The Occupation looks an interesting first-person reporter

The makers of Ether One have announced The Occupation [official site], a fascinating-sounding new first-person investigate-o-adventure game. Set in the wake of a terrorist attack in ’80s Britain, it’ll send a reporter to investigate an impending oppressive government act, poking into the story as events unfold in four hours of real time. Quite how it all works is a little unclear for now but I’m digging the idea especially for that real-time aspect. Too few games draw from The Last Express. Here, get a sense of what’s going on and admire the dust-wiping animation in this announcement trailer:

I’m certainly keen to see more of that. Here’s the official pitch from White Paper Games:

“The Occupation is a politically driven, first-person, narrative game set in 1980’s North-West England in which you play as a whistleblowing journalist.

“A terrorist attack has left 23 dead & has become a catalyst for the creation of The Union Act. A controversial act which threatens the civil liberties of the British population. The day is October 24th 1987 and the next 4 hours will determine the outcome of the act and the future of the country. Events happen in real-time and you must make decisions based on the evidence surrounding you. Is the cost of an extreme action outweighed by the cause of the greater good? You are the reporter. You decide the narrative.”

The Occupation is coming later this year. White Paper Games haven’t confirmed platforms yet but I’d be astonished if it skips PC. They’ll be showing a demo version of The Occupation at Rezzed this week. (We’ll be at Rezzed too, by the way.)

White Paper actually announced The Occupation on Wednesday. Right as I finished this post, reports started coming in of deadly attacks around Parliament. Given this game’s terrorism plot, we sat on this for a bit.

From this site

1. Eraysor says:

Wow, they got really unlucky with the date of the reveal…

2. Biggus_Dikkus says:

good call about delay

3. Stevostin says:

“The Occupation is a politically driven, first-person, narrative game set in 1980’s North-West England where everyone and everything is made out of plastic.”

A bit hard to get along with that texture vs light render in a post dishonored 2 era. At least for me.

4. ZippyLemon says:

Is that how they talked up North in the 1980s?

I’m being harsh. This game couldn’t be more up my alley. Looking forward to hearing more!

5. padger says:

This looks amazing. More of this sort of thing, plz.

Ben King says:

This looks like it could be a fun puzzle mystery, but I’m still not sure how I feel about Ether 1 yet a couple years on from playing it. I have a few good memories of puzzles with clever solutions that clicked, a few crap memories of puzzle solutions that were not so fun, then a LOT of memories of quiet uneventful exploration that are neither good nor bad. I’m remembering just now that the home base was a really cool place to explore and an interesting puzzle level in itself- I probably should have included that one in the “Game Apartments” thread a while ago.

7. Mi-24 says:

This looks great, so many games have tried (and often failed) to pull off a successful “secret government conspiracy” plot and this looks like it might actually succeed, being grounded in reality and touching on the more modern ideas of terrorism, nationalism and imigration.

8. ToughMochi says:

Real-time aspect is very intriguing. Hopefully it comes to PC.

Adding to the kudos to delaying the article. Much respect to your decision here.

Drib says:

Unfortunate timing on the release there lads.

But hopefully it’ll be an interesting game. Topical, too.

10. Vandelay says:

Hmm… I like what they are doing with this and I’m certainly intrigued by the trailer, but this could be an awful mess.

From the trailer, are we to assume that this is a terrorist act committed by people from Scotland? Are they going with an independence thing here? Seems an odd choice, considering that this being set in 80s, when the United Kingdom was regularly at threat of terrorist attacks by members of the IRA (far more than we are now from religious extremists.)

Comparisons with real world events and the fictional ones here seem to muddy the water, particularly when their actual target is more likely to be modern events. It seems the more sensible approach would be to just create a fictional country and tensions.

Still, I like the tone and I’m certainly not put off enough to not see what the final game has to offer.