Rollcage-inspired racer Grip adds online multiplayer

Online multiplayer has arrived in Grip [official site] with the Rollcage-inspired racer’s latest patch pitstop on its journey through early access. Our boy Brendy Prematurely Evaluated Grip almost a year ago and was already quite exited by the future prospects of tumbling double-sided cars and futureraces. This here addition is a big step towards the full release, so that’s grand. Here, watch these cars go fast:

Online multiplayer is the headline feature of today’s update but not the only one. Also arrived today are a new car (the fastest so far, I’m told) and a new track (the most difficult so far, I’m told) and some driving model tweaks. The patch notes explain:

• Improved vehicle handling, which allows for more natural drifting
  • Better vehicle stability and collision. Improved suspension model. Players should experience less general unwanted bouncing. Improved downforce calculation

I’m broadly in favour of anything which increases drifting. Heck, spray the roads with water on icy nights, go on. My window’s high enough for me to safely enjoy watching cars drift inexorably into Leith.

Near-ish-future update plans include another new car, a new weapon, new tracks, and perks and progression in multiplayer.

To celebrate multiplayer’s launch, a 20% discount on Steam brings Grip down to £11.99/15,99€/$15.99 for a bit. Last we heard, devs Caged Element planned to release the full version of Grip some time in 2017. It’s perfectly fine if you’d rather wait for that.

From this site

1. Paul says:

On topic: I am so glad this game is getting made despite failed kickstarter. I bought it day it was available and no regrets. World needs nextgen Rollcage in it.

Off topic: Why, when I login in Firefox, it always throws me to my profile page, and when I go back to frontpage I am logged out again? In Chrome the login works correctly. Thank you.

• JackMultiple says:

Me too (Firefox). Although, I think if you go back to homepage and do a Refresh, I sometimes find that I’m now logged in. But not always.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Seems to be an issue with browser caching. Try ctrl-shift-R when you get to the article you want to comment on.

2. Tiax says:

I got GRIP a few weeks ago and I love it. The devs are really nice as well, judging by the interactions I had with them on the Steam forums.

3. racccoon says:

I think they should side step from car racing and create a open world game as there masterly environment models are worthy of better uses than static backdrops.

• Tiax says:

Jesus, this might be the only arcade racer on PC in 2017 (a vastly underrepresented genre since 10-15 years), it looks awesome to boot and you want to turn it into an open-world game?

Get a GRIP.

4. Synesthesia says:

I forgot about this one! That’s good news. I wonder if it has wheel support. That could be fun.

Benratha says:

“while the chief, drifted a car into Leith…”
    [sorry Proclaimers]

6. Ross Angus says:

OK, that is a really smart logo.

7. TechnicalBen says:

Been waiting quietly watching in anticipation [sees game is a tenner] sold!

Loved the first two (not sure if there were others), and even got it again for the DOS/PC version to run in emulation a few years back. I miss the fantastic soundtrack on the PS1 too, back when they would get b sides and chart hits. :)

• TechnicalBen says:

A quick play with it and it needs fine tuning IMO. However, I think it runs the risk of early access trying to keep up with the difficulty curve of the early adopters, and missing the actual sensible difficulty/level design.

Either the cars grip (see what I did there) to the ground less in this reboot, or the level design is just horrid, but I find I fall off the track and clip up into the air then walls off of lots more little dips/bumps in the tracks than the originals. :(

It has promise, but needs a little something to gain the magic of the original. :)

8. AlFitz says:

Been waiting for this and pounced for the mini sale as well.

Had a quick race and the vehicle feels meaty and mean, definitely a keeper this one.

9. Herzog says:

So if I want to get an arcade racer now – and I mean only one – which one to get? Redout, Grip or Distance?

• TechnicalBen says:

Distance is a great little bit of a game. The most polish out of them all (as earliest) so you could get it while waiting for the others to get better support/content.

• Tiax says:

I’d say Grip, even though I also have Distance and loved Nitronic Rush.

The reason behind this recommandation is that even though both games are currently in a similar EA phase, Grip’s development seems to be moving MUCH faster than Distance.

Plus, you can’t play Distance in multiplayer right now.