Toukiden 2 brings more monster-hunting to PC

Omega Force are back with more Monster Hunter-ish action in Toukiden 2 [official site], released today. It’s an open-world hack ‘n’ slash action-RPG set in a Japanese medieval fantasy world, where players need to roam around around murdering giant demons by hacking off bodyparts. It’s the small pleasures in life. Here, have a peek in this trailer:

For those who’d rather see action, Koei Tecmo have whipped together short weapon showcase gameplay videos for the chain whip, sword and shield, knives, sword, spear, rifle, and naginata.

Toukiden is out on Windows through Steam for £44.99/53,99€/$53.99, which includes a 10% launch discount for the first week. Five small bits of DLC will be free to folks who nab it within the first month. The first Toukiden’s PC port was a bit wonky and this release is so fresh there aren’t enough impressions out there for me to relay whether this is much better.

I have heard good things about the first Toukiden but, right now, it’s the open-world hack ‘n’ slash action of Nier: Automata that has my heart. Toukiden 2 does have online co-op for up to four monster hunters, mind, and co-op counts for a lot.

1. KDR_11k says:

I found Toukiden 1 fairly easy compared to Monster Hunter, the only challenge was destroying all the body parts before the monster’s total HP was drained. Dunno if it was the dual knives style (“just keep bouncing on the enemy until it dies, barely get hit”) but I certainly didn’t feel the need to fight as hard as I had to in MH and I don’t recall failing any missions.

Also doesn’t help that the game front-loaded a lot of missions with the same three monsters over and over before finally introducing some new ones.

Edski says:

So not very Monster Hunterish then? I crave a PC MH, or a Switch version. I’d be all over the switch if it had MH.

• falcon2001 says:

It’s quite monster hunterish. Check out my other bigger comment for more details. It’s not perfect, but I do like it.

Edski says:

Thanks for your appraisal falcon. I reckon I’ll be giving this a try.

• UncleLou says:

I hope the only reason there is no annoucnement yet is that they give MH a proper overhaul. They should just use the brilliant Zelda: BoTW map and plonk their monsters in there, even the combat system is halfway in place in Zelda. :)

Edski says:

I hope you’re right Lou. MH would sell me the console, because MH.

2. Sian says:

Maybe when Koei manage to make a decent port with 60 fps and all that, but until then, I think I’ll wait for that other Monster Hunter-y game that was recently featured on this site.

3. falcon2001 says:

Some basic details:

60 FPS, up to 1080p (past that seems to scale weirdly, on my 21:9 monitor it refuses to let the GPU or screen properly resize on fullscreen). Some folks are reporting crashes, I haven’t run into any.

Gameplay is more open world than previous Monhun-alikes. There are missions to go kill a thing that teleport you to an arena but there’s also quests to go ‘wander around and murder something in an open world’ and all the main story stuff has been there too. It’s kind of refreshing.

It’s definitely a monster hunter-alike; late game Toukiden Kiwami got fairly difficult but otherwise the difficulty is much lower than MH. I find the weapons to be pretty varied and have a large number of moves, using sword+shield right now which kind of plays like Charge Blade in MH.

I like the Mitama system – you essentially get slots to equip heroes of ancient past that give you abilities – they level up and there’s quite a bit of fiddling – there’s many types of mitama who give you different active abilities in combat (no potions/etc in this game) as well as passive abilities; and now you have an offense and defense slot as well.

In short: it’s not perfect but I quite like it and given Capcom’s reluctance to handle MH correctly this is what we’re doing. It’s certainly more fun than the chinese MH MMO was, even if I have to play it in windowed mode.

Edski says:

Useful review falcon2001.

• Sian says:

Oh, they managed 60 fps this time? Good, they’re catching on. Shame about the resolution, though, as I prefer 16:10, and I’m sure the 4k crowd isn’t pleased either.

• Ragnar says:

Thanks for the info!

Have you played God Eater? If so, how does that compare to MH and Toukiden?

• falcon2001 says:

I found that God Eater was much more of a straight MH clone than T2. God Eater has much simpler areas/etc than Monster Hunter and then a much more complicated bullet system, and a fairly lackluster story in my opinion. All in all it wasn’t bad but it didn’t keep my interest.

Toukiden has a fairly interesting story (time travelling ancient japanese heroes, demons, and the main character being adrift) and a robust moveset and customization setup. The writing isn’t amazing but it’s pretty decent and I found that it does a good job of setting up the story.

Also I found that the animations in Toukiden are way better than GE2.

4. falcon2001 says:

Other stuff I found:

You eventually unlock a gauntlet mode where you just kill Oni after Oni with very little downtime between. That’s pretty fun.

There are missions – which teleport you to a location and you kill stuff, very standard MH-fare – and then there’s open world quests. All the story missions so far are in the open world.

There’s some fast travel but it’s mostly ‘from town to a minimal number of starting points’ and ‘from various places back to town’.

Open world has a bunch of quests just hanging out where you talk to people and look for stuff or gather things or kill stuff. If the core gameplay wasn’t compelling it’d be boring but so far it’s pretty fun and I’m up for murdering Oni. Given that MH games are generally just ‘go murder stuff and make weapons’ I don’t find this to be a problem.

Stuff dies very fast, especially the little oni, but I’ve run into a few monsters that have been mildly difficult – the big troll/goblin Oni and the snake/snail lady both have the capacity to actually kill me. Noteworthy that I’ve been playing MH-alikes since Portable 2nd so I’m not super surprised that I find the game easy.

5. Wowbagger says:

I didn’t know this was due to release already! Oddly there isn’t a PC demo but if you have a PS4 there is one available. I’m going to give it a go tonight and then purchase on PC if I like it.