Dishonored 2 demo coming this week

A demo for Dishonored 2 [official site] would’ve been more useful five months ago, back when people had no way to know without buying the game whether its initial performance problems would strike them. Still, a demo coming this Thursday will give a welcome look at the first three missions of Arkane’s first-person supernatural stealth game. That’s a good chunk of sneaking from a good game.

To be specific and leave no room for uncertainties that weren’t left for me, I’ll relay the official word from publishers Bethesda that the demo “will allow players to dive into the first three missions of the campaign as either Empress Emily Kaldwin or the royal protector, Corvo Attano.” Presumably that’s the introduction along with the missions to reach then infiltrate the Addermire Institute.

The demo is due Thursday, April 6th on Steam. Demo saves will carry over to the full version.

Following that initial flurry of performance panic, Arkane have kept on fixing up Dishonored 2. A new patch with more bug fixes arrived only last month. If performance and problems are now in a good-enough state that Bethesda are happy releasing a demo, perhaps they’ll start nattering about expansions next. We’ve not heard anything about plans for story DLC but I wouldn’t be surprised. It could be interesting, considering how ace the first game’s side-story expansions were.

[Disclosure: My flatmate wrote for Dishonored 2 a little bit. I couldn’t tell you what because, when we played together, we didn’t reach any of her bits thanks mmmostly to me getting into messy fights after throwing glasses of whisky in people’s faces.]

[Further disclosure: And in the game.]

From this site

1. Chaoslord AJ says:

“A demo for Dishonored 2 [official site] would’ve been more useful five months ago”
    It’s not about what’s useful to us – it might have hurt their sales at launch and might generate additional sales now and attract new players.

2. Shazbut says:

3 missions sounds like a lot. How many missions are there in the whole game?

• Zenicetus says:

Nine missions but the first one is pretty short.

Still, that’s a big chunk of the game, and by the third mission you have a good feel for the various powers and abilities.

Drib says:

Reminds me of DOOM and Quake shareware way back when. Full first episode, ostensibly a third of the game, for free.

I’d like to see a return to that, but it seems unlikely.

3. Stevostin says:

An absolutely amazing game if you have the rig it needs. The Art and Level Design are one (or more) step ahead of everything else. Everything else ranges from very good to top quality. The only issue is that it needs a solid rig at a time where solid rigs are silly expensive.

• Daymare says:

Intel 2500k and a GTX 970 when this came out. After the first big performance patch I could play it at a stable 55 FPS with most settings on High or Very High.

Not really an expensive rig anymore, I’d say, and the game looked absolutely gorgeous.

• fish99 says:

It still suffers some framerate drops.

• Daymare says:

Then I’m one of those with a lucky combination of hardware components, I suppose. I’m also using an SSD for most modern games. I wonder if people still using HDDs are finding increasing performance problems with those.

Or — don’t remember if I did that for Dh2 — I might’ve turned down one particular setting that was hogging FPS. There was one random setting in Resi Evil 7 that made it buttery smooth after disabling.

• fish99 says:

I have all my games on SSDs. It might just be you’re not sensitive to minor stuttering and fps drops, or as you say, you dropped some settings.

• Vandelay says:

I have a feeling (just having read about it, as I don’t own it,) that expense spent on your computer is rather irrelevant, unless you are talking about a machine with a 1080 and the fastest i7 brute forcing its way through it. It sounds more like there is either something fundamentally wrong with the engine or there were issues that could be corrected.

Glad to see there is going to be a demo. This would have been one of the first games I bought for my new rig, but I had heard that even those with 1070s (the card I got end of last year,) were running into issues. I even contemplated just getting it on my PS4. Will now get a chance to see if it actually has all been sorted.

Does anyone know whether saves from this demo version will port over to a purchased version? Not sure how much I would want to be forced to replay the opening section again if I do decide to buy.

Seyda Neen says:

From the article – “Demo saves will carry over to the full version.”

• Farnbeak says:

I got Win10 + GTX1070 and everything else quite stock in my configuration and the game STILL hardfreezes 1 minute into the intro mission (ofc I’ve tried everything that might help). Thats the second game (FEZ was 1) in the last 5 years that wouldn’t let me play it no matter what, even given half a year+ patching time.

• Fenixp says:

Intel 2400 + GTX 970 ran the game at more or less stable 50 FPS.

On the same settings, after getting a new CPU (Intel i7 7700), DD4 RAM and an SSD drive, the game constantly fluctuates between 30 and 60 FPS.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t know if I “got lucky” or the tech issues were just more random than usual, but I had smooth performance right from the first release on my system — i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 Gig RAM, GTX970, 1920×1200 monitor. The fps may have been varying, but if it was, it was doing it above the point where I could notice any difference.

phuzz says:

I thought demos were pretty much dead, but there’s several games coming out with them recently.
    Does this mean RPS are going to bring back coverdisks?

5. Kingseeker Camargo says:

So allow me put this in writing to let it sink in: We’re at a point where a publisher makes an announcement for the release of a demo. Within three days.

And, again, five months after the full game came out.

All right then.

• Silvarin says:

Terrible indeed. Think of all the carbon dioxide that was spilled making this free piece of a game, shame on them! And i am not even taking into account all the energy wasted by overreacting readers who are triggered by the coverage of the anouncement for this free piece of a game. The horror.

• Zenicetus says:

Makes sense to me. It’s a way to tap a second wave of sales, before it starts to be deeply discounted. The technical issues have been mostly fixed by now. And it raises the game’s media profile in the interim between launch and any following DLC. What’s not to like?

• napoleonic says:

What are they supposed to do, keep it a secret?

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’ve never been less outraged in my life! Absolutely gusting.

• fish99 says:

It’s not hard to guess the reasons. I’d say it probably didn’t sell that well, but they think it’s a high quality game which many people overlooked and they see an opportunity to sell a bunch more copies with a demo.

6. Ysellian says:

happy for this honestly. Would love to see if my pc has no issues with the game, but I’ll probably still only get it during the easter sales coming up.

7. DThor says:

Sounds good, I was disheartened by all of the teeth knashing and wailing from the usual suspects, but seems like getting to wade in nice and deep is a great way to decide on a purchase. You know, this demo thing is a nifty new idea! I wonder if it could catch on?

8. KingFunk says:

This would have been interesting to me as I’m not sure if the game would run on my 1050Ti and my overclocked Q9450 (which still holds up surprisingly well). Unfortunately, Persona 5 just arrived on my desk, so no one else is getting a look in for, ooooooo, at least 6 months I reckon…