What are we all playing this weekend?

Ah, the first weekend of spring! March is almost over with too. Unless the proverb is lying, the weekend should be more lamb than lion. A wooly little lion, perhaps? Or a lamb with flesh-tearing teeth and skin-shredding claws. I think I’ll avoid the lambion, just to be safe.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m making a habit of playing PS4 games at the weekend. This week it’s Everything, which is coming to PC next month. Last night I was dust, then a shell, then a scorpion, then an elephant. I sang and danced and gathered all kinds of animals into a giant herd. We all danced and made lots of baby elephants and then I became a rock and felt sad as my herd dispersed, one zebra tumbling toward the horizon so fast I suspected it had hated the herd all along.

Then I saw my first tortoise and became it and made it sing for a while. It is my favourite thing in Everything. Which is my favourite screensaver ever. And that is a compliment.

Alec: [Alec is on holiday, which is of course code for: Alec has been fired -ed.]
Alice: I have a lot of games half-finished right now, ones I do want to continue, but I’m playing Nier: Automata and the rest can go to heck. I am certain I’m near to the/an end then will dash straight on into new game+ mode. Having learned a lot about what to do and not do, next time I’m going to be the best robot. After Normal difficulty for this first run, I’m bumping it up to Hard on the next. I hear enemies get new abilities as well as bigger numbers, which should be interesting.
Brendan: After playing 45 minutes of a stuttering Nier: Automata, I died to a giant robot and was flung back to the start. I don’t know if I have the will to go back and dig for the juicy caramel centre everyone keeps telling me about. I know there’s some daftness I have to figure out, but I just don’t want to do the shooty bits. Other than that, I’ve been given a certain slugcat to take care of, so I will probably be trying to push on in that. It is, um, difficult.
Graham: My copy of Zelda: Breath of the Wild arrived, but my Nintendo Switch has not. Therefore I’ve no idea what I’ll play this weekend. I’d spend it reading and re-reading the Zelda manual if it had one, but all I got was a tiny plastic cartridge in a giant plastic case. There’s even the little arms inside for holding a manual in position, but there is nothing within their embrace. Perhaps I’ll play catch with the box or practice balancing it on my nose.
John: I shall definitely be finding time to play the new telephonic Cube Escape, The Cave, from the Rusty Lake peeps – each new game expands the creepy-as-hell mythology in their peculiar series. I am also hoping to get some reviewing done of Beat Cop, that’s out next week. And if possible, I really want to find out why Adam and Alice are so excited about Nier.
Philippa: This weekend I will be embracing the aquatic with a trip to a local sea life centre followed by an oreo milkshake because I am living my best life. Around the edges I will be chipping away at Yooka-Laylee which I suspect will either make me feel very young or very old. Oh, and here’s a tip: next time you have a cream tea swap out the jam for lemon curd. It is amazing and zingy. AmaZINGy.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. hoho0482 says:

Still Zelda and 7 days to die for me. The two games share quite a few systems. Also need to get some time in x plane, practice for upcoming solo.

2. Jess says:

Not that this is even slightly related to the content but… does the face in the bottom left of the “this weekend” header sort of feel very Pip to anyone else?

zinzan says:

Well……. I’m not sure how…hmmmm….safe it is to agree with you – I mean Pip is very nice (by RPS staff standards of course), but …… :)

But Yes!

3. Nate Gallardo says:

Brendan, I had a similar NieR experience, except I also made the mistake of thinking I could sneak in a 20 minute peak after first installing it, meaning I played the first 20 minutes thrice, and the following 20 minutes twice..

That said, as suggested by others I put it on Easy to get through the first boss this morning, and it is super easy and a lot quicker, so definitely try that. It does immediately start presenting some worthwhile gems after that, and opens out a lot, so I’m looking forward to proceeding now..

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Which is strange to me because playing the game on normal I found it seemed impossible to die in that opening section to the point I assumed the game was programmed that way. They give you enough healing items and a auto-heal chip that despite not feeling like I was doing particularly well I had no trouble beating the opening. I know hard is going to kick my ass though, I use a tonne of healing items on my playthrough.

4. dangermouse76 says:

XCOM 2. I’m really enjoying it looks great, runs ok. I am a little confused on how the new world map works and where to place my priorities but that’s just me being stupid. And base building seems fairly similar to XCOM EU.

I thought I’d hate the timers but it is making me have move my troops out to their full move on some maps to get into position, and conversely making me more aware of setting up my kill zones. Really fun.

