Steam Charts: a time to kill

steady on, saucy Nier person

You woke up this morning, got yourself a gun, Mama always said you’d be the chosen one to write the weekly Steam charts. These are the games which sold best on Steam last week.

This week: order returns. OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY

10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Right, so I was off on holiday for the last two Tuesdays, meaning Steam Chart duty fell to Adam Jerry Cheese-Muncher and Alice respectively. They did great, and they were blessed with a few new or otherwise unusual entries. Here was I, hoping this trend towards The New would continue and I could thus return to my post refreshed and with novel topics of conversation.

Today: watch a man’s hope be destroyed, blow-by-blow.

Though I will note that, in recent weeks, Siege is here without the help of a sale or free weekend. Ubi have kept pouring coal into this thing’s firehole, and it seems it’s now reached critical mass – able to sustain itself without gimmick. I appreciate a big company not giving up on a game that doesn’t set the world on fire right out of the gates.

9. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands

Wildlands, by contrast, seems to have done far better out of the gates than Siege did, despite – according to oor Brendy – being very much a lesser game. However, it surely benefits from a whole lot of learning Ubi took from Siege over the past couple of years, as well as assorted Far Crying.

8. Ark: Survival Evolved

7. Dying Light: The Following – Enhanced Edition

The closest we’ve got to a new entry this week, Techland’s openish world zomb-blaster makes a return thanks to a just-ended half-price sale. Oor Adam’s quite the fan of Dying Light, for which I think many of us so-called colleagues might have been guilty of thinking makes him a little crazy in the coconut. I’ve never played the Enhanced Edition though, which apparently involves a fairly substantial do-over of looks, mechanics and story. One day!

6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Alright. It’s time to ‘fess up.

It was me. I did it.

I bought 100,000 copies of CSGO every week. I thought if I could make it appear in the chart for month after month, I could stage a breakdown whenever I wrote about it and people would notice me. Maybe someone would care about me for the first time in my stinking life. Maybe… maybe everything would make sense at last.

You still love me, don’t you?

5. NieR: Automata

This one’s right at the top of the my ‘need to play’ list right now. My e’er-troubled PC is newly equipped with a working power supply, so I reckon that’s a thing that’ll happen this very week.

4. H1Z1: King of the Kill

For years I’ve been trying not to inadvertently type ‘King of the Hill’ instead of ‘King of the Kill’, but at last I can be entirely justified in doing so. Not King of the Hill any more, are you King of the Kill?

3. Grand Theft Auto V

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Game of the Year Edition

Sure, I’ve not got much new to say about Geralt’s latest return to the charts, but seeing it here always gives me the warm and fuzzies. Whenever I’ve got a new component in my PC or I’m testing some screen or laptop or graphics card, The Witcher 3 is my go-to game for maximum pretties. I never came anywhere close to finishing the thing, let alone the substantial DLC, which is pretty much because I just can’t get enough of standing around in its beautiful meadows.

1. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds

It’s new to me, due to my aforementioned absence. Haven’t tried it myself yet, but Brendy’s foray into this latest battle royale outta-nowhere hit gives me a pretty clear picture of what to expect. I’m fairly sure it’s not for me, but I’m not surprised it’s proved popular – a combination of on-trend and heritage (based on a big Arma 2/3 mod).

That name’s a humdinger though, innit? I fear we’re in for more of that sort of thing, given that almost every obvious variation upon ‘dudes shooting something’ naming conventions has been used by now. See also: theHunter. Look out for Popcap’s Shootplace, Ubisoft’s Tom Clancy’s SoldierPerson and Atari’s Skinsuit soon.

As ever, these charts are based on a ranking Valve release weekly on a Sunday afternoon, not the current top sellers.

From this site

1. Bobcat says:

My brain always just read it as H1Z1: King of the Hill. Our minds are such wondrous things.

2. yogibbear says:

My brain can’t parse PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds as being an actual game title. So I just ignore that it exists.

