The Franz Kafka Videogame emerging in April

As Alice O’Connor awoke one morning from a troubled dream, she found herself changed in her bed into some monstrous kind of video game blogger. Oh bugger.

After making Shakespeare’s Hamlet weird in Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement, Denis ‘mif2000’ Galanin set his surreal sights on more-modern classics. The Franz Kafka Videogame [official site] will arrive on April 6th, publishers Daedalic announced this week, smooshing the writings of Franz Kafka into one absurd puzzle-adventure game. Here, have a gander in this trailer:

That’s a hodge-podge of Kafkabits all right. A wander across worlds. Haven’t the foggiest what it’ll turn out like but I like the sound of a silly jaunt more than an over-serious adaptation. Here’s your blurb:

“The protagonist named K. gets a sudden offer of employment. And this event changes his life, forcing him to make a distant voyage. To his surprise, the world beyond his homeland appears to be not as normal as he would think.

“Together with K. you will experience an atmosphere of absurdity, surrealism, and total uncertainty.”

I once saw a flashy staging of The Metamorphosis with the set a cutaway view of their house and Gregor’s bedroom upstairs rotated so the (bedroom) floor was actually on the (theatre) wall. With the help of straps and steps and a whole lot of muscle, Gregor would scuttle and skitter all over. A nice trick. Lovely music from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis too.

If you’d rather some serious nightmare bureacracy, North and Papers, Please are both cracking places to start. Kefkaesque is covered too.

From this site

1. Pich says:

This is gonna get amazing reviews solely for the fact that the writers will be able to call it “kafkaesque” without getting lynched by their coworkers

2. milligna says:

Pretty brazen David Lynch steal there. Excuse me, homage. I bet ol’ Franz would’ve written some incredibly tortured diary entries about it! Then again, he’d do that about anything.

3. caff says:

If it’s a proper Kafka game, the puzzle elements will be unsolvable, but they won’t hinder progression through the story.

Swordfishtrombone says:

I thought Kafka was from Prague?

• Naramzu says:

Well, he was a german-speaking jewish guy from the czech part of the Empire of Austria-Hungary. It’s complicated.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Haha, fair enough Naramzu! Just recall seeing something Kafka-related near Charles Bridge when I popped over there in 2012. Sorry Alice!

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah, flip, yes.

5. Chthonic says:

Heynongman, I see your Bang Bang reference, Alice!

6. Turkey says:

I read a bit of Kafka on the shore, but the wet sea breeze was rusting my Kindle so I had to stop.

7. Buggery says:

I hope they’re able to capture more of Kafka than the absurdity. He used Surrealism to make a point, not just to be weird for the sake of weirdness. The Trial, for example, is funny because Josef K’s situation is so absurd, but it uses that to invoke a universally applicable sense of hopelessness, confusion and despair in the reader.

Would like it if they can do a “The Castle” and leave the game unfinished but complete. I can already imagine how most gamers would like that.

8. escooler says:

If you cannot wait and you like your Kafka take a look at my now (free/tipable) game. Not enough people making this stuff
    link to escooler.itch.io

• caff says:

Brilliant! Been playing this tonight and had to give you a tip for it, it’s so Kafka!