• aircool says:

Yeah, the timers are just fine. They took me out of my comfort zone at first, but at the same time, they gently pushed me in the direction of the way the game needs to be played.

I enjoyed it far more than the first one.

• Emperor Norton I says:

Best of luck! My tip with XCOM2, which I have given to many, is that there is no sin in playing your first game on the easiest difficulty level. XCOM2 is HARD, and playing on Easy allows you to learn the systems while succeeding and having fun. A second run through the game will still be fun — I did it, and loved it. You can always add the expansions the second time, or mods, or both.

5. ropeladder says:

Brigador. Which is very fun and manages to combine stealth with action and blowing shit up really well. But it takes so much patience to play on harder levels: you are very fragile and the lack of payout if you die without completing your run is basically nil.

Also, has anybody played 2Dark yet? Disappointed in the lack of coverage of that here. Maybe it’s bias against the French??

Andy_Panthro says:

I’ve got soooo many games to play, that instead I decided to re-install Jagged Alliance 2 with the latest version of 1.13.

Then today I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4).

I may have a problem.

7. Captain Narol says:

Got an invitation to the closed beta test of Total War Arena happening this week-end, so I’m gonna give it a serious try !

Also got back in Magic Online, as Magic Duels kindla reanimated my love for the game and they finally reintroduced SEALED LEAGUES in MTGO, which is my favorite mode of play !

In sealed leagues you only get a few boosters to make your deck and play with the cards you have, so you don’t have to buy any rare/mythic additional cards and follow the metagame of uber-netdecking to be competitive contrary to constructed play, everyone is on the same starting ground having to improvise with what he got, money/time doesn’t give you any advantage.

If there is some time left, I still have an Aztec invasion of Egypt to crush in my never-ending CK2 game and some daily quests to do in Warbands Bushido…

• welverin says:

Do you get to keep the cards you draft?

• Captain Narol says:

In sealed leagues, yes you keep them. In draft leagues, I’m not sure, might depends.

I can’t say anything because of the NDA, but for the record I played Total War Arena all saturday long and I plan to do the same sunday… * wink *

8. Mi-24 says:

Finally! Freedom! the holidays have begun and I finally have some time to play games again. Still enjoying murdering nazis in sniper elite 4, also discovered loely rougelike streets of rogue which gets a little repetitive but is amazing fun.

9. Ghostwise says:

Terraria as pure comfort food, since I’m tired.

I also blew through Shadowgrounds, from 2006. It really, really goes out of its way to be as generic and forgettable as possible but the gameplay is fun and satisfying.

And heh, it was €0.74 from a Frozenbytes sale.

Iamblichos says:

Looking like another weekend lost to Rimworld. I must have vengeance for Hamster Gulch, which succumbed to a heat wave! Finally Linda the Game Dev showed up to reclaim the place, but since she was too lazy to restock the generator she had no light, no A/C, and no food (silly game devs!). It… didn’t end well.

11. LennyLeonardUK says:

Um, definitely more Zelda BOTW for me.

I am nearing the end of Night In The Woods as well which has been a very pleasant surprise. I bought it on a whim a couple of weeks ago and have really enjoyed it.

And I intend to get into Nier: Automata a little bit more. I haven’t had the time to really get my teeth into yet but hopefully that will change this weekend.

12. aircool says:

I performed some electronic surgery on my previous monitor (1080@144Hz), so now I have two monitors and am wondering how to make use of them for gaming purposes.

13. Vanadium235 says:

I was looking forward to finally playing some Mass Effect, but since Andromeda is such a disappointment, I’ll probably just play the original trilogy again.
    Besides that, some good old Civilization IV.

• brucethemoose says:

Personally, I’m loving every second of ME Andromeda.

But since you’re seemingly more patient than I, you should wait a month for the game to get patched up, at the very least.

subdog says:

I’m replaying ME1 right now and will probably finish this weekend. I highly recommend using the high res textures over at the Nexus. With forced AA, it’s a remarkably pretty game. The new eye-candy makes the crappy shooting and annoying driving parts almost seem compelling.

14. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oxenfree and Doom (2016), Doom (2016) and Oxenfree. They’re both a bit boring in their own way, but flitting between them over the weekend seems the best way to enjoy them in exhilarating bursts.

Who doesn’t love an exhilarating burst, eh.

• aircool says:

Doom is just terrific. Like the original I can just keep playing through again and again (although I still don’t like playing the Hell levels at night with my headphones on).

Using the Vulkan API it runs like lightning.

subdog says:

Two of my favorite games of last year, great choices.

