The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (Who am I?)

I followed in Gulliver’s footsteps. I was born in Devon. None of my troops carried rifles. I owned an island. I knew two of the 20th Century’s most famous people rather well. One of my homes now houses a Neve 88R. I’m associated with a dessert. I ran a factory for a spell. I died during WW2.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer  (defoxed by KarolisLive, Zogg, phlebas and Stugle )

I was standing on Airport Road, Singapore, 100m north of the RSAF museum

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: Harry Potter (defoxed by KarolisLive)

HORCRUX (KarolisLive)
SICKLE (Gothnak)
FANG (Gothnak)
NIMBUS (Gothnak)
FILCH (Gothnak)
CENTAUR (Gothnak)

1. Artiforg says:

John Cleese in the top right.

2. Stugle says:

John Cleese top right, innit?

3. AFKAMC says:

Handley Page Halifax in plan view.

4. Stugle says:

The roundel with palm tree and crossed swords is from the Saudi Arabian airforce.

5. Little_Crow says:

John Cleese Top Right
    Serious Sam Logo, middle left
    DDR stamp, top middle but not sure who’s on it or the denomination, yet

6. unacom says:

The stamp depicts Sophie and Hans Scholl of the Weiße Rose resistance movement.

7. Little_Crow says:

Bottom middle is the logo from Raleigh bikes, I think

8. Little_Crow says:

Middle right plane is an AirExplore 737-400.
    Photo taken from the wikipedia article:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

• Little_Crow says:

Couple of possible links from it:
      It’s ICAO is AXE and the airline Callsign is GALLILEO

• Joriath says:

I have to ask: how did you get that one? I spent ages looking at Air Ivoire, or any other combination with no success (explore didn’t come to mind). The aircraft reg was carefully blurred so couldn’t find that either.

phuzz says:

The tank in top left is apparently a Cromwell mk 1 (image from here)

• Gothnak says:

John Cleese read parts of the Monty Python ‘Oliver Cromwell’ song.

• Little_Crow says:

Being that Oliver Cromwell has an association with Sir Walter Raleigh, you could be on to something

10. Gusdownnup says:

I suspect that the warmup foxer refers to Fred Karno.

11. AFKAMC says:

Something about the aircraft bottom left suggests Handley Page Hastings to me, but I can’t confirm.

Are those people standing on top of the fuselage? Is there something mounted on top of it?

phuzz says:

It looks very much like the cockpit from a Douglas DC-4, or 6, or 7 (see unacom below), except that the cockpit window seems to go further back than any of those aircraft (or their military equivalents), and they all have nose wheels, which this one doesn’t.
      There does seem to be a rocket, or rocket plane, strapped to the top, which again might link with Douglas (they built a number of different rockets).

12. mrpier says:

Bottom right looks like something Hal Foster (Prince Valiant comic) would come up with.

• mrpier says:

Ah, not Hal Foster.

Sir Gawaine the Son of Lot, King of Orkney, by Howard Pyle from The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (1903)

13. Gothnak says:

Right, a rather gruesome link…

Oliver Cromwell was beheaded.
    Sir Walter Raleigh was beheaded.
    John Cleese as the Black Knight got his limbs cut off.
    Many punishments in Saudi Arabia involve lopping off limbs.
    You can dismember enemies in Serious Sam.
    The White Rose members were beheaded.

The Halifax Gibbet was used to behead people.

14. unacom says:

Plane on the left. Is that a DC-7?
    I´m only getting civilian operators on that one.

• Stugle says:

I think the plane in the Foxer has a fuselage that doesn’t extend as far past the wing as a DC 7 (or DC 4, for that matter) does. But I don’t have any better ideas yet.

• AFKAMC says:

I think the DC-7 had a nose wheel; the aircraft in the image appears to be a tail dragger.

phuzz says:

But all (most) of the Douglas aircraft with four engines, had nose wheels.
        Other possibilities that aren’t quite right:
        FW 200 Condor
        Avro 688 Tudor
        Handley Page Hermes

• Gothnak says:

If it helps, Tudor would certainly fit the beheading theme.

• unacom says:

I think AFKAMC nailed it with the HP-Hastings.
            However I can´t find any reference for the back-slung load/rocket/meteorological-thingy.
            A (admittedly very shaky) plus for the Hastings-link: it saw operation with British and New Zealand forces in the Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation, in which Iban trackers participated. Iban trackers were famous headhunters.

• Little_Crow says:

The Avro 688 Super Trader 4B pictured in the wiki article looks right to me
          link to en.wikipedia.org

And as Gothnak says TUDOR is certainly on point for the beheading theme

phuzz says:

Round windows though, not square.
            Maybe we’ll get further identifying what’s on it’s back, could it be an X-15?

15. phlebas says:

The monument towards the left appears to be the Maiden Stone, in Aberdeenshire:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

The Scottish Maiden is another early guillotine.

phuzz says:

Found it!
    The aircraft bottom right is a SE-161 “Languedoc”, carrying the first ramjet aircraft called the Leduc 010 (after it’s designer, René Leduc). Lots of pictures here.

• phlebas says:

Aha! The duke of Montmorency, governor of Languedoc, even openly rebelled against the king, then was defeated and beheaded in Toulouse in 1632 by the order of Richelieu.
      link to en.wikipedia.org

• Gothnak says:

Having never found a single airplane in all the years of the Flare Path, how do you do it?

Do you just scan through hundreds of aircraft from the approximate age?

phuzz says:

tl/dr, yeah, pretty much :)

I’ve always had an interest in aircraft, so partly it’s experience, but a lot of times I just guess as to the approximate age and country of origin and start from there.
        This time I happened to stumble upon this page of cargo aircraft of the right period, and I was scanning down to see if there was anything I’d not checked out (note how pretty much all of our wrong guesses are on there). Then I check out more pictures of likely candidates using google image search and wikipedia, and try and home in on features like the cockpit glass to rule in or out different aircraft.
        Skimming the wiki entry I notice a sentence about the Languedoc being used as a “mother-ship” for high speed research and I knew I’d found the one :)

phuzz says:

Languedoc is a region in the south east of France. There’s a beach there called “La Guillotine”, and, um, that’s pretty much the best I can do. Various people and rulers have been executed, beheaded, and/or guillotined there, but nothing else seems an obvious connection.