Capcom re-releasing vintage Disney NES games

A sextet of vintage NES games based on Disney cartoons are being remastered and bundled up for re-release in April, Capcom have announced. The Disney Afternoon Collection will pack Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers, Rescue Rangers 2, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, DuckTales 2, and TaleSpin. That’s five platformers and one shoot ’em up. They’re expanded a bit too, packing new Boss Rush Time Attack modes plus a ‘Museum’ collecting art and ephemera. Capcom are working on this with Digital Eclipse, the folks behind the Mega Man Legacy Collection.

I only know some of those Disney games, and only encountered them in the past few years, and do not think too highly of them. But if you’ve got childhood memories to relive, these should be good releases. Capcom say:

“All six games are new and improved HD versions of the originals and feature a number of filtering options that replicate a classic retro look and feel. This collection also offers new ways to play with Boss Rush and Time Attack modes for each game. In Boss Rush mode, players battle through challenging boss encounters consecutively, while Time Attack mode encourages time-based gameplay and provides online leaderboards that track the fastest times for each game. A new ‘Rewind’ feature makes these challenging titles more accessible for newcomers, with the option to rewind time and enjoy a swift recovery from blunders. Additionally, the in-game Disney Museum will provide history buffs with a wealth of content to celebrate the era of the original releases, such as concept art, advertisements, character art, and music – all preserved in their original glory.”

Digital Eclipse’s Mega Man collection was achingly faithful, even preserving flickering and slowdown. They take preservation seriously.

Frank Cifaldi of Digital Eclipse gave a smashing talk at the Game Developers Conference last year, griping about how bad the games industry is at preserving history and making it readily available. He even specifically mentioned DuckTales as a game unavailable in its original form, only as the modern remake. A year later, problem solved! Cifaldi is also one of the founding members of Video Game History Foundation.

The Disney Afternoon Collection is due April 18th, priced at £15.99/19,99€/$19.99.

[Disclosure: I know Frank Cifaldi a wee bit through a mutual acquaintance. A few years back we went to a Steve Purcell exhibition, where I got a signed huge print of the Sam & Max Hit the Road boardgame for $20. Result!]

From this site

1. killias2 says:

Ducktales is pretty great. This is when Capcom was making some of the best action games on the planet, and Ducktales really stands up there with the Mega Man games and the like. I played Rescue Rangers as a kid and liked it, but I haven’t really revisited it since. I don’t have much of an opinion on the rest, though I’ve heard Darkwing Duck often discussed as a “lost” Mega Man title.

But yeah.. anyone who enjoyed Shovel Knight should check out Ducktales, at a minimum.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

I had DuckTales for the NES when I was a kid. I still remember how absurdly difficult to pull off they made the control combo to make Scrooge McDuck bounce on his cane. And I also remember how they made Scrooge bouncing on his cane the central gameplay mechanic.

Screw that game.

• PancakeWizard says:

Ducktales already had a remaster though (as did Castle of Illusion), so if that’s the only one that interests you there’s no need to get this whole collection of the originals.

2. c-Row says:

I know it’s not Capcom, but there seems to be no love for The Quest For Gold in the world.

• VanDerSpar says:

I honestly look for this exact thing every time people mention redos of old Disney games. Lately my sister and I have done a run of Disney DOS titles. Aladdin, Lion King, Quest for Gold und so weiter.
      I had totally forgotten how little challenge Quest for Gold brings, except for the flying and the mummy grottos… I probably manage to get through one in 1/50 attempts. Golden games indeed.

3. devronius says:

Needs more Lucky Dime Caper.

4. TheManfromAntarctica says:

Ok, but what about Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow?

(also, login to this website is truly terrible – I had to do it twice and refresh every time I clicked on a link)

• Det. Bullock says:

Not a Capcom game unfortunately.
      Luckly I still have my Mega drive Cartridge from when I was a kid (though the title is “Donald in Maui Mallard” but it’s still the same game) but boy is this game difficult, only my brother managed to beat it some way or another.

5. mollemannen says:

sweeter love than that between capcom and disney have never been. perhaps that of rare and nintendo came close but sadly lacked the passion.

6. Jalan says:

The TaleSpin game is the weakest of the bunch. The NES version is a not-so-good side scrolling shooter.

• Turkey says:

Yeah. I remember the first level being absurdly hard because you had to upgrade to be able to have more than one bullet on screen at a time.

particlese says:

Ohhh, boy, Rescue Rangers was brutally hard for me back in the day, but my older sister did manage to beat it at least once. I also have fond memories of blasting through much of it with Game Genie. And/or with friends, knocking them over the head with cinder blocks and throwing them off the powerlines where no cheat codes could help them, etc. Ah, Disney games!

8. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

It’s odd that they don’t mention the release platforms. I mean, yes they state “PC”, but which of the three operating systems on PC is it coming to?

9. FecesOfDeath says:

Nintendo Switch version or no buy.

10. Massenstein says:

Ducktales and Rescue Rangers 2 were some of my favourite games on NES. Probably objectively some of the best ones too; long and varying levels and interesting bossfights, and the musics were nice too.

11. Rince says:

I remember fondly the Rescue Rangers game. And of course Ducktales.

Comment on this story