DotEmu closing its own online store

The retromancers of DotEmu are closing down their own online store, they announced yesterday. Competition is fierce, they say, and these days they’re more into developing and publishing games anyway. They’ve been selling their games through other stores (and on consoles) for years too. Folks who’ve bought games from the DotEmu store have until June 1st to download them, before they vanish forever. Chop chop!

The store launched in April 2010. DotEmu say they made the decision to close it “with a heavy heart”.

“Unfortunately, there are more and more companies that sell games on the online market, the competition is fiercer than it used to be. On the other side, it’s been now a few years that we’re focusing on the development/publishing of console and mobile games instead of distribution. This is the reason why we, DotEmu, have decided to shut the store down.”

The DotEmu store sold games DRM-free so the games themselves shouldn’t be affected by this closing but customers will no longer be able to download them after June 1st. Time to download all the installers and stash ’em away safely.

DotEmu still sounds like a Rod Hull fansite. Dot Emu Dot Com.

1. KDR_11k says:

Unfortunately there are some things they haven’t added to other stores yet, e.g. the Irem Arcade collection (which is the only thing I bought from there).

2. Janichsan says:

DotEmu had an online store? o_O

• Baines says:

I’m surprised by both the existence of the store and the description that DotEmu developed games.

I only know the name for being one of several companies responsible for lazy and sometimes questionable emulation jobs. Like the NeoGeo PC ports, where they simply licensed someone else’s outdated and flawed NeoGeo emulator. Or their rather buggy PC release of Raiden Legacy.

• clippa says:

Yeah, their name is a seal of bad quality. They’re like the anti-M2 :D

3. Sin Vega says:

All I know about them is that they were (and possibly still are) the only place selling Hardwar. I hope someone else picks that one up, it’s a real lost gem that deserves a legacy.

4. ButteringSundays says:

Well I’ll be!

5. Barts says:

I am forever in their debt for comprehensive Silmarils Collection. I haven’t seen it anywhere else, unfortunately.