LEGO City Undercover busts into PC

While the LEGO games kept bouncing along merrily with their adventures based on movies and comic books, one interesting one skipped PC. Released on Wii U in 2013, LEGO City Undercover [official site] was an open-world LEGO ’em up with an original (well, non-licensed) story styled after silly cop action movies. Grand Theft Auto meets the Sabotage video but child-friendly. You can see for yourself, as LEGO City Undercover finally arrived on PC today.

See: cops!

LEGO City Undercover stars Chase McCain, a cop sent undercover to catch a master criminal Rex Fury. Going undercover handily gives him access to disguises, such as a robber, miner, construction, and astronaut. They variously give abilities including a grappling gun, scans, dynamite, a jackhammer, a jet pack – everything a movie cop needs. It’s like how other LEGO games gate abilities to characters, only here McCain can change character simply with a new hat or jacket. Policework! It’s got the usual two-player local co-op too.

I’m trying to cajole resident LEGOhead John into telling us Wot he Thinks of it. If you yourself played on Wii U (a system name which sounds a bit like a police siren if you draw out and repeat it enough), go on, tell us all Wot You, Reader Dear, Thought.

LEGO City Undercover is £24.99/29,99€/$39.99 on Steam.

From this site

1. Seafoam says:

I think this whole thing is just a way for Lego to sell its old lego city sets again. I recently saw a commercial on TV for a set I’m sure I had as a kid.

• Rob Lang says:

I think the LEGO games make enough by themselves but there is definitely cross marketing going on. LEGO city sets change every 12 months.

2. Gunrun says:

I had this on WiiU and it is way better than it has any reasonable right to be. It even has really clever witty writing.

3. KDR_11k says:

It had very positive coverage back on the Wii U, was considered the best Lego game at the time. I think some other game has bested it since then but a second best is still worth playing. Was voted kids game of the year by children.

4. Koozer says:

It is a Good Game. It’s the same stud collectathon as the rest of the LEGO games with added GTA-esque freedom to go and commandeer cement trucks and drive off bridges.

You can also catch pigs and fire them out of cannons, which never gets old.

• Spacewalk says:

Either you mean the farm animal or that’s really deep undercover you’re going in the game.

5. haldolium says:

Damn I wanted this very much but there seem to be severe technical issues currently (or forever… not the company know for fixing their games instead of just releasing the next one)

6. foszae says:

Wow, it’s a tremendous price gouge for Canadians. They’re asking 70 CAD while the current exchange rate puts it at around 54 CAD as a fair price.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

I’ve noticed that has happened in the last year or so with a few other games (XCOM 2, Fallout 4, etc.) even though, like you said, it should be cheaper with the exchange rate.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That’s what Humble Bundle, GreenManGaming, Gamersgate ect. are for.

7. racccoon says:

One wonders about lego Pc games releases, they never seem to get the controls right! I’ve bought a few pc releases and all of them are a complete pain to play, they really do need to look hard at whats the norm controls for mouse and keyboard PC gamers. Lets hope this ones got it right, maybe hope is too tough a word in lego’s case.

8. Niox says:

Not that bad after all, I probably would have loved this game as a kid.

9. Slazia says:

4,000 yen in Japan, which actually seems quite fair. A lot of PC games are coming out at around 9,000 now, that’s just over 80 USD.

10. Rob Lang says:

I nearly bought a Wii U’s this! Fingers crossed it has big picture mode and spot screen so that the boy and I can GTA it up together. LEGO Marvel came really close but this will be superb.