Crime is coming to Planet Coaster

Right now, the worst thing that can happen to the population of Planet Coaster [official site] is an upset tummy, or a lack of cash on-hand to pay for overpriced pop and burgers. Of course, combine the upset tummy and the overpriced food, and you end up with puddles of vomit, so perhaps the worst thing that can happen to the population of Planet Coaster is the involuntary, forceful expulsion of undigested, overpriced nosh through their noses and mouths.

That’ll all change on April 11th, when a free update brings pickpockets and vandals to your parks, along with a stack of new rides.

I reckon the best way to react to the presence of the criminal element is to build a Judge Dredd themed rollercoaster that terrifies wrongdoers back onto the straight and narrow, but Frontier will be providing some more direct tools for crime prevention. Cameras can catch crims in the act and you can hire new staff in the form of security guards. Ideally, you’ll be able to dress all of your guards in the fashion of sentient meat disc, Chief Beef, the park mascot who already appears to be a law enforcement officer of some type. If I thought a living burger would hunt me down if I did a crime, I’d be the most law-abiding citizen in the world.

The people trying to put a dampener on your park life will come in two categories: vandals are unhappy guests who take their displeasure out on the park, while pickpockets come to the park the park purely to prey on the purses of the other visitors.

Here you can see the law in action.

Along with the new criminal activity, there will be seven new rides:

Rollercoasters

Steel Hydra. Feel the G-force aboard Planet Coaster’s first suspended swinging coaster.
Trident. Go there and back again with the first of Planet Coaster’s two new shuttle coasters.
Bakasura. Trident’s bigger, badder brother is a thrilling inverted boomerang coaster.

Tracked Ride

‘Speed’ Go Karts. Design your own karting tracks using Planet Coaster’s powerful track editor and see your guests put pedal to the metal! Who will win and who will spin?

INTERRUPTION FOR A GO KARTS VIDEO BECAUSE THEY LOOK RAD

Flatrides

Elixir Machine. 360 degrees of spinning, swinging, twisting, upside-down insanity.
Big Wheel. An iconic favorite from the golden age of theme parks.
ZoZo. The long-armed ZoZo is another addition to Planet Coaster’s lineup of vintage classics.

Although I agree with the criticisms in our verdict, which I took part in, I’m still enjoying Planet Coaster, even though I wish it were more challenging. The money just keeps rolling in. Perhaps what I need is a crimewave to shake things up.

From this site

Drib says:

This game looks neat, and a new coaster game is certainly nice to see.

But everyone makes these criticisms re: the actual game. Creativity tools are fun and all, but if the game mechanics are so dull and easy, it takes something away from the experience.

Maybe continued content updates will help out.

• DeadlyAccurate says:

I hope so. The park creation tools are amazing, but I just couldn’t get into the game. I want a more detailed business sim than this game has.

• BobbyDylan says:

This. Totally agree. I got really disheartened when I realised I could download a pre-made asset form the Steam Mod page, plonk it down next to a ride, and the ride would have 100% scenery, and make massive amounts of money. Very disappointing.

• battles_atlas says:

Yes, was hugely looking forward to this scratching the itch of Theme Park, but I can’t quite find where the ‘game’ is in there. It looks great, and the designer tools are impressive, though the crap interface puts me off ever doing much with them, but in terms of growing and managing a theme park… it doesn’t really feel like there is anything there.

• Carra says:

Glad to read I’m not the only one feeling like that.

I played dozens of hours with RCT 3 a year or two ago. But Planet Coaster? I feel like I’m done after 10 hours. Great fun if you’re into designing things (I’m not) but it’s not really challenging.

I had a lot more fun playing Pharaoh for the first time this year. A modern Pharaoh, I would love to see that.

• Lv1Magikarp says:

Exactly my point on the game, there is way too much hype surrounding it, personally I feel they got off lightly with their release due to 90% of people were on the hate bandwagon for RCT:W so they all overlooked the massive flaws in Planet Coaster.

The career mode just feels tedious and boring, no sense of achievement what so ever.

Challenge mode was great until it started being unplayable due to framerate.

Not played a month or two but when I did souvenir shops or other misc shops were just pointless, peeps just didn’t seem interested. I don’t know about you but all the theme parks I have been too have souvenir shops or stands at every big ride and you can make a safe bet they are damn popular, not mentioning the generic souvenir shops that are always dotted about the park.

To sum it up, we get it, you like your little piece by piece builder but you are taking away from what RCT (I know it’s not RCT, but that’s just solely down to them not being able to call it so) actually is, a tycoon / management game. We’re left with quite frankly an underwhelming selection of rides and shops, poor management options, poor peep design (see shops above) and a piece by piece system – which seemed to be used as a scape goat at launch when only 3 (ish) stores actually had designs, the rest were skeletons!

I love both games but they each ruined themselves by rushing to launch, would have loved to see what they would have been like with an extra 6-12 months of development.

2. The First Door says:

Oooh, that’s really exciting! I was hoping they’d manage to put Go Karts in and they certainly do look rad! Rad enough that I suspect I’ll end up going and having another play when the update come out.

3. Retorrent says:

As much as I like them adding new content to the game I wish they would focus on optimizing it before adding in new things. Im running on a i7 7700K with a GTX 1080 and the frame rates drop to a crawl once you get a large park going. Fix it first then add new stuff!

4. SaintAn says:

Well lets hope they don’t make it realistic because that would be bad. My mom and sisters went to Disney World in December and my mom caught a Mexican or Cuban stealing from purses outside the bathroom and he stalked her around the park for a while then my mom sent my sisters to counter stalk him after he left so she could report him and apparently they outsource jobs to Asian foreigners that can’t speak English so she couldn’t get help from the useless staff and went to find a security guard who admitted they can’t do anything to the guy robbing people in the park even though my mom could point him out. And so the security guard sent his other security to find my sisters who were still tailing the guy doing a better job than a park full of security could do. Disney is such a shithole now.

Comment on this story