Frozen Synapse 2 strategises its way into the RPS Cave of Wonders at Rezzed

Frozen Synapse 2

This week we’ll be taking a closer look at what’s going to be in the RPS Cave of Wonders at Rezzed! Today our greedy, acquisitive gaze falls upon Frozen Synapse 2!

Frozen Synapse 2 [official site] is Mode 7’s follow-up to a title Adam has dubbed “one of the finest tactical games ever made” so no pressure! What we’ve seen so far has us excited, though:

The sequel looks to build on the excellent tactical combat of the original, which created tension and drama by having players plan their moves then watch them play out either triumphantly or disastrously. Added to this are new weapons and equipment, and entire procedural cities, their workings simulated through dynamic AI factions and emergent strategic possibilities.

However smart the squad-based combat might be, it’s those cities that are likely to be the stars. They’ll be home to heists, streetfights and all-out warfare.

The game will be out later this year but we will be giving it a nest in the RPS Cave of Wonders for the duration of Rezzed!

EGX Rezzed 2017 runs from 30 March – 1 April at the Tobacco Docks in London (nearest stations are Shadwell and Wapping). You can pick up Rezzed tickets here and don’t forget there’s also the RPS mixer in association with The Signal From Tolva which should be really a lovely and friendly gathering :)

1. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Probably the release I’m most excited about this year. When’s it meant to be out?

• subedii says:

TBA still, but sometime this year IIRC. At the moment they’re still in closed beta. If FS1 is anything to go by, the public beta (if there is one) could last a while. Then again, by this stage they’ve already got most of the core ideas for the game itself down, and FS2 is more about evolving and refining that formula, so who knows.

Personally I pretty much focussed on the multiplayer and barely touched the singleplayer campaign in the first game. It’s one o the few games where I don’t feel as if I’m playing the gameplay mechanics, but playing the opponent, actually trying to predict what their optimal and likely solutions are, and countermand them.

That said, it looks like they’re seriously developing a more over-arching and dynamic campaign for the SP game (drawing from stuff like X-Com and maybe Jagged Alliance), instead of just a linear series of missions, so it could still be intriguing.

They do weekly dev videos on the mode 7 games youtube channel, and it’s usually worth a look if you’re interested.

• AutonomyLost says:

Yours was a very informative response. Even though I didn’t ask the original question, I thank you for it.

• subedii says:

Haha, thanks. I guess like the OP, Frozen Synapse was one of my favourite games so I’m looking forward to its sequel.

There was something very pure about it. Once you knew them, the rules and design were simple, so it was all about predicting what your opponent was likely to do. And the game gave you the precise tools needed to simulate exactly what you think they might do.

The feeling when you hit “prime” and the enemy does everything you predicted, and you countermand every move, makes you feel like some kind of strategic genius mastermind.

When the enemy succeeds, you don’t feel like it was luck, but usually because you failed to anticipate what their (seemingly obvious, now that you can see them) moves were going to be.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Speaking as the OP I would like to second this! Very in depth response!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I played a lot of the SP and loved it, never did finish though (it was huge) there was a lot of variety to the levels and yes, all the procedural city elements for FS2 have me very excited, it’s a theme and a structure that really appeals. Underneath all that, of course, we have the amazing, tactical, turn based core game that works so well in MP.

• anon459 says:

You’ve eloquently explained why I love Frozen Synapse as well. I’m always looking for that feeling of playing against my opponent, instead of the game itself. Frozen Synapse is one of a handful of games that offers that satisfying brain-to-brain connection that you can’t really get anywhere but in video games.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Here, here! Very much looking forward to this – I assume I’ll be seeing some of you worthies in the RPS league once it coagulates…

2. Cross says:

I wonder if the game director will leave his crankiness at home this time. FS2 was my one negative experience at Rezzed last year, because i felt so unwelcomed by the people there.

• Wellzy4eva says:

When the game was demo’ed at PC Gamer Weekender, the guy there was really helpful and informative of the game.

It was being demo’ed with Tokyo 42.

• Omroth says:

I actually think I remember talking to you and indeed being pretty off – I’m sorry, I was very tired and my ability to be friendly had just disapeared.

Please come around again this year and talk to someone who isn’t me, or talk to me and accept my apology in person!

Ian

3. Spacewalk says:

Those are some great looking cities.