Full Throttle Remastered rides again in April

The Polecats will ride again, with flash new jackets, on April 18th. That’s the release date announced today for Full Throttle Remastered [official site], Double Fine’s revamp of LucasArts’ fan-flipping-tastic 1995 adventure game about futurebikers. After 22 years, it still has one of the finest openings in games.

Double Fine’s update brings new artwork along with remastered sound and music, and the option to switch between the old and new sound, graphics, and UI separately as you see fit. Here’s a peek at the new stuff:

I still prefer the older pixel art looks to the blobby lines of Double Fine’s remasters but hey, that’s why it has an option. I’m delighted that Full Throttle will be available legitimately for the first time in yonks, and glad that the new art will make it more inviting to many people who haven’t played this lovely game.

This ongoing revamping also fuels my dreams that maybe, one day, Double Fine will bring back do Sam & Max Hit the Road. So far they’ve only remastered LucasArts games that Double Fine boss Tim Schafer worked on — Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango — and he didn’t touch Sam & Max. Let me dream.

Full Throttle Remastered is coming April 18th to Windows, Mac, and Linux. I normally wouldn’t mention pre-order bonuses because ‘flip’ pre-ordering but seeing as this game has kinda been out for 22 years and opinions on it are not uncommon, if you know you want in you can save a few quid by pre-ordering on GOG

1. Ghostwise says:

Not even a glimpse of Maureen ? Or did I miss it ?

2. Danda says:

Already pre-ordered! I’m going to play this on day one :)

Personally, I like the remaster work done on this one and DOTT. What I definitely don’t like is the Monkey Island abominations. Who thought that was a good idea?

3. deiseach says:

I’m putting my lips on that.

Ahem. I’ll buy it only if it has a way of short-circuiting that evil wall-kicking puzzle. Oh, and retaining the pixels of the original while dispensing with the ASCII subtitles that was dated even when it came out would be nice.

4. Isendur says:

LucasArts – now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time…

5. unacom says:

Pre-Ordering? Maybe later.

My personal number one. Period.
    Illogical puzzles? Forgiven.
    A camera, that wont pan unless you walk to that spot on the left. Close, but not yet. Closer. THAT spot. Almost there. Alm… too late. You´re toast. Try again. Forgiven.
    Wagnerian Varta Rabbits. Unh. Almost forgiven.
    But. The good stuff.
    Mo.
    Those stuck doors.
    The banality of evil.
    Art that makes me smell diesel and dust.

• deiseach says:

When I get a band together – I’m only 40, it can still happen! – I have my name.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I look forward to hearing what kind of music “Those stuck doors” will come up with.

6. ButteringSundays says:

Woop!

One of my all time favourites, and the last couple times i tried to play it using dosbox or similar I encountered showstopping problems.

“The customer with a knife is always right.”

• cjone2 says:

Probably want ScummVM if you want to run the original today.

One of the first games I have any memory of. Will certainly be getting at some point barring it being completely broken.

7. Marclev says:

If they were to start doing that, how about LucasArts games that aren’t p&c adventures?

I would pay seriously insane sums of money for a remaster of Outlaws.