What are we all playing this weekend?

Oh-oh here she comes. Watch out boys, she’ll chew you up. Oh-oh here she comes. She’s the weekend of March 11-12th, 2017.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: [Adam is recovering from GDC. I understand this mostly involves sleeping while his dog tries to rouse and comfort him with excessive licking. -ed.]
Alec: [Alec is fired. -ed]
Alice: I try not to grind Isaac, always playing daily challenges and random runs between specific goals to keep it fresh, but I really would like to grind out the last two achievements. If I manage to complete the Speed! and Ultra Hard challenges, I’ll hit the hallowed 1000000% and can happily play on purely for funsies with everything unlock. Beyond that, ah, more Night in the Woods, more horror movies, maybe some of that Steep trial weekend, and perhaps even sleep.
Brendan: I’ll be hording as many shinies as I can in Faeria to see if it can unseat Duelyst as my card game of choice. I also want to crack on with Night in the Woods – I find the self-described “trash fire” of Mae Borowski and her friends hopelessly likeable but I’ve heard in shadowy places that the ending is rubbish. Please don’t be rubbish, ending.
Graham: I muscled (bought) my way into the Oxygen Not Included alpha, which is the new game from Klei, makers of Invisible, Inc. and Don’t Starve and other solid games. ONI is their take on the builder/Dwarf Fortress genre, in which you’ve a group of explorers with traits who must mine and craft in order to keep themselves fed, watered, clean, etc. in a hostile (often oxygen-free) environment. I’ve played it for an hour and so far it’s traditional, though well presented, and it’s yet to produce the kind of wacky stories that define the best of the genre. It’s a long way from done of course and I’m a long way from being into the meat of it.
John: [John is recovering from having his guts surgically removed or something. Who am I, his doctor? I assume they stuffed him up with sawdust and it takes time to settle. -ed.]
Philippa: [Pip is also recovering from GDC! I assume her recovery involves fewer doglicks and more birdpics. -ed.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. caff says:

Hitman, Marrakesh. I’m going to sneak up onto the rooftops and throw random objects onto the market crowd below until I accidentally hit my target.

2. JFS says:

Spiderweb Software’s Avernum: Escape from the Pit :)

• malkav11 says:

I hope you enjoy. It’s a pretty wonderful game. I’m still mildly sad about some of the gameplay changes from the original Exile way back in the day, but then I remember all the stuff that I would have found super annoying these days that’s also been tweaked or eliminated (thanks to reading a Let’s Play of the original), and just how much additional narrative content and questing was added along the way and I am quite content with where things ended up really. I should get back to Avernum II: Crystal Souls but there are so many RPGs!

• Unsheep says:

That’s cool. It’s always nice to see others enjoy these games. Even though it’s an old-school game it’s surprisingly easy to learn and get into. I’m currently playing through their latest game Avadon 3.

• Rainshine says:

This is the “new” remake, right? I played Exile back in the day, then Avernum when they started remaking it. I think I made it to Avernum 5 before a combination of life and the changes to the game (mostly forced into combat mode instead of one-shotting stuff while walking, as I recall) stopped me from going any further. I think I saw in their e-mails they ended up revamping it and making it iOS compatible or something?

particlese says:

Wait, what? Less than half of you are playing games this weekend? (Okay, 50% since Alec has been fired.) Games Journalism these days, I tell ya…I expect all games all the time from this crew. Get crackin’! John gets a pass, though – I mean, just look at all that blood! That can’t be comfortable.

I will offset the general slackery around here by trying to finish Squarecells and VR room escape game Abode this weekend, on top of my usual bouts of Devil Daggers and Elder Scrolls Online (large-scale pvp again because it’s been genuinely awesome lately). Variety, ho!

• Alice O'Connor says:

I mean, that only signifies that I didn’t get an e-mail from them, which is what I’d expect from people who are off work. It wouldn’t be right if they had e-mailed. Though not e-mailing is, of course, a firing offense.

particlese says:

Ahh, okay, my bad. I assumed they were excused due to their 28.8 million milliseconds of jet lag and general conference-induced fatigue. Apologies for doubting the tightness of the running of HMS Shotgun.

particlese says:

So, slightly more seriously: It’s been said before, but SquareCells was fantastic. There were some real stumpers in there, and I spent a good 3 hours chewing on the second to last puzzle alone, including the distractions to recharge my noggin. And then the final puzzle was just perfect. Exactly what I needed, and even the ending and credits were classy. Matthew Brown is a wizard.

