Destiny 2 coming to PC for deffo, says fresh trailer

Alien murderthon Destiny 2 [official site] is coming to PC for real. You know what that means: no more qualifying all our news posts with “but this is just a rumour.” Hooray! The news comes as part of a “reveal trailer” which is a stupid name for a trailer when there has already been a video showing its existence. That and the shooter was officially revealed by a tweeted logo earlier this week. But never mind, let’s take a look at what we can expect from the MMO-ish sequel in the video, found in the nether regions of this post.

So there you have it, a mix of the first game’s over-serious light versus dark non-story, and the Deadpoolesque dialogue of robot Cayde-6, voiced by Nathan Fillion. Everything from the first game you held dear seems to have been burned to the ground by a marauding enemy. Expect to shoot them from September 8, with a beta coming some time this summer.

The fact it was coming to PC has been more or less an open secret. Even as the trailer went up, the official website’s pre-order page today listed PC as an option, boasting box art with ‘PC’ clearly stamped on. Not to mention all the previous rumours fuelled by leaked poster art and errant lines from financial reports. Anyway, it’s real now. There you go.

1. Troubletcat says:

I had a grand time in Destiny around launch on PS4. Never played either of the expansions because it didn’t quite have the staying power for me. But with a big old 2 on the end I’ll probably give it another shot, and now on my platform of choice thank goodness!

• Janichsan says:

You really should have tried the expansions: they massively improved the game.

• Leonick says:

I want to, but by the time I had some free time to dedicate to that they had stopped selling the expansions, instead expecting me to buy and expensive collection including a game and DLC I already have…

Hopefully price might go down for that know though so I can play that over summer.

Nauallis says:

The price of the collection (game and all DLC) has already gone down, on both platforms, to $40 just about everywhere, and there are regular sales that put it down to $25-$30. No idea if the sales are transposed for UK/£ though.

• MattyCov says:

It’s £22.99 for the collection edition (all expansions) on Amazon currently

2. Chromatose says:

I’m excited!

3. BaronKreight says:

Wonderful!

4. Snowskeeper says:

I’m happy about this. Hope nobody’s petty enough to get upset about it.

5. CartonofMilk says:

well, Sir, as a PC purist it is my opinion that you should not cover any game that is not exclusively a PC title. And a good day to you, Sir.

• Snowskeeper says:

• Sagiri says:

I would actually really love to see a site that only covers PC-exclusive FOSS games.

• Caiman says:

It would be even more hardcore if they deleted all their coverage for an exclusive PC game that was later brought to other platforms.

• Perjoss says:

Why not take it to the next level and the website refuses to load if you try and open it on a mac or phone/tablet.

6. ravenshrike says:

So, do we get to choose out motivational speaker, because that blue guy seems a bit boring to me. RoboQilinFillion is where it’s at.

• infovore says:

You loosely do. Zavala, Cayde and Ikora (Blue dude / robot dude / briefly glimpsed lady with a shotgun) are the senior representatives of the three character classes.

But more to the point: what you’re really seeing is the conflict between the po-faced story Bungie are trying to tell… and what it’s actually like to be a player. Apparently, I’m in some struggle against four alien races because I’m an immortal warrior of good. In reality, I’m an immortal space asshole that’s obsessed with loot and playing team-sports in the ruins of other civilisations.

And dancing. Lots of dancing.

7. haldolium says:

“and the Deadpoolesque dialogue of robot Cayde-6, voiced by Nathan Fillion”

Sounds like the other guy is voiced by Lance Reddick?!

What a waste of great artist for the VFX and great VO for such a dull video/game. Incidentally, who made that video? Is that Bungee inhouse production, or Blur maybe?

• Janichsan says:

Sounds like the other guy is voiced by Lance Reddick?!

Correct.

8. iainl says:

Probably heresy to say this here, but after playing Halo 2 on the PC, I’m really aware that Bungie’s FPS style is heavily about getting the feel of joypad controls right. Destiny was great on a PS4 pad, but Halo 2 just felt really flat. Partly because it became too easy, and I’m sure they’ll do a better job than way back then, but when I’m only rocking a GTX770 I don’t know if I’ll come back to the desk for this new one.

