WH40K: Eternal Crusade launches free version

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade [official site] did not arrive as the PlanetSide-y peristent open-world war MMO once envisioned but, if you are still curious about the game it actually is, you might fancy the free version that’s now live. I mean, if you’re reading RPS, statistically you do already have an increased chance of wanting to roll into battle with da boyz. And while the original plan was to only let free players be cannon fodder for the Ork waaagh! machine, this here version offers all factions and most classes.

You can nab it on Steam.

The devs explain that the free version of Eternal Crusade lets players lark about with all four factions and four of the five classes, excluding only the Air Assault. Freebo character progression comes at a third of the regular speed, mind. If freefolks want the full version, they can either pay the regular $20/£15 or buy $20 of the in-game virtuacurrency.

Given the change to pricing, folks who previously bought it in any way will get some gifts. Along with $20 of that virtuacash, they’re getting a bonus copy than can give to a chum or flog on the Steam Market.

I did dig the original plan of letting free players only be Ork Boyz, five of which would be roughly equivalent to one single Space Marine. They wanted a proper Ork horde, its ranks swelling with non-paying players. But this could only have worked in the huge MMORPG that Eternal Crusade was originally meant to be, the one gabbing about “truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.” I understand why that game wasn’t made — it’d be a huge task, technically and financially — but ah, it’s still a shame. (If you’re curious, MMORPG.com got way more into the game that could have been.)

If you’ve been Crusading Eternally, reader dear, would you recommend folks give this free version a crack? Yeah yeah, it’s not the 40K PlanetSide we dreamed of, but how’s the game it actually is?

From this site

1. Koshelkin says:

I think it’s a very decent WH40k game. A good lobby shooter. Feels and plays like a Warhammer game.

2. Christo4 says:

They should’ve done this from the beginning tbh, or at least something similar, now the hype has pretty much died imo.

3. Cheekyfeeff says:

hey if your signing up please use my referral code when you do, we both then get RTC (ingame cash for cosmetics) and you dont have to worry about connecting with me its just a both of us benefit scenario :)

EC-4S0M93GD4W8IT

4. tjohnfranklin says:

I’ve been playing this for a little while and wrote up an article about it on another site:

link to outermode.com

Now that it’s free to play I recommend at least trying it. When I reviewed it the game had a few problems that were fixed in a patch a couple of days after the article went up, and frankly free to play feels like a fine place for the game. I still have trouble saying that it’s an objectively great game – but I’ve had more fun with it than any multiplayer game in my memory.

Tutorial is rubbish though.

5. HumpX says:

Plays like Space Marine (the game) with extensive maps, vehicles and such. Ive also heard it compared to Planetside in terms of gameplay. Just hopped on and played the tutorial mode (which I definitely agree is rubbish). Performance is meh.

It seems to have tons of potential but Im not sure Id go for the premium account just yet.

6. ceriphim says:

Holy shit not getting off to a great start. Downloaded the game, signed up for account, waited for it to load… waiting… waiting…

Tried multiple times to load it, from the .exe, from Steam, changing settings… Can’t get past the loading diamond and eventually a timeout. Now it doesn’t even get to the loading screen before “We’re experiencing issues at the moment, we’ll be back soon” message.

Sadly, I am 100% not surprised it’s a shitshow.

• Jakaze says:

They use Amazon servers, and they’re still adjusting after their security leak.

7. BaronKreight says:

Not a bad game. It has its issues but it can be fun.

8. racccoon says:

I tell ya! STEAM SUCKS! it took me ages to get that stupid neirrrrRRRR game yesterday, its not a useful tool it a problematic one for the PC! its a blatant monopoly, a parasite for PC gaming and installations!