4. keefybabe says:

Dark Souls. I WILL kill Queelag this weekend!

• mcwizardry says:

Good luck with that!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

You can do it! Top tips: avoid getting hit, don’t tred in the sick, and hit harder.

• Cyrus says:

I’m inclined to believe that I should give Dark Souls a go, someday.
      It does not feel like my cup of tea, but I have been positively surprised by games before.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I didn’t think it would be my cup of tea, and now I think it’s the best game ever made. Worth a fiver in the next sale to find out?

• Tiax says:

If you give it a try, here’s what will probably happen:

You will hate it at first, then 1) you will insist, kill a few bosses and love the game or 2) you will stop and think that DS is way overhyped and mostly badly designed.

I saw friends go either way.

• floogles says:

My impression was that I would not like it, I’m also not a skilled gamer, so I was pretty apprehensive going in. DS1 got me obsessed, and became one of my all time favorites.

Most of what I enjoyed about it was not what the game is known for, so I can only encourage you to try it out for yourself.

• keefybabe says:

If you start, make sure you give it at least 6 hours before making any decisions because if you’re like me you’ll hate it at first but goddamn you’ll come to love it. Oh, and one tip is that heavy armour slows you down. I didn’t even notice that happening at first and just thought it was the game being unfairly slow at me until I watched a tips video.

Dark Souls is an emotional rollercoaster that’s includes both the highs and the lows.

Update: Still not beaten Quelaag yet but came reeeeeally close a couple of times before this annoying thing called life got in the way and stopped my playing.

• keefybabe says:

Update update: YEHEHEEHEAAAAAAHHH FUCK YOU QUELAAAG!!! DIE!!! HAAHAHAHAHAAHAH!A!!!!!*

*beat her

5. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

So, here’s a thing, I watched half of the infuriatingly awful Episode 3 this week, and despite how shite it is I’ve been left with a longing to return to Star Wars the Old Republic. Will this torture never end? Luckily I’m probably too busy this w/e to play more than an hour, but God what is wrong with me

• brucethemoose says:

There’s an interesting RPG hidden under that MMO skin. Better than Episode 3 for sure, the whole Old Republic era is amazing.

Unfortunately, that skin is truly awful…

• malkav11 says:

Depending on when you last played SWTOR you might find it much improved. They made a number of changes that are broadly a benefit both to the free-to-play experience and being able to ignore the worst MMO-y bits. And while I haven’t gotten to the new Knights of the Whatever content, that sounds significantly more like a traditional solo RPG in intriguing ways.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah. I’m about to start FE myself, but I noticed that even has a difficulty slider, including a “story” mode.

If you haven’t played with healer companions yet, that’s a huge improvement too.

Edski says:

There’s always KOTOR…

6. CMaster says:

Probably some Siege, as always.
    Also giving the Streets of Rogue – link to store.steampowered.com free weekend a try. It’s both dissapoining, in that it’s claims of being an “immersive sim roguelike” are completely bogus. However, it is still kinda fun, in a comedy, chaos-generating way.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I’ll agree that Dabrowski probably shouldn’t have used the word “sim”, but that doesn’t make SoR any less awesome. It’s Deus Ex meets Binding of Isaac with just a hint of Saints Row – you really can’t go wrong.

Also, considering how long it’s been on Itch.io (and, you know, awesome) I’m kind of shocked that RPS hasn’t covered it yet. Hopefully it will get some love now that it’s on Steam.

• CMaster says:

I’d argue that it’s “Deus Ex” ness is very superficial – I don’t really feel like I’ve got anything like that range of options or consideration. It’s definitley fun, but it’s not the game the marketing material makes me want. It also really, really needs a variety bump.

