Warhammer Fantasy Battle going hack ‘n’ slashy

A hack ‘n’ slash adaptation of Warhammer Fantasy Battle is in development at Eko Software, the French studio known for their How to Survive action-RPGs. That’s about all I can tell you. Fantasy Battle, set in the Old World, multiple playable races, and that’s about it. Hacking and slashing through the grim dark future of Warhammer 40,000 was a lark in Relic Entertainment’s Space Marine — a perfectly average 7/10 action game to be celebrated, Alec will tell you — but what might this be? Heck, what would you want?

About all we know is this blurb from publisher Bigben Interactive’s announcement:

“The game takes place in the Old World, a dark and bloody continent devastated by the wars against Chaos. Dive into the heart of the Warhammer story, become a hero and battle to survive the desolation.”

Though one can pick a teensy detail out of the promise to announced “additional information on the story, key realms and geography, the platforms and playable races” shortly – that it has several playable races. That’s your lot.

Beyond that, I couldn’t tell you its name let alone when it might be released. I couldn’t show you concept art (that ↑ is just some old art) let alone a gameplay video.

So in the absence of interesting details, I ask: what would you want this to be? Dreaming about what Warhammer games could be is an endlessly entertaining disappointment.

1. Captain Narol says:

Playing a repurgator and hunting chaos adepts at the four corners of the Empire would make for a fun action game, something like an Assassin’s Creed where you would play the law side and have to investigate to identify the heretics and chaos corrupted before fighting them into extinction !

In a way, the incoming “Shadow of War” (which kinda explosed my hype meter despise my habitual lack of interest for action games) would also make much more sense in a setting like the Old World of Warhammer Fantasy than it does in Middle Earth…

2. NoImFartacus says:

Judging by their previous work, made by someone other than Eko software.

• frightlever says:

The original How To Survive game (I only played the first one) had a first rate tutorial for a pretty mediocre game.

• barelyhomosapien says:

Yeah, this. I hate to be so dismissive but those how to survive games are not great…

• Ghostwise says:

I’ll admit I wasn’t entirely convinced, though these were cheap games so expectations should be kept in check.

(On the other hand, they don’t answer their e-mails).

• cpt_freakout says:

They’re not great, but they’re not horrible either. They’re OK (mediocre fits the bill), so maybe, just maybe, they’ll manage to make a good game this time?

3. aircool says:

Give me another Shadow of Mordor, but playing as an Orc in The Old World.

• Throwback says:

Please no. That game was good for 10 hours and just plain average for the rest.

• Rizlar says:

You can convert enemy lieutenants by repeatedly bashing their head with a rock until they agree to do whatever you want.

4. Viral Frog says:

Kinda hard to be excited about this when we have Inquisitor Martyr to look forward to.

link to neocoregames.com

If this WH fantasy battles game was being developed by a studio that isn’t so bad at making ARPGs, it might be more exciting news.

5. poliovaccine says:

Gotta say, I just don’t get the endless appeal of Warhammer. I have some very intelligent friends, whose opinions and tastes I very much respect, who are into this world of senselessly clashing orcs and space marines, and all I can do to make sense of it is to think this must be their “football,” or “smoking weed,” or some other silly, indulgent, but otherwise harmless little vice that they don’t do instead. I can only imagine it’s on that level.

• Koshelkin says:

Both Warhammer Settings, The Old World and WH40k, have deep, gothic settings with a decade-old, well-written lore and a style you can’t find elsewhere. I have to admit on the outside it seems rather bland, a typical power fantasy, but on the inside it shows universe ridden with strife, decadence and corruption with a million facets.

An example are the Eldar: their history and slow decline as a species, their culture and personality have been worked out in great detail and make them much more than just “Space Elves”.

It’s really in the details and if you want to really understand what your friends are on about I’d suggest some of the more popular novels like Gaunt’s Ghost, The Horus Heresy or Gotrek&Felix.

• Buuurr says:

There really is no other way to answer this comment than this:

“Through hate, all things are possible.”
        -Malus Darkblade

• frightlever says:

Millions of people in the UK are into football or smoking weed, probably thousands are into Warhammer to the degree you’re talking about. It’s a niche pastime, like any other.

