The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (What am I?)

You can purchase me through Steam. I’m mentioned in ‘I, Claudius’. I’m an archer buff. I can be used as a broom. I’m half Greek, half Italian. I’m powerless against cows. I was studied here. I helped defend Scotland. I’m not used to flavour yoghurt.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer (defoxed by Gusdownup)

I was Fred Karno

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: beheading (defoxed by Gothnak)

a Cromwell tank (phuzz)
b Hans and Sophie Scholl (unacom)
c John Cleese (Artiforg, Stugle, Little_Crow)
d AirExplore 737 – Air Explore’s ICAO code is ‘AXE’ (Little_Crow)
e Handley Page Halifax (AFKAMC)
f RSAF roundel (Stugle)
g Gawain (mrpier)
h Raleigh Bicycle Company logo (Little_Crow)
i ketch (phlebas)
j The Maiden Stone (mrpier)
k Bloch MB.161 (phuzz)
l Serious Sam logo (Little_Crow)

From this site

1. Arioch_RN says:

The sign language at the top spells ELO.

The £1 note peeping out is the one with Isaac Newton on it

2. Joriath says:

United Nations building in New York in the bottom centre

3. Zogg says:

The aircraft is the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior

4. Zogg says:

The submarine in the dock looks like a Seawolf-class.

phuzz says:

Above the UN is an anatomical diagram of a human’s heart and lungs. This particular image is apparently from Kimber, Diana C. Anatomy and Physiology for Nurses (New York, NY: The Macmillan Company, 1907)

6. Matchstick says:

Hmmm following Little_Wolfs comment, Olivia Newton-John performed in the 1979 Music for UNICEF Concert for the UN’ International Year of the Child and was a Goodwill Ambassador to the United Nations Environment Programme.
    Also her 2006 “healing CD” Grace and Gratitude is described on her Wikipedia page as ‘the “heart” of [Walgreens] Body – Heart – Spirit Wellness Collection’

(Wow, google has already indexed this thread which is making googling for connections between some of the terms somewhat less productive :) )

7. Stugle says:

That warship is interesting, as it appears the center turret can’t fully traverse from one side of the ship to the other.

• mrpier says:

The battleship seems to be the SMS Brandenburg.

link to the-blueprints.com

• Rorschach617 says:

Bugger.

Spent a lot of time searching for ships with 6 barrels in 3 twin turrets. Never thought that one of the turrets would be a different calibre :(

• Stugle says:

That makes two of us. :(

Good catch, mrpier!

• mrpier says:

Pre-dreadnought :)

Although I was on the same track myself, until I saw an top down image of the SMS Wörth of the same class.

• Zogg says:

Apparently the Royal Navy called these ships the Whalers and the SkyWarriors nick-name was the Whale. No other whale links that I can see.

8. Stugle says:

That’s a Fender guitar, isn’t it? Sadly, I have no knowledge of music and Googling ‘Fender guitar with lots of knobs’ did not immediately return the desired result.

• Matchstick says:

Googling pictures of Semi-Acoustic guitars it looks more like a Gibson than a Fender to me…. (see Gibson ES-335 for example)

That knob just above the cable jack is weird though….

• Stugle says:

I just realized the Fender Telecaster Deluxe and Gibson Les Paul look very similar to my untrained eyes. I guess I’ll back away and try my luck at that warship some more. :)

• Matchstick says:

Right I think it may be a Gibson ES-345

• Little_Crow says:

Agreed, I think this is the photo used here
          link to es-335.org

• Matchstick says:

Notable users of the ES-345 were B.B. King, Freddie King, Bill Nelson, John McLaughlin, Jorma Kaukonen, Fred Frith, Porl Thompson of The Cure, Steve Howe and Elvin Bishop (and picture is of a Right-handed version

• phlebas says:

If it’s the ES-345 Memphis, the Memphis in Egypt is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• phlebas says:

The chap in the top left is Jørn Utzon, architect of Sydney Opera House.

9. Zogg says:

So John F Kennedy seems to crop up. He made one of his big speeches at the Brandenburg gate. Any other links

10. Wobin says:

Is the warm up Foxer related to the Hawthorn?

• Gusdownnup says:

Maybe, but I can’t see it myself. (I’m currently wavering between gorse and the black death.)

• Matchstick says:

That last bit may be a phrase that has never been said by a human before :)

• mrpier says:

I was thinking it’s just the word “Plague”. Studied at Porton Down, mentioned in I, Claudius, Plague Inc on steam. Can’t get the other clues to fit as well though.

• Gusdownnup says:

The Greek/Latin bit is fudgeable from plague’s etymology (possibly with ‘Bubonic’). The Broom is possibly a reference to John Gadbury’s line – ‘A broom in the hands of the Almighty’. Cattle are, I think, at least less susceptible than humans, and possibly unaffected. Everything else is a bit of a mess, but it’s my best guess so far. (Also, there’s a game in early access called ‘The Black Death’.)