15. Emperor Norton I says:

I have really been enjoying Hollow Knight, and will continue with that for the forseeable future. I sorta bounced off Total Warhammer last week, and do not know if I can be bothered to try it again. I’d really like to check out Nier Automata, but with so much of a backlog from the winter sale of stuff I really do want to play, it is hard to justify.

AutonomyLost says:

I bought Hollow Knight but have yet to try it out, what with the inundation of solid releases lately. I intend to soon though. You’re liking it then? Also, I will vouch for NieR. Excellent.

16. ansionnach says:

I’ve been playing some FPS games recently. Have limited mobility at the moment so being able to run around is fun. Have been playing at standard difficulty since I’m not sure these are worth my full respect. The new Wolfensteins certainly weren’t, after building up well at the start. Probably would have walked away (if playing on hard) at the bridge bombing or the patronising bullshit diary entries and not realised how truly disappointing and wasteful it is of its potential by the terrible ending. It’s still a very fun game just for the shooting but it gets old somewhere past the half-way point. Too many corridors. The Old Blood seemed to try for some more open areas and some choice here and there as to the order you did things in. Its boss was less horrendous but it’s not quite good enough to sustain its (short) length. Still good, though. I really dislike zombies but perhaps the second one is more pure fun with less of the nonsense (and I don’t mean the mech and zombie Nazis).

Doom is much better. A relative comparison to Wolfenstein doesn’t do it justice – it’s great. Still suffers from a little consolitis and the movement is too slow but it does remind me of Quake III, which is my high point for arena shooters. I really like some of the weapons, especially the gauss cannon, super shotgun and the scoped assault rifle (even at close enough range). The shotgun’s explosive shot really reminds me of the grenade launcher in Quake, if a bit wimpier. It was a bit of a waste playing it on the normal difficulty as I’m probably not bothered to play it again (I rarely play the same game after completing it). Still tempted…

I’m not sure what’s next if not Doom again. Have been playing some co-op SplitWolf (split-screen Wolfenstein 3D). I dug up some games I never really played (Doom 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein). Have been playing Doom 2 on Ultra Violence as I was expecting to enjoy it more. Only on level 7 but I’m finding the level design very poor so far – it’s like a whole load of fan-made levels. A bit underwhelmed with the shooting in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It being old is no excuse as it was made with the Quake III engine and that’s a superb game. Haven’t played it much, though. I have Spear of Destiny and Blake Stone lined up for a try, too. Never really got into those but I’ve been enjoying Wolf 3D so much that I might give these another chance. Maybe Catacomb 3-D, too, as I’ve only ever finished The Catacomb Abyss. Even though simpler than their rivals, id has often done shooting and moving very well.

As fun as some of these games are, they’re not a patch on Dark Forces, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake or Quake III. Doom 4 is the best Doom game I’ve played by a long way, though.

Oh, I played some of the Marathon games a bit as well and have concluded that Mac fans who rave about them just had nothing better to play…

• Kaeoschassis says:

I whole-heartedly recommend Blake Stone if you can get it to run acceptably. I actually replayed it just recently and it holds up unbelievably well and is just great fun all around if you’re into classic shooters. Funny to think how much it broke the mould for fps back in its day, too.

Marathon is honestly kind of tricky to gauge. I think the best way I can put it is that it has, aside from its terrific narrative and amazing central character (Durandal, obviously), fantastic gameplay that’s almost completely ruined by its ridiculous level design. Best played in short bursts.

Nice to see someone else who actually appreciates Catacombs 3D, too! As you said, a very simple series, but something about it just ‘feels’ great. It’s just fun to play.

As for Doom, well… I haven’t played neu-doom yet, but regardless of how terrific it probably is I doubt it’ll be beating Doom2 for me. That’s probably my #1 game of all time.

• ansionnach says:

The new Doom is very different. Movement is a lot slower even though it supports a higher frame rate (the originals were capped at 35FPS, right?). I suppose some PC gamers have come to expect more speed and the possibility of a higher frame rate, but within the limits it sets itself, it’s very well designed. Gets very easy if you pick up a few of the upgrades, though. On the standard difficulty level you might find yourself going through the last levels with infinite ammo for everything other than the BFG and chainsaw.

I’m guessing Doom 2 gets better, then? The first one never worked for me. Had a 386SX-20MHz that didn’t run it very quickly and I hated being in the dark all the time. The monster cabinets seemed cheesy, too, although I can accept an argument that there’s nothing necessarily wrong with them in principle as they certainly deliver that rush of terror.

