What are we all playing this weekend?

Introductions are for people who remember them, not those who realise an hour later that they forgot and have to whack one in.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m finishing Nier: Automata, which involves finishing Nier: Automata (as I already have) and then continuing to play Nier: Automata because the end is not the end. It’s a work thing, because I’m writing the review, but this is one of those occasions when work is a clear pleasure. Odd, consistently interesting, and delightfully unpredictable, Automata seems like a very good thing indeed.
Alec: I am playing GOING ON HOLIDAY, although the concept of ‘holiday’ is radically redefined by the fact that I will by accompanied on this trip by my three-year-old child. Should a fortuitous nap occur on the plane, I have an old iPad equipped with the newly tabletised Sunless Sea.
Alice: Ah, jeez. Get my Isaac dailies in, natch. Finish Night in the Woods? Explore snowy ’70s Canada in Kona? Mash robots and ride moose in Nier: Automata? Pow pow bang bang in Furious Angels? Cosmic Express, Infra, the end of Oikospiel… I don’t know, chummos. Video games!
Brendan: I’m playing nothing this weekend because I am going to Nicaragua. By the time you read this I will be elbow deep in a St Patrick’s Day hangover, sitting at some Soda in Managua wearing sunglasses and shorts and a deep frown, eating rice and beans as slowly as possible and trying desperately not to vom. Pray for me.
Graham: I will be spending this weekend partly on a plane, flying north to visit family for the first time with my kid in tow. It’s not our first time flying with the nipper and so I am resigned now to the possibility of ear pressure cries, to the impossibility of nap schedules, and – since I live on an island – the percentage chance that fog will stop us from coming home and trap us in Southampton.
John: This weekend I will be playing Mass Effect Andromeda, and only Mass Effect Andromeda, as I have been every waking hour this week, because it is 329020972 hours long.

I will be WISHING I were playing Nier, and the beta version of Jim’s new one, Tolva.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “Going into town to see if the orange jumper I saw online is the right kind of orange and maybe owning a new orange jumper if it is.” I might also fit in a few rounds of “Reading a book I picked up called Other Minds: The Octopus And The Evolution Of Intelligent Life”. Punctuating this I have some rather more-ish word games on my mobile telephone and Breath of the Wild awaiting me in the living room.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. Ragnar says:

Reading about Nier’s performance problems, I will instead be playing Metal Gear Solid Revengeance.

Which seems to have its own performance problems. :(

2. ansionnach says:

Played SplitWolf in 3-player co-op. Had enjoyed the new Wolfenstein games that I played over the last week but they really go nowhere both gameplay and narrative-wise after showing early promise. Really didn’t like how they seem to be trying to challenge you with the development of one of the central characters without giving you a choice to tell them to take a hike. The 1981 Apple II Castle Wolfenstein is still the best, and most intelligent of the Wolfenstein games by a long way. No nonsense, just gameplay… and waiting for crates to be opened.

Have also been playing Doom, which I’m enjoying. Would be nice to save where I like so I don’t have to repeat exploration bits when I die. Not a huge fan of the consolisation (how the combat is broken into digestible chunks), but they have done a reasonably good job at mixing the old with the seemingly unavoidable new. Was never a big fan of the original Doom games. Preferred Wolfenstein, but never really got into FPS games in a big way until I played Duke3d, Dark Forces, Quake, Jedi Knight, Quake III, Counter-Strike 1.5 and… maybe they stopped making good ones then! Doom seems good, anyway. Better than the originals, except in co-op. That was really good fun, even over a dodgy serial port direct connection that kept dropping.

Might continue my co-op game of Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark. I only ever play as humans but since elves have certain advantages when it comes to Rogue/Wizard I thought I’d take those and name the character “Human” just so everyone knows.

3. sege says:

I hung out with my nephew for a few hours so watched him playing Rocket League (Too depressing to play him, he kicks my arse!) then he watched and provided tactical support (pointing to the screen telling me what to do) while I played Sanctus Reach. Haven’t noticed much difference with latest patch to the AI. But I’m only on the intermediate campaign, hopefully there will be more challenge on the advanced one.

4. welverin says:

I finished Tearaway Unfolded, then started Killzone Shadow Fall and, but don’t think it’s actiony enough for what I want right now. So, ultimately I rather doubt actually play much of anything until Mass Effect Andromeda comes out.

5. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Played quite a bit of The Witness, got it off Humble Monthly, which I am trying out. I am extremely happy I got it, even if I just wandered around the island listening to audio logs it would be still be good, it’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve played in my life and without being a peformance hog. Weirdly enough, I find some puzzles very easy, which I didn’t think would happen, some are awful for me though and I freely admit that after giving it a big ol’ try after I fail two or three times, I just look up a solution. Yeah, sue me. I’m the guy whom it took 9 hours to beat Portal, not a big thinker. Still loving it, though I don’t know whether I agree with the kind of “science over philosophy and art” agenda that some of the videos and audio logs seem to be pushing.

I also bought Inside off the GOG sale and so far it is everything I had hoped LIMBO would be and wasn’t. Awesome art direction, creeping sense of unease and wrongness, especially when I felt queasy using chicks to get a bale of hay down and then it only grew when I used SPOILERS pigs’ dead bodies and zombified people SPOILERS to reach my goal. THIS is actual non-verbal storytelling and though I’m usually very receptive to supposed subtlety in presentation, I really did feel LIMBO’s symbolism was empty. Not helped by the somewhat trolly puzzle design i.e. “You see that big button? Don’t step on it. PSYCH! You weren’t supposed to step on the grass next to it, actually. Now see that other one. HAHA GOT YOU AGAIN, IT WAS THE BUTTON THIS TIME!” Something I don’t see as much of in Inside.

• KenTWOu says:

It’s not as obvious as you think, because other (v)logs are pushing a completely opposite agenda.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

That’s cool, I’m only 4 lasers, 5 audio logs and 2 videos in so I’m not saying I’m completely sure of what it’s trying to do.

Big Dunc says:

I might get an hour or so of This War of Mine or Steamworld Heist this morning when my wife goes over to visit the in laws and takes our three children with her.

7. buttermancan says:

I’ve mostly been playing the original Dos version of Prince of Persia. It was one of the first games I played as a youngster and to this day it stands out as a classic to me. I think it was the first game to really grab my attention and show me that stories however simple they are can be exciting through the medium of videogames. Above all else the animation for the time blew me away as it looked like a realistic representation of Human movement. I have also dabbled in the versions for other platforms such as the megadrive and snes versions but the dos one….even though graphically simpler still looks better..somehow the animation is better but can’t quite place my finger as to why that is

• ansionnach says:

It is a classic game that does everything it needed to do well. The animation is better in the DOS version because it simply is better. The SNES version lengthened some of the levels and added several new ones but the developers who added them clearly didn’t get Prince of Persia and what they added took away from the game massively. The more colourful graphics could be gaudy and cluttered. What did get Prince of Persia was the sequel, The Shadow and the Flame. It’s a worthy challenge for anyone. I couldn’t finish that one as a young teenager but succeeded when I was in my early twenties.

The original game, while good, is very easy once you get into it. My dad used to complete it with with about 19 minutes left (or in 19 minutes?). There are probably much faster speed runs now, of course.

8. geldonyetich says:

If EA didn’t erect a trial wall, I would still be playing Mass Effect Andromeda. Instead I will play Farming Simulator and Breath of the Wild. But probably mostly what the nephew makes his uncle play.

Comment on this story