Tale of Ronin explores the life and death of samurai

Less than twenty seconds into the trailer for Tale of Ronin [official site], I nodded my head and made a note: “The Banner Saga but Bushido”. I made another note at the end, which is even simpler: “HANDSOME”. The first note is speculative. I don’t know enough about Tale of Ronin to say whether or not it’ll be similar to Stoic’s series, but the scenes of the ronin leading a train of characters across the screen brought Banner’s similar shots to mind immediately. It’s similarly stunning as well, though the art style is very different.

The combat sequences seen are playable too, in “turn-based simultaneous resolve” fashion. I guess that means rock paper scissors style, except with swords instead of scissors. And instead of rocks and paper. Not a shotgun in sight though.

Developers Dead Mage say they’ll be focusing on “the human side of the Samurai and the role of their personal emotions in their adventures and combat”, which could be a nice change of pace from my current favourite Nioh (PS4 only), which is entirely about hitting people with swords so that they drop more swords.

I reckon the most interesting aspect of Tale of Ronin might be the persistent world though.

Sekai System, you die, the world lives: play the story of a new Ronin in the same world after each death.

Depending how much your actions can change the world, or how much it dynamically changes in the background as you play, this could be a heck of a feature. Any game that allows me to die and then discover traces of my own life in the next is instantly appealing.

1. Superpat says:

Now thats an art style

2. Treners says:

Looks great!

The whole “world continues when your character dies” thing is something I like from Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Once I started a new character in an established world (you can choose to keep or delete the world when your character dies), and after a while came across a town with a gun store. Gun stores (if you can find a way to break in) are great early game- they usually have at least one gun with compatible ammo, and occasionally some gun mods. However breaking in usually requires explosives or a big ol’ truck you don’t mind breaking (both limited resources).

So, imagine my surprise when there was already a big hole blown in the side of it, with everything useful gone. It then dawned on me I’d been here before with a previous character (you don’t always spawn in the same place of course, I’d spawned a few miles west of this original character).

Lo and behold, with a bit more wandering I found my previous character’s corpse. Which I promptly butchered and ate.Remember kids, it’s not cannibalism if it was your leg in the first place!

3. Claive says:

Well my oh my, looks like someone finally got around to making that turn-based samurai duel game I have been daydreaming about for the last couple of years. Best of luck to you guys and if the game is half as good as the artwork I am in for a treat.

Benratha says:

Can’t believe you didn’t go with “Rock Paper Shogun” for your tag….

Shades of Darkest Dungeon in there maybe?

5. Captain Narol says:

Looks very interesting, especially the dynamic persistant world aspect.

I crave for a MMO with such a dynamic world where things you do have a permanent effect, that would be the perfect antithesys of the now rusty theme park concept.

• lordcooper says:

It’s called Eve.

• Captain Narol says:

Eve Online, indeed, has something like that but it could go much farther. I’m an Eve veteran myself…

• SaintAn says:

MMO genre is dead. Will be a long time until they revive. Would have to be after the gaming industry crashes and the non-gamers leave.

Masked Dave says:

Didn’t Samurai have armour made from paper? Which was primarily used for stopping arrows. Arrows which are arguably just sharp rocks on sticks?

7. muther22 says:

I am in awe of the art.

8. lordcooper says:

This is bloody gorgeous.

9. SaintAn says:

No Japanese shamisen music, and no broken English Japanese narrator? Shame, it looks good, but it needs more that just looks.