I think I can get more fun from Doom now on a faster machine but it’s a very long way from my top FPS list. Like the shotgun, though. They did a good job with shooting and movement as usual!

• Kaeoschassis says:

Doom2’s weapon and monster additions are a definite improvement and mostly very well balanced (assuming they’re employed correctly by the mappers) and as for its maps themselves, MOSTLY they’re pretty great. More experimental and abstract than Doom1’s for the most part, and that’s inevitably a bit hit and miss, but it’s what I love in classic shooter levels, more than the attempted realism of things like Duke3D.

Honestly when I say my favourite Doom is Doom2, I mean the mechanics. I mostly play various community-made mapsets. If you haven’t had the pleasure then you really should see what the community has done in its 21 years and counting, you might just be very pleased indeed.

If we’re going on just original maps, yeah, Dark Forces and Duke3D would definitely score higher, but I don’t feel either of those has the weapon, enemy and movement mechanics down as perfect as Doom2 did.

Having said that, I fully believe that neu-doom is brilliant and I definitely intend to play it.

• ansionnach says:

Thanks. I’ll check some of these out, then. Back that long ago I didn’t have much in the way of an internet connection so only ever played the vanilla game. Did play Duke on TEN, Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith on the Microsoft Game Zone (or whatever it was called) and Quakeworld a little, though (including the original Team Fortress).

Running around in Doom with the shotgun is certainly a lot of fun. I play the original DOS versions and the mouse causing movement can sometimes be a minor issue. I really like the weapons in Duke as well. I often find when a game has this many varied weapons that they’re just gimmicks but not in Duke – the standard weapons are great and the pipe bombs, devastator, trip mines, shrink ray, freezethrower and maybe even the microwave gun (it’s only in the Plutonium PAK addon so I didn’t use it as much) are all really useful, too. We’ll see what I think if I get to compare the full extent of what the Dooms have become with what Duke3d can be!

• malkav11 says:

I’ve played a whole bunch of shooters of the era and Marathon 1 and 2 are hands down better than most of them. A story that still holds up today, astonishingly innovative mechanics, friendly NPCs, a degree of deliberate moddability that was unprecedented before and not regularly equaled for years afterwards… Infinity, well…it’s weird.

Heck, I think the first two are better and more innovative than Half-Life. Certainly way better stories, which is something I have never understood Half-Life being lauded for. It’s barely got one!

Not that there aren’t a few other things out there from the era, like System Shock, that hang with or exceed Marathon. But they don’t seem to have had a great deal more popular success than Marathon did, and they had a much wider market.

• ansionnach says:

I remember the Ultima Underworlds getting very well reviewed and being pretty commercially successful at the time. These still haven’t been bettered. I didn’t play them until years later, and only finished them both within the last two years. It’s a crying shame that more people don’t give them a go. Not that these are FPS games, but I’d categorise them similarly to the first (good) System Shock (although, that certainly wasn’t an RPG), which I did play and complete in the nineties. That was a really great first-person action/adventure game. The thing that was special about them for me was the control system: they didn’t try to be fast-paced action and they weren’t. The cool thing was how free you were to move about and interact at the same time. In Ultima Underworld II, for example, you can jump, slide across some ice, turn around and pick up an item while moving. For this kind of delicate action the keyboard could be used for movement and the mouse cursor was your hands. The keyboard controls actually used wasd and some others in a similar configuration to today. Considering how I played the games, I think a lot of modern attempts at similar games have failed by adapting a control system that restricts interactivity. Many people seem to want to use the same controls for every game these days and that restricts what they can be from the start.

• fish99 says:

I think Half Life was lauded for having story elements integrated into real-time gameplay, not specifically for having a good story. It was a new style of story telling for an FPS game.

• malkav11 says:

It’s basically unskippable cutscenes but you can miss the good bits. Not a fan, personally.

• fish99 says:

Sure, I’m just saying HL did it first.

• ansionnach says:

Didn’t really like Half Life either. Like with Quake I was disappointed as I was expecting something to eclipse Dark Forces and Duke3d. At least with Quake I was eventually satisfied by something very different, unexpected and with excellent shooting. The shooting in Half Life wasn’t that great. I really rate the first Quake now. It and Quake III are so stripped-down that they can at first appear to be much less than their contemporaries. Once you get shooting you realise that most of the others are triple albums full of duds to Quake’s focus, purity and perfect execution.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Quake might have alright shooting, but it has TERRIBLE guns. Limp, barely-present feedback and dull designs. The overall combat is pretty decent but I can never shake the awareness that their shotgun is… well, that.