• AbyssUK says:

cows are immune to smallpox due to cowpox, indeed it seems milk maids where found to also be immune, because they picked up something from the udders of cows.. cowpox was then used to make a vaccine.
        However cant find anything called smallpox cowpox on steam

11. JB says:

I’m still looking into it, but I *think* the desktop icon may be from Titan Quest, specifically the Anniversary Edition. Developed by Iron Lore, published by THQ Nordic.

e: Here we go, from my desktop – link to i.imgur.com – So I’d say that was the chap.

12. Matchstick says:

Just looking at the logo(?) behind the UN building…. doesn’t the bit on the left look quite a lot like the North West part of the African Continent ?

• JB says:

I hadn’t got round to the flag/logo just yet, but I’d agree, I was thinking much the same.

I think chores are going to claim my time for a while now so I will leave it in my fellow de-foxers’ more than capable hands!

• Panzerschwein says:

It’s flag of the Navajo Nation.

• JB says:

So it is. We were a little off, geographically =)

Good work, Panzerschwein!

• Joriath says:

Oh wow, so it is. I’d spent a good half hour googling any UN branch, agency or operation in Africa. As it’s Navajo, could the link be something to do with self-determination?

13. Panzerschwein says:

Chap in top left seems to be Jørn Utzon, designer of Sydney Opera House.

Olivia Newton-John has performed there.

EDIT: rats, too slow logging in :)

14. eeldvark says:

Cards in top right are from the board game Taj Mahal.

15. Gothnak says:

Coming in late trying to find the link again…

Not got much…

Sydney Opera House & Taj Mahal are Unesco World Heritage Sites.

Isaac ‘New’ton and Sydney was originally called ‘New Albion’

• Rorschach617 says:

Better than my original idea.

Isaac Newton quote. “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of GIANTS.”
      TITAN quest.
      A hope that SKY WARRIOR was a primitive demi-god for somebody somewhere.

• Gothnak says:

On the cover of Titan Quest is the Parthenon.. maybe…

bsplines says:

The Beethoven Frieze features the giant Typhoeus in a prominent position.
        The Navajo legends included giants. See e.g ‘Coyote and the Giant’

bsplines says:

Isaac Newton ‘s theological papers have been recognised by UNESCO as part of the ‘Memory of the World’.

• phlebas says:

Looks like the UNESCO link works:
      Sydney Opera House
      Taj Mahal
      Brandenburg Gate
      Gibson ES-345 MEMPHIS
      Klimt’s Beethoven Frieze, VIENNA
      Newton’s papers
      Jane Goodall (2006 medal)
      Jimmy Carter (1994 prizewinner)

• Gothnak says:

Chaco is partly in the Najavo Nation and is a UNESCO site.

Does seem vaguer than usual…?

• eeldvark says:

Brandenburger Tor does not seem to be an UNESCO World Heritage site. The connection might instead be this:

“Established in 1999, the international Master’s programme World Heritage Studies at Brandenburg University of Technology in Cottbus is the first graduate programme in the world to design its curriculum around the UNESCO Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage.”

Link to program description

• phlebas says:

That could be it! And the frieze connection could also be that Beethoven’s 9th was recognized as a UNESCO cultural heritage treasure.

I’m still struggling to fit the Skywarrior, ELO or the heart diagram, though.

• Joriath says:

I was going to say UNESCO is one of the organs of the UN system, but only the GA, ECOSOC, the Security Council, the Trusteeship Council, the ICJ, and the Secretariat are considered as such.

16. Arioch_RN says:

The coin in the lower right is based on Gustav Klimt’s The Beethoven Frieze.

17. phlebas says:

The silhouettes form the logo of the Jane Goodall Institute (fronted by UNESCO medal recipient Jane Goodall).

18. Tim Stone says:

Roman’s willing to accept the UNESCO link (though the theme he had in mind is quite different) but has scrawled medium-sized red crosses next to ‘plague’, ‘smallpox’ and ‘hawthorn’.

• Gothnak says:

Bah, you can’t just tell me it’s wrong and you’ll accept the wrong answer!

Ok, How about the right answer instead? (Do I get my name twice ;))

The Voyager Golden Record (all are on it):

Jimmy Carter’s letter,
      The Brandenburg Concertos were sent,
      A page from Newton’s System of the World,
      Whale Voice,
      Navajo Chanting,

I also assume that someone plays a Gibson on one of the songs on it.

Phew, 3 in a row. :)

• phlebas says:

The golden record controversially included Johnny B Goode, played by Chuck Berry (RIP) on a guitar looking much like that one:
        link to guitarworld.com

(Actually on the record he played an ES-350T which doesn’t have the exciting extra knob, but he also played an ES-345 as shown in the picture at the top of the page)

Well re-de-foxed!

• Gothnak says:

Assumed it would be Chuck, but tbh, after working out the link and finding everything else was right, i’d had enough of searching ;).

• phlebas says:

Titan quest: Voyager 1 had a close encounter with Saturn’s largest moon, Titan.