7. Alice O'Connor says:

10:28am, first rubbish horror film: Ouija, the official licensed adaptation of Hasbro’s branded spirit board. I am determined to gouge every last garbage horror from the coalface of Netflix. I can’t be far off. I’m even subscribed to Shudder, which has loads of great horror movies, but it’s more of a faff to watch on our TV than Netflix so here we are, Oujia.

• Barberetti says:

If it’s there and you haven’t seen it yet, check out Sabretooth. It’s horrendous. Thankfully I watched it with a friend while .. umm .. intoxicated, which helped a lot!

8. Mud says:

Ghost Recon Wildlands, in my 30ish hour and just killed the 1st boss.

9. Raoul Duke says:

Metal Gear Solid V… Inching my way through the weird post script missions, which feel a bit tacked on and directionless compared to the main game.

10. Kitsunin says:

I’m playing…trying to get a real group together to play some dang Tabletop RPGs. I’ve got a D&D group already, but there doesn’t seem to be the slightest interest from them in doing anything like what I actually want from a TRPG. So I’m trying to figure out how the hell to scout a group interested in playing something Powered by the Apocalypse.

11. wcq says:

I’m definitely not playing the new Zelda on a console. I’m also definitely not having a grand old time with it.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’ve been playing Death Road to Canada, and last night I ALMOST made it before everyone died.

Other than that, I dunno really. I have so many games I could play, but I don’t know which one I want to play. I also wish that everyone would stop talking about Zelda so that I can avoid the temptation to drop ~£400 on a Switch + Game to see what the fuss is about.

• malkav11 says:

Consider the fact that, while Breath of the Wild may be cool, there are literally thousands of really cool games on PC that you can already buy and play without spending $400 on a first-run console that has no other games of any note.

• Polytope says:

Rent a WiiU on eBay. (By rent, I mean purchase and re-sell.) I bet even a month from now, there will be a good market for a WiiU/BotW bundle.

Andy_Panthro says:

I have avoided Zelda temptation thus far because it’s out of stock everywhere. Hopefully the hype will decrease soon-ish, and I’ll continue working on my endless backlog.

Speaking of which, despite having 10 games already installed (plus a few on PS4), I decided to install and play a bit of Black Mesa and Blood & Gold: Caribbean!

Black Mesa: Good so far, faithful to the original mostly. Runs terribly on my laptop though, for some reason. (this is a laptop that can manage DX:MD and Dishonored 2, albeit on low settings).

Blood & Gold: It really does feel like a cross between Warband and Sid Meier’s Pirates!, but it also feels a bit shoddy and unfinished. I enjoyed being a pirate for a bit, before I got put on a slave plantation and organised a revolt. That didn’t go well. Not well at all.

• fish99 says:

It’s £320, but yeah it’s a lot for one game. It might well be my favourite game ever though, and i’m not even half way through yet (on wii u).

If you like Zelda games there’s no way you wouldn’t like it.

13. edwardoka says:

I was going to say “There are games other than Oxygen Not Included?” but I see that you’ve already mentioned it.

It has gripped me in a way that no game has, not even Factorio.

I’ve already had more than my money’s worth from it (I bought it two days ago) despite a few minor bugs.

Like if Pixeljunk Shooter was a colony management game, basically.

It isn’t a dorflike like say DF or Rimworld where you know the game will ramp up in difficulty (but you don’t know how due to the RNG), nor is it capable of emergent storytelling (I somewhat hope it never is.)

It’s pretty much a game of perfect information and the escalation is through the constant build up of carbon dioxide against dwindling resources and WHY DID YOU THROW UP IN THE WATER SUPPLY?! I WENT TO SO MUCH TROUBLE TO BUILD THAT.

Cycle 240 and I’ve been very much in a permanent puke spiral for the past 140, but I keep playing…

Thirith says:

Skyrim, which I’m currently replaying after running into a showstopper of a bug a few years ago. Also, Night in the Woods, which I’m enjoying greatly so far – and hopefully Arma 3, for the first time with a bunch of mates. (We’ve been playing Arma 2/Operation Arrowhead so far.) Fingers crossed it’ll work as planned!