However it does has some pretty great environments once you get past the first few levels.

Meanwhile, as I’ve been known to ‘occasionally’ point out on here, Quake 2 had excellent weapons. Truly a joy to use.

• ansionnach says:

I’ll have to go back to Quake, perhaps. Its shotgun was the initial weapon so was very weedy. Think I liked the others, except the lightning gun. My favourite was the grenade launcher. I suppose the rocket launcher is the famous one. Maybe it’s good because it’s wimpy: of it was as devastating as in Duke3d, there’d be no rocket jumping.

I’ve never played Quake II. I know it was big enough online but I wasn’t. I’ve never had the inclination to try it or Quake 4.

• ansionnach says:

I think I only played the free port of the first Marathon. Really didn’t like the puny shooting, slow movement and level design. Not that I played very far. I found a section in one of the earlier levels where I had to walk down this corridor and have wizards dropped on my head infuriating.

I’ve never liked this kind of “design”. Not in Doom (which again, I’ve never been a big fan of before the new one) and not even in Duke3d (those blasted explosive flying pods). It’s one of the weaker things about Duke. It’s somehow fine in the new Doom, though, as the enemies seem to warp in fairly scattered about the place. If they wanted to ape the old games at this they could just drop them right on your head and all around you so you die at least once.

MajorLag says:

I’ve been playing enough of the free version of Streets of Rogue lately that I should probably pay for the real thing. Like Tower of Guns, it isn’t because I think its a great game, it’s just one of the most ok-est games available to me and has short play sessions.

Also the Mind Machine Interface demo. Christ it’s hard, because it works so differently than any computing system that exists. It’s like it was designed by an alien species that never developed electronics or something.

18. Bowak says:

Torment: Tides of Numenera. By gosh it’s as good as everyone says isn’t it. I particularly like how I’ve already come across a couple of situations where I wish I hadn’t done the usual RPG thing of farming every conversation tree as the person I’d quizzed remembered that I’d known nothing and it had a consequence on my actions. It’s really encouraged me to just look for whatever jumps out as interesting, and if I end up missing some things, that’s fine as I do plan on playing a 2nd playthrough as a techy character.

It does make me wish I’d paid more attention to one of my friends who’s spent about 15 years saying “Play Planescape Torment, it’s really good and you’ll like it”.

• ansionnach says:

Couldn’t say if you’d like it, but Planescape: Torment is very good. Being someone who enjoyed Deus Ex but thought all the hyperbole about it was nonsense (Ultima Underworld was, is and always will be a far better game), and didn’t really like Half Life, it’s difficult to know whether I’ll like a game until I play it. As with anything that has a lot of writing, if you find it patronising you may not like it. Like some other games Avellone was involved in it tries very hard to turn convention on its head. It works for me but sometimes I’ve seen other writing try so hard to be different and avoid cliché that the result takes leave of reality and fails to make any points about the human condition. I don’t think I’ve heard this criticism levelled at Planescape: Torment, though. Those who would dislike it (and many who might like it) probably lose patience early on.

I may try Numenera at some point but I’m not convinced I’ll like it. They went to turn-based early on and I actually liked the combat in the first game, which was real time with pause. The argument that you can almost always avoid combat puts me off further as it sounds plain preposterous. Some people simply can’t be reasoned with. I’ve been mugged before and you can’t talk your way out.

• malkav11 says:

In some cases “you can avoid combat” doesn’t mean you can resolve the situation without violence, it means that it’s an optional encounter and if you’d rather not fight you can not go there.

• Someoldguy says:

Indeed. There’s definitely some places where “Fight!” is the only option, if you choose to go there.

• ansionnach says:

Okay. I’m certainly not deterred enough to rule out taking a look at it in the future. I think my main gripe about the combat from when they decided to go this way is that terrible turn-based combat is much worse than the same thing in real-time (and good combat is rare). Like in Fallout when you’d keep getting into unwanted encounters that would stop you from doing what you like. Even running away was tricky.

19. mgardner says:

Warfighter! I downloaded the DLC for Tabletop Simulator and have been playing it all week. The card game has been out for a few years already, but I never picked it up because I wasn’t too keen on the modern theme. It is a wonderful game and I have enjoyed it so much that I ordered a boxed copy of Warfighter WWII which should be delivered later today.

20. Dekion says:

I would recommend monster slayers as a quick pick up and play deck game. Easy to pick up. Also playing the dwarves.

