Arma 3 details plans for Jets, Malden, Tanks, and more

Bohemia’s military sim Arma 3 [official site] is three years old but goodness me, it’s not slowing down. Bohemia have laid out their content plans for the next year, which include a free remake of Operation Flashpoint’s island of Malden, and paid DLC covering new jets, new gear, new missions, and so on, then creeping into early 2018 we’ll see more tanks rolling out. Busy year! A new video dev diary goes over the goods:

So! May will bring the Jets DLC, packing three fighter jets and a new combat drone. A free update launching alongside will improve a lot of game systems related to jets. It’ll cost £8.99/9,99€/$11.99.

Come June 22nd, the 16th birthday of Operation Flashpoint (Arma’s dad), players will get to play in “a re-imagination” of OpF’s island of Malden. The new Combat Patrol cooperative mode is due then too.

A touch later, some time from July to September, Bohemia will launch a DLC codenamed ‘Orange’. They say it’ll add “new vehicles, new clothing and gear, new decorative objects, a mini-campaign, Showcase and Challenge scenarios, and more.” This won’t be a massive add-on, sitting somewhere between the Karts and Helicopters DLCs. This’ll be £4.49/4,99€/$5.99.

Singleplayer “tactical operations” scenarios will arrive in the Tact-Ops DLC towards the end of the year, due some time from October to the end of December.

Then moving into 2018, the Tanks DLC is due by the end of March with three new tanks are coming. This’ll cost cost £8.99/9,99€/$11.99 too. Bohemia also plan to launch an update improving the underlying systems of tracked and armoured vehicles.

JET!

1. Clavus says:

Doing weekly missions with a group of people never seems to get old in this game. I’m glad it carved out its own space, allowing Bohemia to keep adding stuff.

• Stellar Duck says:

I’m forever sad that I got out of the habit of weekly missions with a steady group.

All the kids seem to play boring game modes on servers with strangers and I’m appalled at the savagery. Much rather the weekly session of shenanigans, incompetent team leads and amusing scenarios.

Don Reba says:

Can’t believe they used such low-res textures on that plane.

3. SuicideKing says:

Probably worth mentioning that all the upcoming DLCs are available as a bundle on Steam and the BI Store for ~23 Euros.

Bohemia’s military sim Arma 3 [official site] is three years old

Four years now since the Alpha started in Early Access.

4. vahnn says:

I can’t get enough of good ol’King of the Hill, especially now that I’m finally learning to fly (and land) helicopters decently. And rounding up a few buddies for Capture the Flag is great fun. And I also still enjoy some Breaking Point now and again.

5. snv says:

Not slowing down? I wish it would speed up. Even the promotional video is choppy with just those few planes doing a flyby having only empty sky as a backdrop.

6. WaytoomanyUIDs says:

So not Malden, the place in Essex where the salt comes from? I’m vaguely disappointed.

7. Kollega says:

Can someone tell me how hard it is to play Chernarus/similar Eastern-European maps in ArmA III? I really dislike the base-game’s Greek island maps, and the Tanoa map looks a bit better… but overall, I’m wondering about the map variety for the game, with mods or whatever.

Not that I’ll be getting it either way, because I don’t actually have any friends who we could make a squad with. This is why I desperately want a spiritual successor to Mercenaries – a more mainstream take on the tacticool goodness of ArmA, one a bit easier to get into. Especially if it had stuff like a dynamic territory control mode for you and your co-op chums, rather than just a one-time singleplayer campaign. I don’t really know if even ArmA III has such a mode – and such gameplay is something that I’m pretty starved for.

• SuicideKing says:

It’s pretty easy, CUP mod pack ports old Arma 2 (and i think even older) content, including maps, to A3. IFA3 brings Iron Front maps, and there are a lot of other maps available.

8. Hunchback says:

Ah, great timing! I was just looking at the Arma Steam page the other day, pondering if i should get it… I need some info:

I am a long time Battlefield fan, since BF2, but “thanks” to EAs ridiculous DLC plans i’ve skipped the last 2 or 3 (not sure how many there are now) iterations of the game. I refuse to pay ~120 bucks for a single game.
    Problem is i REALLY miss the action of those games, having huge teams, shit flying everywhere, a changeable terrain…

So, i’ve never played Arma for no particular reason other than not having a good enough pc when it came out. I really don’t understand what ARMA is, is it Coop vs AI, doing “missions”? Is it PvP? If so, what kind of PvP ? How does it all work? Is it still getting, are there people playing it?

• SuicideKing says:

Arma is a military themed sandbox. So it’s everything you’ve mentioned lol.

Broadly, you have:
      1. Public PvP servers, with various official and unofficial game modes. Some involve completing objectives, some are survival modes, some are king of the hill type things, etc.

2. Small groups of people (2-15) who play small missions together, usually coop against AI

3. Organised communities that like to play tactically and with some degree of roleplay to have fun. These are groups of 15-100(+) people. Can be open, semi-public, or closed. Coop, PvP, both. The resident RPS Arma community falls into this category.

4. “Milsim” communities that play like they’re in the military and take themselves Very Seriously.