Nauallis says:

Just going to point out that Bungie didn’t port Halo 2 to PC (That was an in-house Microsoft Studio, apparently called Hired Gun). In fact, Bungie itself hasn’t really made any PC/Mac-specific games since Myth 2, arguably since Oni. All of their games since then have been built for consoles specifically.

That said, I have no idea if Bungie is planning on supporting the PC version of Destiny 2 themselves or using a third-party studio again. Or if it’s going to be one of the Xbox “Play Anywhere” titles. Personally, I really hope not, unless it’s done as well as Gears 4.

• Chromatose says:

They had enough resources to support four simultaneous platforms in-house for Destiny 1, so presumably yes. That said, they are working with a couple of other Activision dev-teams to get Destiny 2 out the door – if I recall correctly, High Moon Studios (the good Transformers games), and Vicarious Visions (Skylanders) are supposedly lending a hand, although in what capacity I don’t know.

Nauallis says:

True, though they dropped support for last-gen consoles last summer – and Destiny subsequently became more fun to play, because it got updated more often and with more generous free content.

• HumpX says:

hate to burst your bubble but Bungie did indeed have a hand in the Halo 2 PC port, maybe not a as much as MS did but they were definitely part of that disaster. One has to wonder that after the stellar job Gearbox did on Halo 1 why they just didnt go with them again. Yes, Im aware that there were some driver issues on the Gearbox port but once taken care of, the game ran like warm butter even on low end rigs.

• SuicideKing says:

Halo 2 was indeed flat, but Halo:CE was quite grand. I’m hoping Destiny 2 will evolve that same feel as the original Halo on PC.

• Lobotomist says:

But Halo 1 was awesome on PC. Was that not done by Bungie ?

• iainl says:

Another comment says it was Gearbox. But I played that one on Xbox, so didn’t know it didn’t suffer the same problems the second did.

I’m sure both platforms will be fine; it’s just that Destiny (like console Halo) is a bit more relaxed than your average twitchy PC FPS, and I think it’s one of the reason I find it a nice break.

• Chromatose says:

To be fair, going back and playing Halo 2 on my old Xbox, it really hasn’t aged well on console either. I don’t think the PC version being bad is so much to do with a poor port on Hired Gun / Bungie’s part, more that it’s just not a particularly great game to begin with.
      That Halo 1 is still a joy to play on PC, especially with all the fantastic graphical overhaul mods available through Custom Edition, is testament to the fact that Halo 1 was just a much better game to begin with.

• uh20 says:

This is pretty close to an mmo. So I garuntee we all will get hit by an impossible section without having dlc A/unlock B etc

9. Raoul Duke says:

I feel like this deserves minimal attention. They ignored PC last time around, they can earn our attention this time around.

• Snowskeeper says:

Unfortunately, coverage is determined based on how much the target demographic (IE gamers, in this case) cares about the subject matter–not how petty certain members of it are feeling.

• Da5e says:

Was that satire? Are you a satirist?

10. oldschool2112 says:

Yes, yes and yes. Best trailer ever – so much humor. Bring it on!

11. Stinkfinger75 says:

Given that Bungie games have outstanding feel when played with a controller I wonder how they will recreate that with a keyboard and mouse. Controller only on PC?

Masked Dave says:

I only played the first Halo on PC (or Halo: Combat Evolved as it was called for some reason), but that was just fine with keyboard & mouse.

• Junkenstein says:

Just do a Dark Souls/Platinum etc. Give the option of KB+M for THOSE PEOPLE but don’t waste any time pretending it’s not meant to be played with a joypad.

• SuicideKing says:

It’s an FPS. There’s phenomenally little they can fuck up, imo. Halo PC has the tightest kb/m control set of any shooter i’ve played to this day.

12. teamcharlie says:

Praise Jebus!

Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!

13. thelastpointer says:

I didn’t realize Destiny was so light-hearted. I’m a PC gamer, so the first one is out of question, but I might give this one a try.

Masked Dave says:

Didn’t have the right console to play the first game so my bother-ment levels for this were so low, it could have been said that I was not bothered at all.

But that trailer was actually pretty funny, so I’m onboard.