Mungrul says:

Such a shame that BoTW is just a cartridge and nothing else in the box.
    The Binding of Isaac for the Switch is a lovely little package:
    link to kotaku.com

I’ve been tempted to buy a Switch myself just for Zelda, although recent news that a bunch of content is locked behind Amiibos has tempered my enthusiasm somewhat.

• Jim Reaper says:

It’s just clothes man! Well, armour sets, to be more precise. I haven’t got any amiibo either, and I’m having a whale of a time!

• fish99 says:

Agree, none of that stuff is significant. The game has a ton of armour sets without amiibo.

22. Chorltonwheelie says:

Thanks to the RPS headsup I’m downloading the full season of Hitman for £20.

Ms Wheelie’s away for the weekend, kids want takeaway for tea, United aren’t playing and I’ve got a fridge full of Tinderbox IPA.
    No point getting dressed really…see y’all Monday.

Edski says:

Blood and Wine. I’ve played 20-25ish hours and am liking it even more than the main game. Can’t give an appraisal of the main plot as I only got a couple of missions into that before distraction set in. And the distraction is fine entertainment. It’s gloriously ridiculous, but I’m disappointed not to have heard a “‘Pon my word!” or had an opportunity to ride a drunken Kobold. Dwarven goat racing would also be welcome, but I’m not holding out hope on that count.

24. phlipy says:

Some Overwatching, but getting a little tired of the increasing chat-toxicity there.

Just returned to Atom Zombie Smasher and having a blast!

Thulsa Hex says:

NieR:Automata for most of the weekend, methinks! I decided to play on hard mode from the get-go which does make some parts tricky, so I don’t think I’ve made as much progress as most. I’m really loving it though.

I also somehow convinced myself that I could afford to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 1070 last weekend, thus I’ll also probably throw some other games at it so that I can “oooo” and “aaaah” at the results.

Finally, I picked up Deus Ex: MD in the Humble sale last night and have to decide whether or not I should finish Nier before jumping into that one…

26. Zenicetus says:

I will be playing Mass Effect: The Young Adult Novel, where our intrepid band of clueless young space rangers stumble through new worlds in Andromeda, shooting aliens in the face, and having laughable conversations. Good fun! Or at least good enough for some mindless repetitive shooter gameplay when I’m bored.

Other than that, checking out the new Phase 3 build of Endless Space 2 (Early Access).

27. yogibbear says:

I will be playing Mass Effect Andromeda, because despite the crystal meth eyes on Ryder and the absolutely terrible dialogue and the in your face politically correct BS propaganda throughout the actual gameplay is F*(***** AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ansionnach says:

I find it annoying being lectured by other people’s ideas of what is and isn’t right when playing a game. Can’t talk about Andromeda but elsewhere it seems like those writing this stuff think that by simply creating a polemic supporting whatever their ideology is they’re somehow writing something grown-up. There are certain fundamental issues that should be left to people to work out for themselves and once you start pontificating that your side is right then you’ve cut off half of your audience. Wolfenstein: The New Order is the only game I’m aware of that has picked the worst of all issues to whack people over the head with.

• yogibbear says:

Exactly! Like we’re humans struggling like hell to survive in the Andromeda galaxy and I’m on a sidequest to drill for water, when (without spoiling the events) I am given the option to also drill for natural gas. Heyo! We need energy! And trade! Sounds good! Nah… Ryder be all like “Choose Natural Gas: the environment isn’t our problem”……. EA absolute sellouts c******ts.

• Zenicetus says:

I get the complaint, but I see it more as a failure of sci-fi imagination, thinking natural gas would still be important to a spacefaring civilization. Really? All that glowing tech and generators and stuff are running on gas?

It might be pushing an agenda to suggest the choice trashes the environment, but for me it’s more about lazy writing. It’s pervasive, throughout the game. It treats the concerns of future human and alien societies as lame extensions of the present day, like the writers never bothered to read any good science fiction novels.

