Day of Infamy launching properly this month

Day of Infamy [official site], their World War 2 spin-off from modern-day semi-serious FPS Insurgency, will leave early access and officially launch on March 23rd. That’s the word this week from developers New World Interactive. Our Brendan Prematurely Evaluated Day of Infamy in August 2016 and had a gay old time capturing points, shooting faces, relaying messages by radio, and, accidentally calling artillery barrages down upon his own team. Oh dear.

It’s very Insurgency-ish and a touch Day of Defeat-y, even borrowing a few maps from that WW2 FPS (with Valve’s support, of course). That makes it a class-based multiplayer shooter, with competitive modes from capturing points to assassinating targets and destroying materiel. It’s got some three cooperative modes too.

When Brendan played, he especially enjoyed playing the radio-running Support class. As well as relaying battlefield updates, he became some sort of primitive Megazord when paired with an officer.

“But it’s the combination of the radio man and Officer that made some of the game’s best moments for me. Officers can call in big smokescreens and lethal artillery barrages by looking at a point and hitting a single button. But they need to have a radio man with them to do it. Officers, halfway across the field, will start shouting: ‘Someone get me a fucking radio!’ and the Support is expected to deliver. My most heroic achievements in Day of Infamy were not shooting dozens of men from across the map, but sprinting down an exposed street under sniper fire, running across open clearings whilst dodging bullets and explosions – all to get my radio to the officer who needed it.”

Since then, NWI have released quite a few updates, bringing new maps, new modes, new weapons, extra prettiness, dismemberment, and buckets of bufixes.

If you’re interested now, Day of Infamy is £14.99/17,99€/$19.99 on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

New World Interactive have also been working on Insurgency: Sandstorm for release in 2018. It’ll jump from the Source engine to Unreal Engine 4 and, more importantly, introduce a singleplayer campaign. We’ve not seen much of Sandstorm but NWI did recently share a few screenshots, pieces of concept art, and details on the story.

It sounds not at all what I’d expect from a modern-day FPS. It stars two Iraqi women, who became freedom fighters after escaping enslavement by those eponymous insurgent, who team up with an American combat veteran and a French newbie on a personal quest. NWI say:

“Essentially, the narrative is a road-trip story. It’s about these characters bonding through the many challenges that arise. Their diverse experience leads to interesting character dynamics, but ultimately their actions extend beyond their own volition.

I’m up for that.

Over on the multiplayer side, plans include larger maps, light vehicles, competitive matchmaking, and an improved ballistics model. Something for everyone.

1. zeep says:

DOD players out there, is this really fun? Is it more 3.1-ish or 1.0-ish i wonder..

The good Day of Defeat was up to 3.1.

After that the developers were Valved. They changed a lot of things and 1.0 stopped being fun.

• Aldehyde says:

It’s much closer to Insurgency than DoD. Which, to me, is great but if you’re looking for something closer to DoD it’d probably be Days of War.

Day of Infamy is some of the most fun I’ve had in an FPS in a while.

• Palindrome says:

It has very little similarity with DoD, and today thats probably a good thing as DoD has not aged well at all. This is a decent enough multiplayer shooter although it’s respawn mechanics are a giant pain in the arse.

Red Orchestra 2 is still my default WWII FPS though.

• wodin says:

RO2 still for me:) I imagine only RO3 (if we ever see it) will beat RO2:)

Oh and please forgive my sin, I haven’t played a Battlefield game since the first one as I discovered the first RO. However due to my obsession with WW1 I bought BF1. I have to say I really do enjoy it in a comic book WW1 sort of way. Getting shot whilst trying to save a life as a medic feels like an heroic death:) Thing is I’m useless at it much better in RO2 and even then I’m no hotshot.

I have Verdun aswell. Thing with that game is the difficulty is outweighing any fun sadly. For me anyway.

2. dethtoll says:

Being a big fan of (Valve-era) DoD (and Source when it was briefly popular) I’m going to have to get this.

3. DEspresso says:

Between this and the other DoD Game (Days of War) the community seems undecided.

When I played DoI on the Free Weekend quite a while ago it was nothing like DoD, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing mind you. Just different. So I along with many adopted a wait and see stance.

Suddenly Day of War appeared and yes from the Lets’plays it seems like a reskinned/modernized Day of Defeat Clone which apparently even had some DoD maps?

At this point dod_donner got removed from Days of War..

Point is neither Game has gotten the needed traction in my Friendlist to support a decision either way.

Statistics:
    Game/Friends owning it/total playtime

Day of Infamy: 4 / 39,2h
    Days of War: 8 / 74,4h
    Day of Defeat(Source): 61 / 89016,9h

4. Mi-24 says:

I’d really recommend DOI to people who haven’t tried it: the squad system and the community make it really fun to play, you will actually encounter teamwork and it’s very rewarding when you do. Even if you never use a mic, you will find yourself silently pairing up with someone as you clear a building, covering each other when you reload, or at least both cowering behind the same sandbags under sniper fire.

5. mollemannen says:

The sniper class is where it is right now for me. The feeling of hitting the tip of a machinegunners helmet at distance, bolting another round and quickly reacting and flicking a shot straight into the upper body of another soldier almost at bayonet range is unprecedented in other games. Not even insurgency got the same feeling.