Everything has the best animated animals anywhere

Everything [official site] is the new game from David OReilly, artist, director and creator of RPS’s favourite Mountain. We’ve already heard whispers about Everything, notably that it is coming to PS4 before Windows and Mac. Now, along with a lengthy new trailer, the release date has been announced. It’ll be coming to PS4 on March 21st and to Steam on April 21st.

But what is Everything? I’m not entirely sure, but I am in love with every single one of these animals and their outrageous methods of locomotion.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but Spore, Noby Noby Boy and Sim Life walk out of a bar…

That’s my take. Here’s the official word:

“Everything is an interactive experience where everything you see is a thing you can be, from animals to planets to galaxies and beyond. Travel between outer and inner space, and explore a vast, interconnected universe of things without enforced goals, scores, or tasks to complete. Everything is a procedural, AI-driven simulation of the systems of nature, seen from the points of view of everything in the Universe.

“Learn to change what you are to create worlds within worlds within worlds, or let go any time to allow Everything to take over and produce a never ending documentary about the world you live in.”

Maybe it’s the spiritual sequel to Nested I’ve always wanted? And now that I’ve mentioned Nested, it is inevitable that I spend half an hour poking at it. You should follow my lead.

I can’t think of the last time I’ve wanted to play something as much as I now want to play Everything, without knowing what playing Everything might actually involve. I’m hoping for worlds within worlds that I can observe at my leisure, from any available perspective and how ridiculous is it to think that I might get exactly that. I can’t wait. So much so that I’m probably going to buy it on PS4 next week.

Look at these happy bears.

From this site

distantlurker says:

November 8, 2016, Proposition 64.
    March 15, 2017, whatever the weird, blinking madness this is.

Coincidence?

2. xcession says:

I’ve no idea what to write in comment here, but somehow that vid makes me want to write something here more than anything in the world. Let this be it.

• SBLux says:

That is without doubt the best game trailer I have ever seen in my life. Not only does it look like a fascinating game idea but also there are profound truths in what is being said.

• LTK says:

It makes me not want to play the game because the trailer itself is such a beautiful illustration to go along with a captivating speech that playing it could only ruin it.

3. April March says:

There aren’t enough whats in the world to describe what I think, but I like it.

I was going to post this video that the trailer reminded me of and wasn’t surprised that it’s by the same person.

4. Treners says:

A few centuries down the line somebody is going to find this game and it’ll become their creation myth, I’m sure.

5. TheMightyEthan says:

The best comparison I see is Katamari…

6. Mitza says:

Ah, yes, thought about Nested when I first saw this new project (but forgot how it was actually called). Love this guy, but be aware that these are not usually games per se, but a different kind of experience.

Either way, bring on the craziness!

• ZippyLemon says:

Yeah. This is an interactive system, not a “video game”. I don’t expect points, win conditions, or cinematic cutscenes marking the end. The meaning will be defined by the mind of the beholder.

This is not in the category of things Roger Ebert said could never be art.

At the very least, I hope they release more soothing trailers narrated by Alan Watts! I loved the synergy in this video of the play on-screen and the meaning in his speech.

Ninja Dodo says:

If by “best” you mean “the opposite of best”… Sorry, but as an animator who cares about how things actually move this game hurts my eyes.

It mostly just makes me wish there was a game that actually explored what it would be like to jump between all these animals and move like them.

As a game or piece of art on its own merits I firmly don’t get it. (and that’s ok, Everything is clearly not for Everyone)

Ninja Dodo says:

OK, you know what I’m watching the rest of the trailer now and I am slightly revising my opinion: the scale jumping is neat (but I still say the bizarre tumbling animals is a baffling choice).

• ZippyLemon says:

It’s about limiting your workload, and it’s the only realistic choice when you set out to simulate Everything.

Looking at quantum mechanics, you see God cut similar shortcuts ;D

Ninja Dodo says:

It’s not even consistent though. If you have the insects move with a simple hop-hop movement why not just do the same thing with the bears and lions? Just because you don’t have an animation budget doesn’t mean you have to go all “look at this static model tumbling away, isn’t it surreal and meta and stuff?”.

Anyway, like I said: I don’t get it.

(I like the art direction and scenery though, I’ll give it that)

• haldolium says:

“Anyway, like I said: I don’t get it.”

Maybe just because it really does look hilarious on a non-meta and very basic level of entertainment?

When I worked on 3D animations the glitches or quick previs stuff at least created equally awesome moments of pure joy due to behaviour like this (and I enjoy each time a game or movie offers outstanding animations such as INSIDE did)

I would agree though that it could be more consistent.

• Synesthesia says:

As an animator myself, I quite like it! Granularity is a choice.
      I feel the tumbling around helps a lot with it’s weird, dreamy, salvia trip vibe.

It’s a bit like the pretension of hyperrealism in 3d.

yhancik says:

As an animator, are you aware of the work of David OReilly?

8. bigblack says:

That was beautiful. The Watts snippets add quite a lot, seems almost as if the game was designed with them in mind from the start.

9. Swartan says:

Watching this trailer really inspired me to look at my molecules really hard.
    I certainly see a bear now between my h2o and carbon.
    Stop dancing, you silly bear!

10. GrumpyCatFace says:

I saw a bear do a somersault once. 9/10 for realism.

11. Synesthesia says:

That is the best walking loop ever made. So fucking good.

caff says:

I’m intrigued. Some of the brutal animation transformations reminded me of “A Town Called Panic”. I’ll wait to see how it transpires as a game/experience/thing.

13. shrieki says:

best game-trailer ever. holy schnitzel!

14. Jkabuto says:

I hated that background dialogue. I’ve been fed enough times the higher orders theory, and I was genuinelly surprised it moved so many people, here and in the youtube comment section. And the stumbling animals, and final moment with gigantic animals in space? I felt that the film was trying to fill me with awe, and a sense of contemplating nature, but that sillines got me out of the experience fast.
    Anyways, I’m interested in what it’ll end up being. Really liked Mountain, so I won’t miss this, but I can’t say this film sold it for me.

15. spleendamage says:

The best thing about this game is: if it’s everything, no DLC.

16. robotslave says:

The video looks nice and all, but why’s it got an audiolog from The Witness playing in the background?

keithzg says:

Wait, is this one not actually coming to Linux like Mountain did? (And pretty much everything else DoubleFine publishes?)

*checks around*

Huh, on link to davidoreilly.com I see “on 3.21 on PS4 and 4.21 on PC & Mac” and “PC” doesn’t not mean Linux (not that Macs aren’t also PCs, but that’s a whole can of worms there). Over at link to everything-game.com it just says “It launches on PS4 March 21st & Steam on April 21st.” which is even less specific but in being so perhaps more accurate? Annoyingly, there doesn’t appear to be a Steam page yet (I’m presuming it’s because the Sony money that’s resulting in the month difference in launch dates would be upset if the Steam version was being advertised alongside the PS4 launch) so there isn’t any authoritative source to turn to. I guess I’ll just cross my fingers!

Comment on this story