• ansionnach says:

Maybe in this case they could have taken advantage of the sci-fi setting and presented a new potential source of energy instead. They would have to demonstrate to you its usefulness and potential dangers. Perhaps, to complicate things, the locals, who lack the technology to unlock its full potential could consider it sacred. Add to that some degree of desperation on your part. Do you walk away, try to then get it without their knowledge, try to work with the locals (breaking some sort of prime directive)? Do you simply give them weapons, technology or useless trinkets, or do you agree to set up a long-term partnership that tries to introduce them to new ways gently, knowing that even with the best of intentions you will be blamed by some for all problems. If you choose to exploit the resource does your desperation mean you risk doing so quickly having already been shown the potential catastrophe of doing so… or do you wait and develop safe methods? Then, knowing your need for something like this, the risks and effort involved in the slower options and the fact that there are plenty more planets in this galaxy, it would be so easy to take it by force and exploit it quickly. Maybe that’s too contrived? Difficult to give these things a decent treatment. There’s probably plenty of scope to examine colonialism in a game like this, but maybe best to leave it out if you’re not up to the task.

28. liquidsoap89 says:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Mass Effect.

And maybe Rocksmith. And probably lots of movies. And maybe Nier if I get bored of Mass Effect. So I guess not only Mass Effect.

• PiiSmith says:

That plan sounds a lot like my mixture I had this weekend. A bit of Skid Row in the Rocksmith, Andromeda and Nier.

• SableKeech says:

+1 Rocksmith!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I will be playing Nier:Automata which I am not sure how close to the end I am. I’ve been doing a lot of the side missions which I am starting to be under leveled for. That’s not always a bad thing, I’ve been playing on Normal for my first playthrough and it is nice to be given the chance to test out higher difficulties.

If I manage to finish Nier then I’ll go back and finish Gravity Rush 2 before starting Nier’s NG+.

30. malkav11 says:

I’ll play a little bit of Hex, probably, but mostly Mass Effect: Andromeda which frankly I adore so far. I don’t understand all the negativity being thrown at the game at all. It’s got a few missteps for sure, a bit of clunky dialogue here and there, menus that could be better, less-than-ideal saves. But on the whole it’s a treat. It’s like a remixed and expanded version of the ME3 combat (which was previously the best) slotted in a game that otherwise strongly recalls ME1, which is my favorite in the series by a substantial margin (at least, up until now – Andromeda might well take the lead). I love the exploration-focused sensibilities, the incredible vistas, the sense of being largely alone in an unexpectedly hostile galaxy, and the idea that everything I’m doing is helping carve out a foothold here for our Ark colonists. There’s still plenty of time for it to faceplant, of course, but since I was enjoying myself from the off in a game where even the more positive critics have tended to proclaim the opening rather duff, I’m not expecting it to for me.

• brucethemoose says:

Agreed.

The only thing really I miss are the old trilogy’s better companions. I haven’t found anyone that can hold a candle to Thane, Wrex, Legion (though SAM is rapidly growing on me), Garrus, Javik and so on, but maybe it just needs time (and DLC?).

• malkav11 says:

At the point I’m at there just hasn’t been a lot of chance to interact with the few party members I have, so it’s hard to judge them. I will certainly grant that they’re not immediately distinct or compelling but they seem fit for the role of Pathfinder support, at least. And there’s a couple of folks with a bit more immediate personality that seem likely to join, probably by the end of the world. So we’ll see.

• brucethemoose says:

Oh yeah. If you’re talking about Eos, Liam and Cora are the obligatory generic human squadmates that every game has, things pick up.

• fiendling says:

I played through Eos with Cora and Vetra (she is immediately available when you get the Tempest). I highly recommend dropping Liam ASAP. Cora and Vetra also have a few nice dialogue interactions.

31. CartonofMilk says:

Hitman has suddenly been made very erm… affordable… so i’ll be playing this, finally, because frankly i dont know why I picked up No Man’s Aky again and i need to walk away from it.

And then i’ll also take an hour or two in my days to set movesets for all those user created NXT wrestlers i dled in wwe 2k17 with the goal that by next week i can start my universe mode. Because that’s the kind of life i lead.

32. Lumière says:

Time to try saving my country and, why not, the world in Democracy 3. I know it isn’t the sharpest political simulator around, but one can dream, can not?

33. Jekadu says:

I am expending vast amounts of energy to reverse entropy in the local vicinity of a former point of origin.

That is to say, I’m spending the weekend getting everything ready at my old flat for moving out once and for all. Packing, tidying and transporting stuff is exhausting.

34. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m gonna try to finish Darksiders 2. Even though it’s a great game it’s also a lot of busy work, like a to-do-list that keeps on branching. I don’t know if I’ll manage to finish it because of this or if I’ll bother to defeat the final boss. Not much into bosses, platforming and busy work, so it’ll feel good once it’s completed.

35. Viral Frog says:

Today it will be Grim Dawn. Mowing down pack after pack of enemies with my Spellbreaker is so damn satisfying.

