Sonic Forces gameplay vid shows new 3D go-fast ’em up

Sonic the Hedgehog celebrates going fast but what if he simply left sooner, yeah? Here he is, expecting to be treated as a celebrity, lauded as a cool dude, and showered with chili dogs because he was only ten minutes late for work despite oversleeping after being up all night watching YouTube in bed on his phone. Today Sega finally shared an in-game peek at Sonic Forces [official site], their new 3D Sonic game which they say will actually be good, and it’s classic irresponsible Sonic all over again. The city is on fire, no one is to be seen, and oh! Here comes Sonic! An hour too late. Look:

Should we treat you as a hero, hedgehog? Sorry, my bunting burned along with my family and the rest of my life. Isn’t your job to protect us, not save what’s left of us?

I’m sorry. That wasn’t fair. I cannot imagine the pressure on you. I know that’s why you’re up all night.

And where even were Shadow and Rouge, the secret agents who should’ve warned us but were probably off playing grab-ass again?

I’m sorry. That’s not your fault either. Do you… do you want to talk? We can. Later. Preferably after you beat up the murderous robots currently scouring the streets for survivors.

Again, sorry. First round’s on me.

This story will probably play out in Sonic Forces when it arrives this Christmas season. It’s made by the team behind Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors. Not the Sonic Boom folks, no. As for Sonic Mania, the new 2D Sonic, that’s just been delayed into summer.

1. LTK says:

Jesus that’s loud. Plus it doesn’t strike me as very different from the other recent Sonic games. All spectacle, no substance.

2. Eleven says:

It looks a lot like Generations, which I liked enough to play to completion, but the question is what gimmick they’re going to add this time around. Maybe “Forces” refers to some kind of physics mechanics, or maybe army type “forces”?

3. smeaa mario says:

I genuinely enjoyed the entire “everything happens so fast that you barely have any control over it” fest that is Sonic when I was playing on my Genesis as a kid. The whole concept feels so foreign to me now. I wonder if there are others feeling the same way.

• jaronimoe says:

I was a Nintendo kid, and played Sonic on one of my Sega friend’s systems – and while it fascinated me as a kid, I never really completely “got it” – and to this day, I still don’t get it but it also doesn’t fascinate me anymore.. it just leaves me confused as to how to actually play it correctly, since it seems impossible to me.

particlese says:

Looks like a louder, busier Colors (I’ve not yet played Generations), which sounds tentatively good to me! Depends on what the rest of the music and levels are like. If it’s all whatever metal subgenre this is and an unrelenting too-busy-to-see-anything assault on the eyes, I’ll pass. But Colors had some good variety which included stuff like this, so I’m hopeful.

5. StakeBait says:

I think this video has been shown two weeks early because this is an april fools joke right?

In the event that it’s not, then what are Sonic Team doing!?
    Once again they fail to grasp that the precedent set with Sonic Adventure the 1st has ever been the wrong direction for the franchise.

Even after Sonic Boom I held a small vigil for the franchise with a candle smouldering gently for Mania.
    I think the torrent of turds exhibited here have quelled any hope or expectation henceforth, unto forever for Sonic team to know what to do with their once mascot.

Don Reba says:

Huh? Both Sonic Adventure games were excellent. Generations may be the best game in the franchise, and this video looks like the moments when those games shine.

• StakeBait says:

Sonic Adventure 1 is a weary mess that induces migraines and nausea. The developers adhered to no restrictions the Dreamcast hardware placed, and designed a game world with zero consistency within itself, gave sonic a voice, big the cat amongst a meagre selection of faults it has.

Sonic adventure is another mess of a game that people only played and still play because they like that song from the first level. Again the designers showed zero restraint to design with a total disregard for consistency. The fact the Knuckles levels alone made it to release exemplifies that Sonic Team have not a clue.

Generations is a piss poor attempt to showcase the highlights of Sonic’s ‘Career’: ‘Here’s a level from the 2D past you love so much and you’ll get to play a 2D and 3D version of all of these’
        They don’t tell you that the 2D efforts are poor with bad physics, momentum, dodgy collision detection.

The fact that the 3D sections almost work in Generations almost leads me to believe they sabotaged the side scrolling sections so the audience may infer that 2D Sonic ain’t all that. Also Generations boasts perhaps the worse bosses in the series.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Since when does RPS post softcore fanfic?

7. RichUncleSkeleton says:

Um, what the hell is up with that logo? Did they steal it from the flag of some forgotten USSR satellite state? Is Sonic going to be calling Tails “comrade” in this game?

8. Jackablade says:

Again with the Z axis, Sega? If you insist on keeping this up, I’ll confiscate not only your Z but your Y axis and you’ll have nothing but a line segment to work with.

9. RabidLime says:

that city planner should be fired. clearly catering to the hedgehog demographic.

10. Bombuzal says:

No, just no. This looks as dire as the 2D remake elsewhere on your website. What happened to the glorious flow that I remember from the original? Also, the music is terrible.

Anyway, there was a nanosecond of video that reminded me of Pilotwings 64, which was an awesome game.

ty internets and ttfn