Settle down: Civilization 6 demo available now

If you’ve been living off the grid and wiping your bum with nettles in the hope that Civilization will one day have a ‘try before you buy’ policy, today is your lucky day. The latest in the venerable strategy series, Civilization VI [official site], now has a demo.

Players who download the Sid Meier’s Civilization VI demo will be able to play as China, led by Qin Shi Huang and take their first steps building a new civilization for up to 60 turns in to the game. For those completely new to the Civilization series the demo also includes the tutorial from the full game to introduce and guide beginners to the world of Civilization.

That’s just about enough time to get to grips with some of the new features, though not enough time to really unpack your capital city and to see all the districts spilling onto the map.

I reckon it’s a cracker, Civ VI, and you can read all about my reasoning here. I’ll admit that I’ve now fallen into the waiting period for a first expansion though, which mainly involves speculating about how the diplomacy system might pack some more muscle onto its frame.

Still, if you’re hankering for some Civ, the demo will give you a good taste, and the full game has just gone on sale as well, with 20% off the base game and 25% off the digital deluxe edition.

From this site

1. MiniMatt says:

Definitely the best pre-expansion pack Civ since, well, ever. And I think, overall it beats an expanded Civ 5. And personally I’d say it just about beats Civ 4 BTS, but can see the merit in those who say otherwise.

Yet despite all this, I’ve certainly played it less than any other Civ, not sure why, perhaps there are just more games out there, perhaps my tastes have moved on, perhaps Paradox et al are just doing more interesting things in the genre..

• ooshp says:

I’d almost agree, except the AI/diplomacy are absolute trash. Love the new city planning, espionage, and split culture/tech trees, all brilliant. But golly is the AI as terrible as its ever been.

And Gandhi is *still* a total cunt.

Gandhi. Gandhi never changes.

• carewolf says:

Since Civ 2? ;)

2. Don Reba says:

That’s some brilliant writing right there.

3. HigoChumbo says:

Well, no good for me.

I find it ridiculous that my DirectX 10.1 card can run XCOM:EU and CiV 5 smoothly with more than decent graphics yet I can’t even launch XCOM2 or CiV6 when they are graphically almost the same (and not particularly demanding anyways) just because they have moved to DirectX 12.

I get graphics have to advance… but if you tell me my card is perfectly able to run XCOM and not even launch the identically lookig XCOM2… well, that’s hard to believe. Self like an imposed obsolescence.

Nauallis says:

Civ 6 works with Direct X 11 as well:
      Minimum Specs

OS: Windows 7 64bit / 8.1 64bit / 10 64bit
      Processor: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater
      Memory: 4 GB RAM
      Hard drive: 12 GB or more
      DVD-Rom: Required for disc-based installation
      Video card: 1 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 5570 or Nvidia 450)

And come on, be honest, being able to play games that are 4 and 6 years old on a weak graphics card isn’t some amazing feat. That you think XCOM2 looks identical to XCOM:EU… probably time to cough up for a new monitor, GPU, and glasses.

• HigoChumbo says:

I can play games that look infinitely better than XCOM with my Directx 10.1 card, like Battlefield 3/4, Arma2/3 and Overwatch, with more than decent graphic settings and framerates. If you want strategy examples, I can play Starcraft 2, Wargame:RD and all Total Wars up to, again, the change to Directx 12 (so all but Warhammer).

So what is it exactly that makes my card not be able to play an apparently much less technologically advanced and much less demanding game like XCOM2?

I insist, forced obsolescence.

(By the way, I fail to see what’s so groundbreakingly different from a graphics point of view between XCOM 1 and 2. Hell, they even use a tweaked version of the same graphics engine… By the way, an engine with which other games like Batman:Arkham Asylum, Dishonored or Bioshock Infinite use, games that I have played and completed with no problem, and which also look far better than XCOM 2).

• UncleLou says:

All the games you mention that run fine use the Unreal engine, which is indeed pretty efficient.

Bit simple to compare it to XCOM2 (which, btw., looks *significantly* better than XCOM) though, which is a totally different kind of game, has procedurally generated maps, allows for entirely different camera perspectives (use a free camera mod in, say, Dishonored and see how well the framerate holds up), destructible environments, and whatnot.

Not sure where you even get the idea that it is “much less technologically advanced and less demanding” than games you mention like Starcraft 2, etc.

As far as Total War is concerned, I am surprised you’re happy with the performance. TW: Warhammer is a good example why DX12 is great though, it runs (and looks) significantly better than older TW games on the same hardware.

4. Chris says:

Playing Civilization 6 is rather like having carnal knowledge of a dead sheep.

5. Velox says:

Glad the demo is out so I can make up my mind. Opinions on civ 6 are so confusing. Looking at positive/mixed/negative reviews at metacritics you have 79/8/1 from websites vs 80/52/79 from users..

Comment on this story