I will also be playing more BioShock Infinite DLC. Clash in the Clouds specifically. I plan to start on Burial at Sea episode 1 tomorrow.

Then i have an 80s themed birthday party for a good friend to go to. I don’t know how to dress like it’s the 80s, but some quick Google Fu will solve that.

• mgardner says:

Google Don Johnson Miami Vice. This is the look used by sitcoms when there is a flashback to the 80s.

particlese says:

Much classier but potentially more difficult to find the resources for is the “80s skiing” look.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

A 1980s hip-hop look is pretty easy. Do you a Google search for ’80s Beastie Boys’.

36. parsley says:

I’m terribly curious about Nier: Automata, but I’m trying to wait until it goes on sale. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy playing cute puzzler Cosmic Express.

Thulsa Hex says:

Green Man Gaming has it for ~$48, which is certainly more palatable than the Steam price of $60.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s at $54 now. I think the $48 price was preorder only.

• welverin says:

Nope, lasted at least a week after. Broke down and picked it up yesterday myself.

37. fish99 says:

*minor spoilers*

105 hrs into Zelda (Wii U). Got all the map revealed, one beast down, 70 shrines done, and just got the master sword. Still got a bunch more quests to do though. Also my horse Bluey sadly didn’t make it… (still got Eponia, Bill, Horsey and Alfred).

I wish there was some way to see where you’ve been on the map (yes, I know, use your memory, but it’s a very big world). Fantastic game though, the best thing Nintendo have done since Ocarina of Time, or maybe ever.

Surely I’ll be finishing it this week…?

38. Aetylus says:

A big ole binge on Battle Brothers now that it is fully released. Seasoned with a smattering of Atlas Reactor.

39. keefybabe says:

Still Dark Souls. The painted world now. Those bosses in Anor Londo were murder.

particlese says:

Doing non-gaming stuff, but also Devil Daggers, ESO, and, if I get some certain other stuff done, working on finally beating Xenoblade or Skyrim: Dragonborn.

41. welverin says:

Mass Effect Andromeda, at least when it’s not causing my PC to melt down, which is a bit odd since it runs fine until Windows tells me I’m running out of memory or it just crashes entirely (Windows that is).

• Rizlar says:

Lol, sounds like ME:A, wonky as fuck but I love it. Guns and conversation, in space. What more can one ask for?

42. Shinard says:

I’ll be playing “cleaning out my PC so hopefully I can play Hitman for more than 40 minutes without overheating and crashing”, and then hopefully playing Hitman for more than 40 minutes without overheating and crashing. I mean, I’m already at Thailand, so the periodic crashes haven’t slowed me down that much, but still. If that doesn’t work out, I might play Sunless Sea, or Death Road to Canada. And Hearthstone is still sitting on my desktop, with ever welcoming arms…

43. Someoldguy says:

Torment: Numenara when I have extended time to devote to gaming and Land of Lords for idle snatched moments. It took a bit of playing around to get into it because in places the interface is very unintuitive, but building a kingdom up from nothing one hut at a time is proving really compelling. I’ve gone from three squalid huts on an arid plain to a substantial village, some of whose houses are actually nice to live in. Fairly soon I’ll have enough peasants trained in their jobs to actually consider building my first primitive motte and bailey castle without stagnating the village growth for an entire week. Some of the kingdoms built by established players are truly impressive.

44. fiendling says:

My weekend is an exact repeat of last week’s: Ghost Recon Wildlands with mates and Mass Effect Andromeda.

45. Sandepande says:

Andromeda. It’s not high art but it is entertaining enough.

Bioware clearly have issues with their scripting (not talking about story) though.

46. Arkovian Rep says:

Rayman Origins, probably because of having read here R. Legends review, or simply cause I need to do something else when I get stuck playing They Bleed Pixels. The latter, I just bought it on sale for 2.59 € w/ soundtrack and it’s really fun. Totally recommended, I think it will on sale ’til Tuesday on Steam, so check out if interested.

Ah, and also King’s Bounty – The Legend. I never played KB games before. Let’s see, not really sure if that’s my kind of game.

47. geldonyetich says:

Having splurged on an upgrade, I’ve been playing, “Lets find a game that actually needs an i7-7700k.” I have yet to win at this game.

Aside from that, the same things I’ve been playing prior to the upgrade. Mass Effect: Andromeda, Oxygen Not Included, Minecraft, and Farming Simulator 2017.

48. JohnH says:

I’ve spent all my spare time this weekend playing NieR:Automata and I’m loving it! :)