Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy biffing baddies in April

Telltale have been pencilling away at their upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy [official site] adventure. Now they’ve let everyone know the release date for the first episode: April 18. There’ll be five episodes in this season, with a trailer coming on Thursday, they say. Why is everyone bringing their trailers out on Thursday? Is this some kind of cool new cult? And if so, how do we join?

The first episode is called Tangled Up in Blue and it’s all about the Guardians finding a powerful trinket. Here’s what the blurb says.

A brand new story of the universe’s unlikeliest heroes: Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot. In the wake of an epic battle, the Guardians discover an artifact of unspeakable power. Each of them has a reason to desire this relic, as does a ruthless enemy who is the last of her kind, and who will stop at nothing to tear it from their hands.

From Earth to the Milano to Knowhere and beyond, and set to the beat of awesome music, you wear the rocket-powered boots of Star-Lord in an original Guardians adventure, where your decisions and actions drive the story you experience.

As ever you can buy these separately or wholesale with a season pass, which we can spot for £18.99 on both Steam and GOG (not accounting for any discount there might currently be). We’re a mixed crowd when it comes to Telltale’s adventures. I loved the first Walking Dead and played Game of Thrones in a fun and quarrelsome way (my girlfriend controlling some set characters and me controlling others). But John thinks they’re pure cack. But he’s a shapeshifter, and cannot be trusted.

The newest episode of the newest series of the Walking Dead is also coming out some time this week, says Telltale.

From this site

1. haldolium says:

I don’t know… I actually did watch the movie because of the VFX and it didn’t disappoint there (and a bit less in everything else compared to quite a few VFX films) and Telltale sure is the very last company that can make great visuals at the moment.

• skittles says:

There has been a big improvement in Telltale’s visuals. The graphics have actually been pretty good the last few series. Now they just need to be more consistent so the entire seasons look good, usually some parts of each series have graphics that are still pure cack to use some big article words. Scenes that are obviously rushed out the door due to timeframes.

At this point I dunno why Telltale just don’t make complete games really and make sure the whole thing is done well. They used to have schedules that they stuck to reasonably well. Now a days you have got no idea when episodes will come till they are announced.

• Buggery says:

Does the TellTale Tool engine still run like a late 90s Honda with a failing transmission? I’ve grown tired of the way that their very simple graphics engine seems to come to a stuttering halt on every PC and console I’ve ever tried their games with.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

“Why is everyone bringing their trailers out on Thursday?” That’s because it’s my birthday (…precioussss).

3. noodlecake says:

I wish they’d stop with new IPs and give me season 2 of The Wolf Among Us.

• Darth Gangrel says:

That’s the only Telltale game I’ve played (have Tales from the Borderlands and Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse as well) and really liked it. I’ve still got it installed, in case I want to play it again and make some other choices.

At least in The Walking Dead, I’ve seen people accuse Telltale of pretending that your choices matter more than they actually do (something not unique to Telltale, to be fair). For that reason and the obvious one, getting more of something you like, I’d also like to see a new season.

4. skorpeyon says:

I LOVE Sam & Max, so I bought into a few of the early Telltale games without hesitation, awaiting each “episode” eagerly, etc. Then they started putting whole “seasons” on sale for $20, often right after the last episode drops, sometimes before it’d even come out. Nowadays, I’ll only buy their games for $20, because I can guarantee it’ll drop to that price eventually.

Comment on this story