Battalion 1944 is bringing the fight to EGX Rezzed

Battalion 1944 [official site] managed to get onto my good side within seconds of poring over the website for details. It does that by dispensing with buffs and unlocks, in an attempt to deliver a purely skill-based multiplayer shooter. It looks cracking too, with tight maps based on actual WWII locations. The proof, as ever, will be in the pudding though, and you’ll be able to taste that pudding at Rezzed next week. Square Enix Collective will be bringing the game and its developers, Bulkhead Interactive, to the show where you’ll be able to join in 4v4 matches.

I’ll be playing beforehand and will let you know how that works out next Thursday, both on the site and in person should you see me at Rezzed.

The last multiplayer first-person thing that I enjoyed was Rainbow Six: Siege, and I suspect if I had time to spare, I’d still be enjoying it. I miss the days when I could sink an evening into a deathmatch with a few chums though, and my brief attempts to get into the multiplayer scene on most modern shooters have been disheartening. I think that’s at least partly because I feel like I’ve been left behind before I start, knowing I’ll never have time to unlock all the good stuff. Give me a gun and a level playing field and I’ll…well, I’ll still lose, but at least I’ll lose on my own terms.

Although it’s a year old now, the announcement trailer below gives a good idea of what to expect. There’ll more footage out in the wild soon.

With this and Insurgency: Sandstorm, 2017 might be the year I actually fall back into old FPS habits. I’ll let you know next week, once I’ve had my pudding. In the meantime, tickets for Rezzed are still available (though Saturday is running low) and Battalion will be there all three days.

From this site

1. maxcolby says:

As always, gotta check out Darkest Hour: Europe ’44-’45. No “leveling up” to access everything. No stats that people worry about more than teamwork.

Small community, but still work playing(especially at the price point).
    Though, keeping that in mind, I am looking forward to Battalion1944.

• tigershuffle says:

racing in a clown car with a satchel charge in Red Orchestra was always fun.
      RO2/Rising Sun and its mods are still my preferred WW2 shenanigans.
      This looks interesting too

Dios says:

Yeah, don’t quite see what this offers over Rising Storm.

• Blacksilver65 says:

Agreed, Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm are the only WW2 shooters I’ll ever need!

• Antlia says:

How would someone proceed to play that game with that community then? Are there people on a server constantly or would you have to search for a specific gaming community? Asking cause I have fond memories of the game.

• Blacksilver65 says:

If you are referring to Darkest Hour, I play it from time to time and there is usually at least one sever with some people on it hosted by the 29th Infantry Division group (www.29th.org). On the weekends there is usually 1 to 2 servers full enough to have fun. It’s one of those games that’s old enough that anybody coming to join the battle is welcomed. It’s also updated frequently so I imagine new releases draw a crowd. Hope that helps.

2. joncoumes says:

Since Adam mentioned Insurgency, it might be the right place to remember that Day of Infamy, though still in early access, beats the hell out of everything since COD1 (and in terms of RO1/2 and Rising Sun, falls into the slightly-more-casual shooter camp).

3. Yega says:

Been waiting for this game since playing MOHAAS when I was a kid. I agree with Adam that most MP games these guys leave you behind before you even start and then work to unlock weapons and get bored with the grind.

Having a level playing field and relying on skill is what I want and looks like its what I’ll get :D