I’m not saying stop trying to understand why your friends like some things that you don’t, but accept you may not always be able to. Just don’t be dismissive. It’s because people are wired differently. Though, if their interests include hamsters and duct tape, you need to alert the authorities.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Like all good pulp entertainment, the cheesy exterior hides dark and baroque complexities. Also squigs. But are more pragmatic answer might be that your friends got attached to the neat little miniatures and the dice and the barrage templates and the polystyrene hills and the pots of congealed paint and the undercoat spray fumes.

• Crafty_Banana says:

I don’t want to be super defensive about this, but I find the ‘silly, indulgent, harmless little vice’ comment to be a weird stance to take in a comment on a blog about playing PC games. As hobbies, the level of craft some people put in to their miniatures are incrediable, and the games themselves involve careful planning and tactical decision-making.

As settings, they have the unevenness of all shared worlds, but at their best Warhammer and 40k hold up a darkly gothic mirror to reality.

There’s no particular reason you should be in to them, but I do think there’s good reason not to be condescending towards your friend’s interests.

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

r/iamverysmart

• Imperialist says:

The best way i can really sum up the appeal, is that it is so vast in scope, that there is something, somewhere in its 30 years of lore that can appeal to anyone.

Like big, heavily armored man-men, who literally exist to slaughter the enemies of mankind wholesale? We have 1000 chapters of incredibly diversely cultured Space Marines for you to identify with.

Like extremely dedicated, badass, clothed and armored female warriors that would consider it the very worst sin of flesh to wear a metal bikini, and purge aliens and heretics to their hearts content? We got Sisters of Battle in several varieties, all badass.

You like Elves, or Space Communists with slightly more plausible anime battlesuits? Do you like World War 1, or 2? Do you like big ships, bad ships, spikey ships, evil warped ships with tentacles straight out of a Lovecraft novel? Yeah. We got that.

Its such a unique combination of existing ideas, a few campy, a bunch ultra-serious, and all grim. Clearly not everybody will like Warhammer…but it is there with plenty to offer in case they want to give it a shot.

• poliovaccine says:

Am hardly being dismissive, only earnestly baffled, if anything because it seems to be a favorite amongst people whose tastes I otherwise share. To put it in perspective, I very much like harmless, indulgent little vices, and I totally smoke weed. But that’s just the thing – all of this depth and lore has been described to me by these same friends I’m talking about, but I just bounce right off the aesthetic, or something about it, no matter how deep it goes. To answer the comment about the broad scope of the content – that definitely is, broad I mean, but about the only thing out of that whole list that appeals to me is maybe the name “Lovecraft.” I get that the lore and detail go very deep indeed, and that’s part of what I mean by the “endless appeal.” I am just not built to comprehend it, which always confused me a little, cus I don’t mind seeing orcs or elves and I definitely love sci-fi and space. This is one of those things that a dozen and a half people who know me have told me I would love, and I’ve probably tried to get into the stuff about half as many times. I chalk it up to the aesthetics but that doesn’t even seem right. It’s kind of like how I also totally don’t get the appeal of Bioshock – even though I love art deco and I love SS2. I don’t mean to be condescending, only to express wonderment, because this is yet another instance where – in this case, not a friend but a games site – whose tastes I can otherwise tend to rely on, talks about Warhammer in a tone that simply takes it for granted you’re into it, obviously, like obviously you’re into Fallout or the Elder Scrolls. It always baffles me. But yeah, when I compare it to football or smoking weed, I’m hardly knocking it, rather trying to place it in a category – i.e. “things which many people passionately, cultishly love, but which totally mystify those others on the outside.”

6. Throwback says:

I’d like to be an individual in a unit on the battlefield. I know it will never happen, that’s just my dream.

7. Chiron says:

I just want a low on BIG DAMN ACTION slightly dirty low level RPG similar to a good WFRP campaign…

8. Michael Fogg says:

The world of WHF is one of sudden death and uncertainty. Doesn’t fit the ‘battle economics’ formula of your average h’n’s game.

9. BlazeMercurio says:

I personally would like to play as a vampire count.
    Even if it’s as simple as “press 1 to cast Invocation of Nehek”, and they don’t really demonstrate the disparity of strength between vampires and ordinary hero units, I’d like it.
    Plus, I want chase down some free range empire meat.