New vehicles stomp, roll, and hover into Brigador

A new update and a sale is news exciting enough for a game as fun as Brigador [official site], but this is just a teaser for more to come. Brigador developers Stellar Jockeys have announced that they’ll “re-launch” the isometric tactical mech action game in June with a big update that’ll add a new intro campaign along with even more vehicles and more. Even at launch, in June 2016, it was good stuff — read Wot Alec Thought — so this is all great news.

First! Over the weekend, Stellar Jockeys released the ‘Design Bureau’ update with three new vehicles (a mech, a tank, and an anti-grav vehicle) and a bucketload of balance tweaks. To celebrate this small launch, Brigador is on sale on Steam, down to £10.49/13,49€/$14.99. New vehicles have arrived in other free updates before too.

But the best is yet to come, cyberchums. Here’s what Stellar Jockeys say to expect on June 2nd from the update big enough that they’re calling it a “re-launch”:

• A new intro campaign
  • New pilots and playable vehicles
  • Achievements
  • Complete rebalance of difficulty to better ease in new players
  • Localization to German, Russian, Japanese, French, Spanish, & Brazilian Portuguese
  • A few more things we’re keeping secret for now

Brigador, to refresh your memory, is a bit like Syndicate meets Desert Strike. In the grim future, you are a revolutionary stomping (or driving, hovering, sneaking…) around the city of Solo Nobre to topple The Man’s men. This largely involves explosions and destruction but its many vehicles and weapons do open a lot of different tactical opportunities. Good stuff.

1. marmite says:

I played it last night for the first time since it came out after reading that they had added alternate control schemes. It was a lot of fun to play with a 360 controller! I’ll def try the new campaign!

2. Drib says:

This was a game that was fun to play through, but then sorta immediately forgettable.

All sound and fury, signifying nothing, I guess.

Fun though. Maybe a re-launch is motivation enough to pick it up again.

• ropeladder says:

I’ve been playing this a bunch lately and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I’m guessing from your “fun to play through” comment that you only played the campaign mode? I think this was a bit of a mistake on their part because the freelance mode feels a bit more like the “real” game.

I mean, the game itself doesn’t really make sense from a “perspective” standpoint: you are apparently somebody working for an offworld company hiring mercenaries to aid in a rebellion, but then you actually control the mercenaries direct actions, and you can hire the same mercenaries as many times as you want.

But Freelance mode feels like there is a bit more progression because of the multi-mission structure and the fact that you have to escape afterward to get your payout.

All that is to say, I played through the campaign and have been putting much more time into freelance. The depth the game’s attention to different weapons loadouts and tactics really shines here, where choosing a different secondary weapon or special ability can completely change the gameplay.

Freelance CAN be pretty frustrating though, because more difficult vehicles demand a ton of patience, but everything can go wrong with a single shot if you’re not careful.

Favorite loadout currently is the pompadour with an archie and a mae dois plus an EMP. Nimble and it packs such a great punch.

• Drib says:

“you only played the campaign mode”

Pretty much, though I poked at Freelance as well.

But the whole “make money to have a higher number” deal was a bit dull. repeatedly re-doing the same missions with different loadouts… eh.

Just not my thing!

Though blowing stuff up in a big stompy mech is fun, so I dunno.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

“I mean, the game itself doesn’t really make sense from a “perspective” standpoint: you are apparently somebody working for an offworld company hiring mercenaries to aid in a rebellion”

That isn’t the plot. You are playing as different mercenaries taking on open contracts from a corporation offering huge amounts of money for committing terrorist attacks so they can gain control of an off-Earth colony. That is why the final mission and final goal in Freelance mode is to get off planet. You’d be lynched otherwise.

Check out the Brigador Contract in the date files. You are a terrible person.

• ropeladder says:

While you’re right that “rebellion” is clearly a positive spin on a profit-driven killing rampage, I stand by my claim that the perspective doesn’t make sense. Why am I playing multiple people who pool their money and weapons together and get to try again after they die? If I’m a single mercenary, why do I keep the money and the acquisitions after I leave? If I’m somebody from SNC who is hiring them (and then happens to be controlling them) why do I keep the money that they earn? Obviously what persistence there is is there to gamify the game, which is great and I think it works pretty well. I just find it silly that they didn’t manage to find a decent excuse for their setup that makes sense, like e.g. a campaign mode where you start off with sum of money and limited weapon access, and then can hire better people (for bigger and bigger payouts and more difficulty) but deaths of each person are permanent for the campaign.

