Yonder looks a bit Zelda, a bit Stardew Valley, all lovely

Oh sure, Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles [official site] might look Legend of Zelda-y and okay, it is about a hero roaming the land to save it from evil, but get this: no combat. It’s Zelda filtered through Stardew Valley, a game where you save the world by helping people with your talents for farming, fishing, crafting, and such. No combat! Developers Prideful Sloth this week announced that they’ll release Yonder on July 18th and, while I’m a little hazy on quite what it is, this new trailer has me charmed:

Yonder goes down on an island where our hero has shipwrecked. It squeezes in a world’s worth of biomes, complete with a day/night cycle and seasons. And… what are we doing here? Prideful Sloth say an “evil murk” is causing trouble:

“The hero of Yonder will explore the island, uncovering its secrets and the mysteries within them self as they embarks on a journey of self-discovery, while saving Gemea and its people. On the quest to become the island’s champion, he or she will join forces with natives and Sprites, ethereal creatures whom are the only thing capable of dispersing the murk.

“The towns of Gemea are filled with kind-hearted residents who have faced many difficulties since the arrival of the murk. By contributing to the island through talents like farming, crafting, cooking, fishing and brewing, relationships can be built with the locals, who offer everything from resources to a new farm as rewards.”

Ace. Both Zam and PlayStation Lifestyle seem to dig the preview versions they played. I can’t envision how it all comes together, because I’m a fool dulled by years of world-saving games tying together peaceful minigames like this with hours of murder, but I’m keen to see for myself. July 18th.

From this site

1. redhqs says:

I’m liking the variety of hats on display

2. joe balls says:

“Yonder goes down on an island… ”

In the bush?

mattmacks says:

I need this.
    I need more good to great peaceful adventure games in my live. Not because I am averse to action, but because I quite like the calm provided by these type of games after a stressful day at work.

4. Koozer says:

Sounds very Harvest Moon with possibly greater emphasis on exploration and a less needy farm to compensate. I can see the player needing to fetch gifts for these various sprites so they’ll clear the murk for you and ‘win’ the game.

• oldkc says:

Jenny’s birthday today.
      Go give her a gift. She is 8 miles North-North-East of here, and loves obsidian coconuts.

5. Kollega says:

I wish more games tried to build themselves around this sort of thing – this particular one already sounds good, but what’d be totally awesome if it was, say, a steampunk frontier game where you play as an engineer who is responsible for building up a new town, interacting with the inhabitants to gather resources and set up production facilities. Kind of like if Vessel’s M. Arkwright was plucked from his game and dropped into a game halfway between Minecraft and an Impressions city-builder.

Or, to take another example, imagine a game in a sort of magical or retrofuturistic setting where you play as a landscape engineer; for example, a (space) wizard with control over earth, water, and metal ordered to do things like build a hydroelectric dam, or carve a mountain pass for a steam railroad, or create the foundations with canals between them on a floodplain so that a new fishing/farming city can be built there.

I’m sure there are more ideas like that; for games that do not have combat, and instead somehow represent construction and engineering from a fantasy point of view. I understand that it may not be considered “marketable”, but hey, Minecraft is literally a game about building stuff out of blocks representing dirt, stone, wood, and other natural materials – it wouldn’t normally be expected to go anywhere, and yet it’s one of the most successful games ever.

I guess what I’m saying is, there’s a dire lack of games about construction that, instead of a bird’s-eye-view, plop you down into the action and let you use fantastical technology/magic to build stuff as the guy on the ground. And I really wish there were more of these.

6. ukpanik says:

The main quest is to rescue Princess Innovative from the evil Baron Derivative.

7. Seafoam says:

When a game can be accurately described by listing other titles, it makes me so conflicted.
    Is it inspiration? Is it plagiarism? Is it it’s own thing?
    Does it matter? Who cares?
    Is having clear influences a bad thing? Does it matter if it’s “like Zelda and Harvest Moon” if the game is good? Can a game like that be good?
    Will games like this cause the creative industry to stagnate and inbreed?
    As you can see from the amount of question marks I really can’t make up my mind about this. Is having clear influences good or bad from a industry and creative standpoint? I just cannot say!

• Alice O'Connor says:

I mean, a headline has space for only so many words, hence this sort of shorthand. And even within that comparison, “looks a bit Zelda, a bit Stardew Valley” could describe half a dozen theoretical games that, placed side by side, would seem quite different.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

As long as console exclusives exist, I’m fine with that.

• Darth Gangrel says:

If you can’t quickly describe a game by using “it’s A with B”, an elevator pitch, then neither the journalists nor anyone else will look at it. Saying that it’s like nothing else out there sounds pretentious and vague – i.e. boring.

For better or worse, people need easy comparisons.

8. Snowskeeper says:

Time to be That Guy again:
    Stardew Valley had combat. Even had swords.

• Siimon says:

I don’t think it was implied that it didn’t.
      “Stardew Valley, a game where you save the world by helping people with your talents for farming, fishing, crafting, and such” read to me like combat isn’t the main point of the game or how you win the game, which is true.

• Snowskeeper says:

“Oh sure, Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles [official site] might look Legend of Zelda-y and okay, it is about a hero roaming the land to save it from evil, but get this: no combat. It’s Zelda filtered through Stardew Valley, a game where you save the world by helping people with your talents for farming, fishing, crafting, and such. No combat!”

9. racccoon says:

Nice, its locked in somewhere..

10. Deviija says:

I love the style and colors and scope for the game. I’m looking forward to it.

11. MrLoque says:

Perfect title to play with my 7 and 10 years old kids… if only it was in Italian too. I really miss a lot of great titles due to language barriers. It’s a real shame :(