15. NetharSpinos says:

I’ll be pottering around in the twilight hours of Rimworld-the spaceship is on the cusp of being completed, and the only thing left to ponder is what to do with my impressive menagerie. In other news I obtained Tides of Numenera with some trepidation (still remembering the misleading mediocrity of Wasteland 2) and haven’t looked back since. It’s rather good! I’m already looking forward to a second playthrough to discover the delicious alternate choices.
    Lastly, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada has finally made a resurgence in order to finish the campaign. Though it does seem to have gotten a lot harder since I played it last.

16. Joga says:

Taking a break from my PC and enjoying the heck out of Zelda BotW on Wii U.

17. Cyrus says:

I’m not really playing anything currently as I’m at the cottage and attending winterly businesses as skiing and drive snowmobile.

Though I have my laptop with me and could possibly play Diablo II or Baldurs Gate 2 (started a run years ago, just got out of the dungeon), we’ll see.

Elsewhere I would be playing Witcher 2 in anticipation of Wild Hunt.

18. Fomorian1988 says:

Torment: Tides of Numenera – and try to see Logan this weekend.

19. Xocrates says:

Still going around killing robot dinosaurs myself. Trying to finish this weekend, but the game is big enough that I’m not sure I will.

If I miraculously manage to finish it today, may toss in some Civ in there too.

20. kahki says:

Currently replaying Deus Ex and having a blast. Planning to move on to Precursors (which I instantly bought after finding out it and Xenus 2 had finally arrived on Steam) after it.

Also playing Anchorhead. I was aware of its reputation as one of the best works of interactive fiction, but I really had no idea it was THIS good! The writing especially. The openness of the world design is also greatly to my liking, since it really helps that you don’t have to solve the puzzles in a certain order (mostly). I can easily see this becoming one of my all time favorite games down the road.

Finally there’s Undertale, which I think is pretty good, but not great. I think I was spoiled by Space Funeral when it comes to these types of quirky indie RPGs. (I do really like some of the characters though.)

• floogles says:

Thanks for mentioning these, I would never have known about them. Wishlisted precursors.

21. Syneval says:

Elite:Dangerous … After not touching it for over a year, it pulled me back in!

I’m pumping the Sothis missions to make 30-50mil an hour in preparation of buying and A rating a vette. It’s a bit of a race as I suspect 2.3 will close the Sothis loophole. Or maybe not : )

22. varangian says:

Having recently built myself a new desktop system that is actually able to play some of the games snagged in Steam sales that would have stomped my old PC into the ground I’m playing a fair amount of catchup. So it’s Wolfenstein: The New Order and Alien Isolation on the menu this w/e. Plus some casual games that my old PC could have run but for reasons best known to Microsoft wouldn’t, like The Marvellous Miss Take.

AutonomyLost says:

On my 45th hour of Horizon Zero Dawn and feel like there’s a good 20+ left in it. Still stupefied regarding the quality stuffed into the game, wow.

Also, Wildlands. The progress from the beta does not carry over, which is idiotic, but other than that I’m a sucker for the game. SLI support also improved in a patch last night, so that’s a boon.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I know, how did Horizon Zero Dawn get everything so right? It’s pretty astonishing.

24. Shazbut says:

The House in Fata Morgana

25. Mi-24 says:

probably more sniper elite 4 which I’m really enjoying and I’ve also been sucked back into COH2 and other strategy games. My friend has also convinced me to give stellaris a try, whilst it’s on sale at humble so I might venture forth into the unknown (only played 1 4x space game before and never really got into it). The thing i think looks most interesting is the stories and personalities of different factions.

26. TechnicalBen says:

Morphblade.

10char?

27. Ghostwise says:

Incidentally, the older RPS posts seem to be disappearing. Once you reach link to rockpapershotgun.com there are increasingly large gaps between the posting dates.

I tried combining random objects from my inventory to activate something, but that didn’t work and none of the pixels seem clickable.

• Sin Vega says:

That’s probably something to do with Adam – he recently went back in time and was terribly worried about accidentally seducing Kieron. Protested rather too much, I’d have it.

28. Hawke says:

Torment: Tides of Numenera. Started the 2nd playthrough. I guess, I appreciate the game more now, when I know what to expect and don’t try to compare it to the other RPG.