Oh and I also wanted to say, apropos of none of this current discussion, that the devs should really consider making a Brigador RTS game. Most of the elements are already there–they could just add a minimal base building/tower defense component and some slightly better pathfinding and AI and, voila.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The game started out as an RTS and then they switched to an action game during development.

The different pilots in campaign mode are the different difficulties. Letting you play with loadouts not suited to the mission instead of just upping enemy counts or damage is one of my favourite things about the game. Some missions can be stealthed with the right pilot.

I’m generally fine with arcade aspects in games and this is no exception. This game does go beyond most in that it does tie the arcade aspects into the premise quite well. Treating the loadout screen as anything more than a New Game menu seems like a high expectation but I still get where you’re coming from.

3. Slaadfax says:

Ah, thanks for the reminder; I’ve been meaning to pick this one up.

Earl-Grey says:

I remember hearing about this for the first time on one of your Podcasts. Haven’t forgotten about it since, for some reason.

Apropos podcasts, how ’bout resurrecting the Rock, Paper, Podcast?
    You could have guests! Like that Kieron Gillen bloke (who?!), Rossignol and Quinns!
    Ah, one can dream.

RaveTurned says:

Brendan had some nice chats with IGF developers about their games recently. I don’t think they the main (and now ancient) RPS Podcast feed, but you can find them here: link to rockpapershotgun.com

5. drezworthy says:

Cool, I’ve been sitting on the copy I bought through groupees with all the music. June sounds like a good time to give a go!

6. leeder krenon says:

This game reminds me of Amaurote. One for the kids there.

• Caiman says:

I sincerely hope we’re not the only two who remember that! I bought it because of the music, though.

7. Ghostwise says:

I guess they could also buy the rights to bring back the Tac X1 Alpha from Future Cop: LAPD, but somehow I don’t see that happening.

8. Kolbex says:

Along with Crysis, Brigador is one of the very few games with a tie-in novel worth reading: link to amazon.com

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I forgot I had received this as a backer reward in audiobook form. I should really listen to it while playing the game one of these weeks.

• dorobo says:

I think they should’ve added more of this into the game. Not much maybe just a bits of story while on mission talking to someone idk. The work on all the vehicles is monumental but it’s just that one part and lore is so good and i think it was underused ingame. Also needs saves in freelance. Anyways a good game.

9. unitled says:

Pretty much my Game of the Year for last year, and very sadly overlooked. It took a few hours for it to ‘click’, but when it did it was fantastic.

I love everything about it, the music, the atmosphere, the story telling, the gameplay… it’s very clearly a labour of love from the developers (who are a lovely bunch, I might add, and hugely devoted to supporting the game and the fans).

Draws inspiration from a load of places (John Carpenter and Raptor: Call of the Shadows being two that strike me), even if the exact gameplay is slightly difficult to describe. It’s not a bullet-hell twitch shooter, and not a mech-strategy RTS… It’s closest in style I think to the old Strike games, though the developers insist they borrow a lot of Crusader: No Remorse as well.

• Flopdong says:

I’m glad to hear someone else remembers Raptor: Call of the Shadows, that game was awesome!

I’m excited for the new Brigador campaign too. I stopped playing the original campaign when they started doing weird missions where you had no ammo and had to get the enemies to accidentally kill each other instead of fighting them. Hopefully the new campaign doesn’t have anything like that

Nauallis says:

Even if for any reason you don’t like the gameplay itself, this is one of those with a phenomenal nearly-standalone soundtrack. It’s 100% 80’s retro-action cool.

On the other hand I ought to give it another go, because I found the default control schemes (both k&m and controller) super bizarre.

11. Voxel_Music_Man says:

Brigador is a great game. Also, what a great shame it was a financial failure for some reason. Hopefully this time the game will get the attention it deserves and will finally sell.

12. atomicthumbs says:

Man, that sure is an old screenshot.

I’ve gotten hours upon hours out of this game as is; the gameplay is incredibly engaging and the lore is fascinating, even before you throw in the audiobook. Then you have the soundtrack. I’m looking forward to the relaunch.