Rain World, a stealth-platformer about slugcats, out soon

Here in the RPS treehouse of moaning about how tired and cold we are, we regularly thrill to GIFs of mid-development games, delighting to the art and animations of some unknown pleasure. It’s always bittersweet when the subject of one of those GIFs becomes reality, when all the possibilities offered by that handful of frames coalesce into something known and definite. Case in point, Rain World [official site], a 2D game with wonderful sci-horror environments, sinister shadow-beasts and the hypnotic leap’n’crawl of the ‘slugcat’ it stars. In GIF form, it was small slices of another world. In about-to-be-released form (end of this month, specifically), I can see what it really is.

You can see both sides of the coin in the below video. Those backdrops are lovely, as is Slugcat’s movement, but it’s clearer now that it’s a jumpy-shooty game. Not that this is a bad thing, it’s just that there’s readjustment required once a question is answered.

Here’s a couple of the kind of GIFs I was on about (more here):

And here’s full context, in the shape of a trailer in living technicolour:

The Slugcat is billed as being both predator and prey, so there’ll be a stealth element too, which on paper is a neat remix from platformer mores. This is intriguing too: “Both prey and predator, the creatures in Rain World’s living ecosystem follow their own survival instincts, learning from each encounter.” The titular and “bone-crushing” rain presents its own threat in addition to the creepy-crawlies and nightmare-stags.

Rain World’s due out on Steam for $20 on March 28th, developed by Videocult and published by Adult Swim.

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Excellent. Been looking forward to this for rather some time. Just hope it actually turns out fun to play and all that when reviewers get their grubby mitts on it. (Look at me not being tempted to preorder like a good human.)

2. LTK says:

I’m excited! I backed the Kickstarter, eons ago, seemingly, so I’ll be glad to finally get my hands on it.

3. Rizlar says:

Do want to play this. So glad that it’s dived even deeper into the rad aesthetic of those early gifs rather than somehow losing it during development. The soundtrack of that trailer is really promising.

Honestly don’t mind if the gameplay is simplistic, so long as we can immerse ourselves in this world of rain and baby slugcats.

4. ipswitchism says:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that it is a very peculiar and specific kind of jumpy, and not even remotely shooty.

It’s kind of wonderful to me how persistently misunderstood the concept of this game is. I’m rather looking forward to seeing people realize exactly what it is. Something very different. Something quite new.

• Crispy75 says:

For sure. If you go in Full Shooty, you *will* get your arse/slugtail handed to you. You’re far from the most fearsome thing in this wporld and you must survive on your wits and agility, not your strength.

Rain World has been near the top of my most wanted for years now. The 28th can’t come soon enough!

• ipswitchism says:

Hey, Crispy! It’s tortoiseandcrow from Tig. Good to see you around.

5. blur says:

Oh man, that little snippet at 0:57 has some of the coolest lighting I’ve ever seen in a 2D game.

• KillahMate says:

Rain World has a pretty advanced real-time lighting engine implemented in 2D. It’s super cool:
      link to kickstarter.com
      Not to mention the procedural animation that drives the creatures. I think we’ll be looking back at Rain World as a bit of a landmark in 2D retro game tech.

6. trollomat says:

This might just be my favorite art style ever, so I’m pretty excited even though platformers are not my thing. And bunny silt striders, hooray!

7. tslog says:

If this game can pull off platforming survival in a dynamic world of creatures competing and surviving themselves – that would be very unique, and crucially hopefully plays well too within that decision making.

Not sure what gameplay variety there will be though.

A lot of one note games from AAA to indie, have gotten undeserved overwhelming credit the last year or so. Hope Rain world is different.

8. ironman Tetsuo says:

And this is the reason I still back Kickstarters…

9. DantronLesotho says:

Been waiting on this game for “yonks” since the early days of seeing the screenshots on tigsource. I’ve also gotten to know the Bright Primate duo who are doing music/sound/design in the game, and they are splendid. Having played this at shows and whatnot, I know there’s something just as special with this one as it looks.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Saw this trailer last night and am appropriately excited for the game’s release.

Did the devs always own the slugcat name or did they embrace the name from fans/press?