29. CartonofMilk says:

hopefully will finish Watch Dogs 2 so i can clear space on my drive to install something else.

zinzan says:

Playing that game of
    1. Re-organise gaming desk – mainly by removing all my work crap piled aroumd, on, and under it.
    2. re-acquanit myself with my family after 5 days away – fun but tiring.
    3. Play my Combat Mission PBeM turns.
    4. try to decide what (if any) games to play.
    Finally – decide Sod it I’m watching Rugby Internationals & World Superbikes! :)

31. clonex10100 says:

I might try the witness. I’m still trying to work through the freedom bundle.

32. malkav11 says:

Debating that, really. I would like to play some more Torment but I hit a hard crash at the start of a Crisis that did not look especially pleasing to me and between that and a few other bugs I’ve run into and the idea that they will be patching in another companion, a codex, and so on I’m debating whether I want to try and finish now while it’s still a bit rough (but before Andromeda, hopefully), then maybe replay sometime after everything’s sorted, or wait for them to finish working on it and theoretically play it through then. With the caveat that I did that with Wasteland 2 and still haven’t even launched the Director’s Cut edition or whatever they called it.

Might well farm some gold in Hex, since there’s now even more gold sinks (like I freaking needed them, sigh) and it makes a decent backdrop to a bit of pod-listening. Hoping to play some Borderlands 2 w/ the (potential) ladyfriend. Want to catch up on my TV shows. And I dunno maybe I’ll finally load up DOOM or something.

33. michelangelo says:

Not long ago, I wanted to give my HDD some space to breathe, by cleaning some of installed, yet never played games. But charmed, by what games layed there, I started playing them instead))

1st one I sliced my sword throught, and enjoyed to do so (to my own surprise), was Metal Gear Rising. It was fun to dive into its combat system and wonderfull art design. What must be said, is that story is absurd, stupid and guy you play is an Asshole. And last mission is worth to be cut off entirely. Aside that, fun!

Currently, I am finally Hyper Light Drifting. And loving it!

34. fish99 says:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) for me. 30 hrs in and haven’t fought any of the beasts yet. Just enjoying doing shrines, side-quests, towers, and just exploring.

Early days yet but the quality is undeniable, easily one of the best games I’ve played. Great (and huge) open world, tons to do, story, characters, animation, awesome puzzles, gameplay, it has everything.

One thing I will say though: the game deserves to be on a more powerful system.

35. Ragnar says:

Steep is all I’ve been playing since I found out about the free weekend, and I can’t stop. I don’t care much for the ridiculous voice overs or the challenges, or the wing suit or parasailing, I just love skiing and riding down the mountain. It makes me miss actual skiing, but damn if it’s not relaxing and fun.

I was wondering prior to this how much fun the game could be, and how long just skiing and riding the mountain would entertain me for. Apparently the answer is very fun, and a very long time.

I do wish it was easier to just plop yourself down anywhere you wanted to on the mountain.

• Person of Interest says:

I had a great pickup group experience with Steep earlier today. I found another person hiking around in a barren area and joined them. For the next hour, we (a third passerby later joined) took turns leading the group through various activities, always waiting up if someone fell while skiing downhill, or posing together at landmarks. The collisions, pile-ups, and ill-timed wingsuit dives had me falling out of my chair with laughter!

There’s no text chat, or even emotes, from what I can tell (maybe voice chat? I never use it) which made our interactions purely playful. The experience reminded me of the brief friendships I made as a child when traveling with my family to a foreign country.

36. Paul B says:

Are we allowed to say what we’re listening to this weekend? I’ve just bought Semper Femina by Laura Marling and am really liking it’s mellow, folk musings. Spotify link.

sicanshu says:

Well, I got fired yesterday. So I’m thinking maybe a little stardew valley (and a shit load of beer) will ease the pain today. Then tomorrow I’ll be playing “Job Hunt 2: Unemployment Boogaloo”

• fiendling says:

Wow, what a crappy start to your weekend. Good luck with the job hunt.