5. single players – play the campaign or showcase missions, or just much about the editor, or play stuff from the Steam Workshop, etc.

6. modding community, some of which probably spend more time making mods than actually playing the game :D

Hope that helped.

EDIT: Yeah, community is quite healthy and growing (check steam stats, or steamspy data for details).

• Hunchback says:

Hey SuicideKing, thanks for the lengthy reply!

A few more questions then, if you don’t mind:

1. How does a game progress? Are there “rounds” set with a timer or score or some objective that make the game reset, advance etc… or is it like an MMO server that’s always on ?

2. I see there’s quite some DLCs as well… does this split the community like in BF of groups of people who have this-and-that map and others who don’t ?

3. From what you say i take it it’s entirely dedicated-servers based and not any of those consoley shite systems that match a bunch of people and that’s it?

4. I used to exclusively play HC servers on BF, so i am used to no huds, 1-shot-usually-kills-you, gritty experience. However i dislike campy gameplay style and maps/modes that encourage players to be static and camp a spot forever. What’s the gameplay experience like in ARMA in these lines?

• wengart says:

1. Rounds are very free form. They can be competitive with actual win conditions or you might just play till everyone is mostly dead. The communities are so diverse that its hard to say for sure what you will experience.

2. No,other than their Apex expansion, but Apex is more inline with a classic expansion release rather than DLC.

3. Yes

4. Arma generally tends toward slower gameplay because of the lethality. Running around very obviously is bad for your health so you want to move slowly and take your time, but you also don’t want to lay down and never move because players have a lot more options to deal with you.

For example, a .50 cal HMG in arma can shoot through a house.

Sidenote: I would check out Squad link to store.steampowered.com

Its a spiritual successor to the Battlefield 2 mod Project Reality. Might be more inline with what you want.

• Hunchback says:

Thanks for the info :)

I saw Squad, looks very nice but it’s quite expensive for now.
            I was eyeing ARMA since it’s quite cheap nowadays. :)

• zoog85 says:

I also still remember I never understood what Arma was. You have to think about it not as one thing or one experience. People can create anything, script new game modes, script new features, build new games on top of Arma, basically anything is possible and is done as well (either by mods or player/community created scripts in missions). So there is no such thing as what you expect in “regular” games (a specific set of rules in which game modes etc take place), really anything can and is created in Arma. It really is a Platform, where anyone can expand upon what is possible and anyone can use these new things if you wish to do so. It’s limits less not bound by rules. Hopefully this helps lol?

• SuicideKing says:

I think others have covered this pretty well, but to add:

2. Bohemia Interactive has a pretty cool DLC policy –
          a) Everyone gets platform updates
          b) Everyone can try content without purchase, except maps i.e. gear, weapons and vehicles are downloaded for everyone.
          c) You can try out the content in the game’s “virtual arsenal”, unrestricted.
          d) You can also spawn with DLC gear, or inside DLC wepons, via the editor or scripts. However, you will see periodic overlay ads (a nag screen) as long as you have a DLC item equipped, or in a DLC vehicle.
          e) Because of (d), the community doesn’t get split along those lines, since you can spawn with DLC gear in multiplayer too.
          f) However, you can’t pick up or equip dropped DLC items, or board the crew positions of DLC vehicles. You can board the vehicles in a passenger slot though, so again, doesn’t split the community.
          g) Finally, as i mentioned earlier, maps are a hard requirement to play missions/scenarios specific to those maps. If you’re playing with Folk ARPS for example, and we play a mission on Tanoa (Apex expansion map) then the server will kick you automatically when a Tanoa mission is selected. However, this doesn’t prevent you from playing vanilla map missions.

Finally, there’s only one paid map so far (and likely ever), which is a part of Apex. Base game has two maps, and there’s another free one coming in June.

4. As mentioned by others this varies considerably, in Folk ARPS however our missions are objective based so there’s always a reason to push forward. PvP missions tend to be attack/defend so defenders do camp, but in Arma that’s a valid and sensible approach.

The only BF game i played was BF3, and Arma’s tone is very different, at least in community play.

Another community example: link to youtube.com

9. Shiloh says:

Very good, looking forward to the Malden map – had a lot of fun with Flashpoint, I’ll keep an eye out for the DLC.

• Thirith says:

It’s a shame they’re using the Altis/Stratis assets, though, as for me a large part of the appeal of the earlier maps isn’t so much the topography as the look and feel they have; with mediterranean architecture and vegetation, I expect Malden to feel more like a sister island to Altis and Stratis. In that respect, I think I might prefer the CUP versions of all the older maps (which are also free and great).

10. Doubler says:

Me and some friends regularly run various Dynamic Recon Ops. Wonder how the Combat Patrol will compare.

• Thirith says:

How varied are the missions generated by Dynamic Recon Ops? I’m just starting A3 sessions with a small groups (we’re mostly new to the game), and DRO seems like a good solution in the absence of the hundreds of vetted missions available for Arma 2/Operation Arrowhead.

Any other missions/scenarios you can recommend for small groups? I’ve heard good things about Whole Lotta Altis, but I’m not sure if the coop version is as up to date as the SP one.