Resident Evil 4 HD mod releases Castle overhaul

The Resident Evil 4 HD Project [official site], a hugely impressive fan project painstankingly prettying-up Capcom’s classic spooky shooter, has released its overhaul of the Castle chapter. Unlike many ‘HD’ mods, this one is so faithful to the original look that the makers even track down Spanish buildings that Capcom had photographed for texture bases. It’s a cracking update to a smashing game. The modders haven’t finished overhauling the whole game yet, so they’re releasing it chapter-by-chapter. Here, check out how much nicer the castle looks:

That’s the good stuff. Along with remaking and recreating textures, the developers have added some more 3D geometry detail in places, improved lighting, and even fixed some of Capcom’s mistakes. It’s a huge improvement over Capcom’s own official ‘HD’ re-release.

Download links and instructions are over here. Do pay attention to those instructions, as some is a bit tricky for folks not used to fiddling with files (you can do it; I believe in you).

That download only contains the Castle overhaul, mind. If you want to fancy up the Village sections too, you’ll need this – but do be aware that that’s from 2014 and parts will be improved in the eventual final release. Going by screenshots and videos posted on dev blog, the Island overhaul is already coming along quite nicely. Yes, of course they have tracked down some of the machinery Capcom used for photo textures.

1. Ghostwise says:

Great. Now I’m gonna have I believe in you as an earworm for hours.

Why did you have to use your Kylie Minogue voice ?

2. Jalan says:

Looking impressive. Not enough to make me want to play the game, but impressive all the same.

There was a similar effort being done for the first game as well, I recall. I haven’t looked in on whether it was abandoned entirely or if there’s been more progress for it though.

3. suibhne says:

This might be enough to impel me to pick up the PC version. I played it on PSwhatever and then Wii, and it remains an all-time favorite, in all its splendid goofiness.

4. eqzitara says:

The only problem with these types of mods are they make me not want to replay until its done.

I went to go play RE4 like 2-3 years ago when I heard of this project. Stopped when I heard of it.

• Baines says:

It probably won’t be finished for a few more years. It has taken three years for the project to get this far, with the Village and Castle texture packs released. It looks like both the Village and Castle are set to receive further work before the project is “complete”, and there is still the Island to go as well.

• keefybabe says:

I can wait a couple of years myself. My steam backlog is big enough to handle that.

5. dethtoll says:

Personally I thought RE4 HD was fine as-is, especially with that 70s-style filter over it. Though if you’re cuckoo for super-HD high-res textures there’s nothing wrong with that.

6. Bobtree says:

Please let us know when someone mods Salazar out of the game.