38. fiendling says:

Ghost Recon Wildlands with 2 of my mates. We are having a hilarious blast.

I highly recommend it with the caveat that you absolutely have to play it with friends. Solo play is not nearly as much fun.

39. Zenicetus says:

Mostly flying X-Plane 11 beta. I want to do some strategy gaming too, but I’m stalled out on both Stellaris and Endless Space 2 (early access), waiting for the next major updates on both.

I might break down and buy Civ6, I dunno. Is the AI any better now than it was on release?

40. CriticalMammal says:

No man’s sky photo edition is all I’ve been doing since the update dropped. Got lots of pretty pictures.

Lars Westergren says:

Torment: Numenera. I’m absolutely loving it.

42. fahdiz says:

This weekend for me is mostly Bloodborne, with a bit of Enter the Gungeon.

I have almost pulled the trigger on buying Torment 3 times this weekend, but the mixed reviews have me wondering if I should wait for some patches and a sale, and maybe some DLC.

I think really what I’m wanting is No Truce With the Furies to be out, and I’m wishing Torment would scratch that itch.

43. Minglefingler says:

Torment. I wasn’t sure about the game for quite a while, I was enjoying it but not loving it, I felt oddly disconnected from the stories it was telling me despite the quality of the writing. Something clicked last night however (I’ll avoid details due to spoilers) and I now think it’s gonna end up being one of my favourite rpgs of recent years, if not all time.

44. floogles says:

2 short games -Archimedes and Stranded – which were both great. In between Tales From The Sword Coast which is surprisingly good, missed it the first time round.

45. Rainshine says:

Try to finish up the first Dragon Age again, on the Ashes quest. Beyond that, probably taking another swing into Eternal Legend and/or CK II, to see what the new patch has done to my savegame.

• Cyrus says:

Ahh, if I should fire up Dragon Age again it could only end with me being disappointed in the direction the series went, because I really liked the first game. I replayed it numerous times, and shortly after release as well, which can’t be said on many games.

• Rainshine says:

On one hand for me, it’s not a BAD game. You can pick your area progression. Dialog is eh. The combat is annoying at times (mobs that decide they must hit person A, and will ignore taunt and damage and snares and everything else to the exclusive focus of chasing person a. If I want to spend time running A in circles while the rest of the party hits the mob, great. Otherwise, just annoying. Also, cutscenes that put the party in a nice clump for incoming fireballs).
        On the other hand, there’s not a lot of variety in the ways you can end it. Individual quests will have the whole pick a or b thing, but it still feels railroady.
        But, hey, I enjoyed it, which is more than I can say for other big name games from that time: I’m looking at you, Mass Effect and Bioshock.

46. Unsheep says:

Spent most of Saturday playing Automobilista, continuing my championship and checking out the latest DLC stuff.

On Sunday I will finish up Styx Master of Shadows, before playing the sequel that recently came out. I should also have time for some Halcyon 6 and Gran Turismo 6.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Gravity Rush 2 on PS4. Been playing this (previously it’s prequel) for the last few weeks. I really like it. Probably one of the best super-hero games I have played.

Also bought Unexplored last night after reading the recent article about it so might play around with that some more. Already died once when I was attacked by three wolves which I accidentally set on fire who then set me on fire.

48. sege says:

I’ve been casting around for something to play for the last few weeks, and tried Metro Last Light from my backlog and got past the first level for the first time. It seems good. Seems like more emphasis on enabling a stealthy approach than the first game as I remember it, which so far can be completely ignored by blasting everyone in the room whenever you like. Which is great as generally i don’t like stealth games.
    Just found out we have visitors today which means another postponement of episode 4 of Life is Strange. No way do I want other grown ups to see me crying.

49. Skodric says:

Hall & Oates? Ooof. Give me strength.

Playing a bit of Panzer Corps and Xcom Apocalypse. Relevance, who needs it?

50. Boult Upright says:

X-COM Enemy Unknown, most likely due to getting X-COM 2 through Humble Bundle last month. I purchased EU on 18 March 2013…. And you know all that crazy talk about unhealthy attachment to particular operatives and despite consistent tactical and strategic blunders one keeps coming back for more? All True.