Tomb Raider movie reveals Alicia Vikander’s Lara

The best moment in cinematic history is, of course, any time a character says the title of the movie they’re in. This is the main reason I am excited for a Tomb Raider movie. At some point, surely someone will say in reverent tones “You’re… the Tomb Raider”.

Myself, I’m hoping Lara will rebuff accusations of grave robbery with “Please, my father was the Grave Robber. Call me the Tomb Raider.”

Oh, right, yes, the ‘news’: Warner Bros. have shared the first snaps of their movie based loosely on the gritty 2013 reboot, along with a blurb hinting at a “tomb raider” shoutout.

Warner Bros say:

“Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent, and takes college courses, rarely making it to class. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father’s global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he’s truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can’t understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death.

“Going explicitly against his final wishes, she leaves everything she knows behind in search of her dad’s last-known destination: a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. But her mission will not be an easy one; just reaching the island will be extremely treacherous. Suddenly, the stakes couldn’t be higher for Lara, who—against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit—must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name tomb raider.”

Amazing scenes. They even italicise that last “tomb raider.” It’s the name of the movie, you guys!

Our John is pinning his hopes on “Mistreater of the dead is my mother’s name!”

Tomb Raider the movie is due on March 16th, 2018. It stars Alicia Vikander from Ex Machina and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (a reboot far more fun than expected!) as Lara and is directed by Roar Uthaug, who himself sounds like a Tomb Raider boss. Dominic West out Spice World, Walton Goggins from The Shield, and Daniel Wu of Into the Badlands co-star.

Honestly, I do like Lara Croft as a goofy cigar-chomping B movie hero but sure, let’s give this a go too. And if you want someone Lara Croft-ish and you, like me, enjoy watching every single horror film on Netflix, you might fancy a peek at As Above, So Below. It’s an action-archaeologist’s spooky search for treasure in the Paris catacombs, and at times does feel quite Tomb Raider-y. I found it a pleasant enough evening.

John adds, after several minutes of being underappreciated, “(MISTREATER OF THE DEAD IS MY MOTHER’S NAME WAS A REALLY CLEVER JOKE).”

1. Wormerine says:

Considering the recent Tomb Raiders can be described as really solid adventure games, dragged down by unnecessarly grim tone, undeveloped characters and overall stupid story this might be all the bad but without the good stuff. I will probably not see it unless I hear really good things about it.

• ramirezfm says:

Very good things about a movie based on a videogame. That would be the first time methinks.

• Wormerine says:

I never said I went to see a based-on-game movie before:-).

MajorLag says:

There’s a lot of these “I’m a billionaire but I don’t want to be!” kinda stories these days… I’m starting to wonder if its some kind of not-very subtle attempt to mollify the serfs. “No you guys, see, being ridiculously wealthy actually uh, kinda sucks? yeah, it’s not so great, really. Look at all these fictional characters who would rather be running around doing dangerous and dirty things, yeah?”

• modzero says:

And, somehow, the dirty things usually involve punching, stabbing, shooting and/or driving over (non-lethally, of course) poor people in the name of Justice and/or Archeology.

• yer taffin me says:

Yes, and I expect there’s been more than one conversation or e-mail exchange with the Bush family members at some point, joking “we’re the original Tomb Raiders, lulz!”. As in, Prescott Bush infamously robbing Geronimo’s grave (for his Skull & Bones club initiation). The skull is still apparently on display in “The Tomb” (at Yale). And there you have it; open and blatant mockery of the serfs, in your face.

• brucethemoose says:

Perhaps it really is their own fantasy. Hollywood loves making movies about itself, after all.

phuzz says:

Well, it’s true that money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you food and shelter and all that good stuff, so on balance I’d rather have some please.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

So, they’re really cosplaying the 2013 game reboot. That could be good, at least it’s a change from the more ridiculously spectacular Lara Croft movies with Angelina Jolie.

And yes, John, that was indeed a very clever joke and it made me laugh.

4. Kefren says:

The recent Tomb Raider game was the only one I ever asked Steam for a refund on (they refused because I hadn’t played it quickly enough).

5. Jackablade says:

Yeah, The Man from UNCLE was a really enjoyable film, and I shall disagree with anyone who disagrees with me.

• skeletortoise says:

Indeed, it was pretty good fun, and I adamantly refuse to disagree with anyone who agrees with me about it.

subdog says:

Yeah right. First the Gaben post now this. Fool me once, RPS!

7. Babymech says:

“No, please, just call me Lara. Tom Braider was my father.”

8. Kushiel says:

It’s adorable that the Dominic West role used as a touchpoint was Spice World.

9. Furiant says:

To hell with that outfit; give her the shorts and little round shades. I don’t care that they aren’t as practical or empowering or whatever. They’re iconic and cool and a part of her signature look.

10. Mumbles says:

While I’ve thoroughly enjoyed TR ’13 and RotTR, their stories are all sorts of ridiculous. Can we have badass Lara back who did a lot of her stuff because shit’s fun, rather than the “woe is me”, daddy-issues-laden Lara of the reboot? Pretty please!

I’ll probably watch it as a rental because, you know, video game movie mediocrity. That said, I thought the first TR movie was one of the best, which made it quite enjoyable, because it embraced its campiness. The sequel though… NOPE!

11. Vedharta says:

I thought the picture was a ingame screenshot at first….

12. Eightball says:

Hollywood going all-in on butt-kicking brunette waifs after the two new star wars movies, eh.

• Eightball says:

Also Dominic West and Walter Goggins slumming it in a videogame movie.

13. Kolba says:

The name’s Raider. Tomb Raider.

14. metroidfan says:

its nice to finally see famous videogames turned into movies instead of more games. most video games are basically movies anyways. at least i wont have to buy another expensive game, or console or whatever just to see this new tomb raider story.

15. Josh W says:

Roar Uthaug also sounds like that weird bit at the end of tubular bells.