and while Gerighty stresses that it will be “more content-focused”, new story missions won’t necessarily be a part of the package. ‘Story missions are tricky, but that doesn’t mean we won’t have narrative content,’ he says. ‘We can’t really deliver story missions that will fit into the RPG aspects of the game in a simple way. So we’re not going to be doing the classic main mission type of thing, but narrative content is something that we are definitely looking at.'”

So the first update will get people replaying old content in new ways and ticking off achievements, while the second will bring new stuff. Sure sure.

Oh, and playing this week will net you some small birthday presents: a few multiplayers, some credits, and an emote.

1. bee says:

They’re making this game less solo friendly with every update… it needs to get more solo-friendly before I would come back to it. Too much of the game can’t be done solo. I used to enjoy the Dark Zone back when I could successfully participate while playing alone.

• gabrielonuris says:

Not to mention that the game is dying already, sooner we will only have the solo content.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

It’s a real shame that the Dark Zone is a PvP area. The idea of a severely ravaged section of the city having to be cordoned off has been wasted on almost Benny Hill-inspired shootouts (maybe that’s different with all the updates, but was definitely like that at launch).

2. Faults says:

Just tried the game. Crashed to desktop with no error message no matter what googled remedy I tried. This game’s been out, what, more than six months now? Ugh.

• Barberetti says:

This game’s been out, what, more than six months now?

A whole year!

• pentraksil says:

And you are 100% sure that it is not on your end? TBH, played this game from the start, never had any crashes to desktop at all.

3. Blackcompany says:

The 1.6 update killed PVE, and my interest. Enemies are spongier than ever. Weapons are the weakest and least accurate they have ever been. You die in two hits to everything, and everything can soak entire mags.

The games a disastrous mess now. Designed for the hardest of hardcore PVP balance, exclusively, and not at all fun. Uninstalled and won’t be buying any of the DLC.

4. haldolium says:

I was playing it recently in coop again due to the fact that it remains the single most beautiful real time renderer of NYC wintertime construction sites.

It’s a mess really. The gameplay is tedious and unimaginative, boring and repetitive. PVP Darkzone might still be the most interesting point, but it lacks proper execution. Underground is just the worst linear bulletsponge corridor shooting and their domination PVP mode is well… domination. How inspiring. Oh and incursion. Nope.

Due to it being a loot shooter, most time is wasted upon the hideous interface that continously makes it impossible to compare stuff fast, while that is the only essence of the entire game after finishing the “campaign” mode. Sure you can waste SO much time into the game, that you know the stats, but getting there isn’t really worth it.

Boderlands was already borderline obnoxious with their one-row-inventory for controllers (which always hated the mousewheel), but The Division easily tops that. Especially now, since they altered statistics that matter but still display secondary stats prominently.

It’s a horrible mess and a much bigger issue in game development in general for me at least.

5. Empathy Kill says:

When this game was first leaked many moons ago my jaw dropped! When I saw the “New York at Christmas time” trailer my jaw hit the floor and I watched the development of this game closer than I had ever watched anything. I looked forward to this game more than I have ever looked forward to any game… EVER! For me thats saying a lot because I love games and there have been several of them that I fel in love with. Noithing captured my imagination more than The Division though… Than it released and I played through the “campaign” in about 2 weeks (I have a job) and I cried. This game let me down more than any game ever. The Division could have been one of the best games ever created but Ubi dropped the ball big time. They dropped the ball and never picked it back up. It just kept rolling and rolling until they lost sight of it, Now its gone and all thats left is the shell of a game that could have been so much more and I have been takin severely takin advantage of.