Isaac meets Deus Ex: try Streets of Rogue free weekend

If you fancy freeing a gorilla to murder some scientists so you can use their cloning machine to create a gang to do in a bartender, you might fancy a crack at Streets of Rogue [official site], which is free to try this weekend. Ignore the name: Streets of Rogue is not a beat ’em up, it is a curious emergent sandbox roguelikelike inspired loosely by games including The Binding of Isaac and Deus Ex. I’ve run through a few missions myself and yeah, even in its early access state it’s an interesting one to prod.

So there you are, in the dystopian future, as a member of the resistance trying to take down The Man. Off you go on missions, heading into procedurally-generated levels with a series of procedurally-generated objectives. You might need to retrieve evidence from a safe, rescue a kidnapped ally, and assassinate someone. How you go about that, well, who knows?

Streets of Rogue’s classes range from Soldier and Hacker to Comedian and Vampire, each with their own abilities to manipulate people and the world. Perhaps you’ll hack a ventilation system to pump a building full of gas. Blow a hole in a wall with explosives and go in guns blazing. Sneak. Hack gambling machines to win big and buy whatever you want from shops. Start a gang war. Lead an army of clones. Then you have items from glass cutters to boomboxes… I’m sure I’ve only seen a teeny percentage of the possibilities. Levels aren’t huge — a few dozen buildings, tops, as far as I’ve seen — but with all the different classes, items, and perks, it seems like a lot to play with.

You can try yourself, as Streets of Rogue is free to play on Steam until Monday at 6pm GMT. After a stretch in alpha elsewhere, this week it hit Steam Early Access with a big update adding daily runs, unlockables, tutorials, and four-player local and online co-op. Oh, yes, it’s multiplayer too.

Streets of Rogue is £9.89/13,49€/$13.49 for keepsies right now, for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s due to launch properly later this year. Matt Dabrowski is making it and Tinybuild are publishing.

From this site

1. Xan says:

I wish more EA titles did that.

Your risk of build being pirated is low: after all, it’s still an early build and is subject to significant changes down the line.

On the other hand, it gives hands-on experience with the title so that you can decide for yourself if it looks like a good investment.

It also generates more (hopefully good) publicity from people who don’t have press-level access to review copies.

• Frank says:

Yeah, that was a ton of fun. Although I’m not interested in playing it more during EA, the free weekend certainly put it on my wishlist for after it’s out.

2. khaoselement says:

This game…is so much fun. It’s amazingly deep with a ton of systems for such a small game.

• April March says:

Yeah, the game’s great. I played the alpha pretty much nonstop until it went kaputz. I’m on a tiny Linux netbook that doesn’t run it, but as soon as I’m back on a real machine I’ll likely break my oath not to buy EA games and get this one.

3. theWillennium says:

Looks neat! Minor note that megagames are already a thing, though: link to digitaltrends.com

4. TheAngriestHobo says:

Hurray! Thank you for covering this. SoR is awesome and deserves more recognition. It’s pretty clear even at this early stage that it’s going to be something special.

5. Scelous says:

Tried it, loved it, bought it. I do think comparing Streets of Rogue in any way to Deus Ex is a bit of a stretch, though.

• April March says:

I don’t. In fact, I’d argue it’s more Deus Ex than Deus Ex itself. You have the options of hacking something, or poisoning everyone in a building, or blowing up a door, or teleporting through a wall, not because they’ve been placed there as a viable route, but simply because the world follows generic, consistent rules. You can legitimately complete every mission the way you want to (assuming you have the tools and expertise).

6. Stone_Crow says:

Hooked and purchased within a couple of hours playing with some mates this afternoon. Really good fun and surprising depth. Very happy to support it.You should completely check it out.

Comment on this story