• Pich says:

PlayerUnknown’s PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, by PlayerUnknown

• Vurogj says:

Thanks to their Twitter handle, I always see the game’s name as Pub Battlegrounds, which is a much different game (and one I’ve witnessed in real life here in the UK on occasion).

• Lord of Beer says:

You shouldn’t – its an absolutely fantastic game. Squad mode with communication over Discord is bloody awesome.

Its not a survival game by the way – its a 100 player tactical FPS, with vehicles and equipment gathered from your surroundings at the start of each match, with rounds lasting up to 30 minutes.

3. napoleonic says:

Oh god, that GTAV image … I think I’m about to fit.

4. Luciferous says:

That .gif of Yoko Taro warms my heart, just like everything else about that man.

• Gunsmith says:

and rightly so, after years of trudging through AAA dogshit and its questionable business practices N:A reminded me why i like video games so much. yes its a little bit rough around the edges but to ignore it would be doing yourselves a massive disservice.

5. Solidstate89 says:

My e’er-troubled PC is newly equipped with a working power supply

Man, it must be contagious. My own PSU shit bed the a couple weeks ago and I sent it into Seasonic to get it repaired/replaced under warranty.

It’s going to be back this Wednesday and I cannot wait to get back into the world of Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, and a dozen other games I haven’t been to play for weeks now.

Styxie says:

Power supplies seem to have a really high failure rate. I’ve had two die on me in the last ten years. It’s well worth spending a bit more to get a higher quality PSU in my experience.

• Solidstate89 says:

And that’s exactly what I did. The PSU I had to RMA is a Seasonic X-1050 Gold unit. It wasn’t a cheap Diablotek or Thermaltake unit or anything.

Thankfully with that higher cost came a 7 year warranty, because I’ve had that PSU for over 4 years now.

6. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Jeff Goldblum gif is no safe for work category, I spilled my drink.

7. Faldrath says:

I”m really hoping RPS will write a Verdict for Nier. I haven’t even finished it yet, and I’m beginning to doubt there’ll be something better this year as a gaming experience.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Adam and I have talked about doing a Verdict. We needed to wait for me to properly finish it proper, then Rezzed arrived and other events and… I’d still like to!

heretic says:

Yes please! Would be interested to hear what you think, mind you I have just started so I need to get a move on.

First thing I did was switch the voice over to Japanese, I heard the english version in trailers and it just didn’t sound right. For some reason androids sounds less silly in Japanese :)

• Baines says:

Is that proper finish it once, or proper finish it four times for the four/five main endings, or proper get all 26 endings?

Styxie says:

I’m with Adam on that there Dying Light. Even as someone who is deeply not arsed with zombies, the freedom of movement in it is fantastic. Jumpy good times to be had.

• badmothergamer says:

Same here. I don’t care about zombies and the story was weak but I played through the entire game both at release and again shortly before the DLC came out. The fluid movement makes it a blast just bouncing around the city. Without a doubt the best I’ve ever experienced in a game.

• Buggery says:

It was a smashing 7/10 in the best possible way. I enjoyed playing it for several hours, running around on things, doing some sneaks, bashing zombs with stuff, and then drifted away with the game half completed and don’t feel at all bad about it.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Dying Light: Sir Kicksalot’s Return

• benkc says:

Yeah, I really enjoyed the first half of the game or so. Then I hit a stretch where the combat became tiresome and required, and walked away, but I really enjoyed the movement up until then. And I loved the random air drops; it was really sad when I hit the part of the story that disabled those.

9. haldolium says:

If you do, please do not ignore the serious technical issues that sadly is the curse of too many Japanese PC ports (still… or again). Even if you may not get them, western games always get hit right in the face for major issues, while Japanese games frequently get away with it even though their failures are often much more severe and deeper rooted in the initially single-platform design.

Still can’t play it due to random hardlock crashes and all Platinum/SQE managed is one pitty sentence with no information at all.

/meant as a reply to the above comment about the NieR verdict.

10. fish99 says:

It’s not PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, it’s the even more obnoxious PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS.

It’s a fine game mind you. You might say it’s nothing new, but it’s the best BR game yet. To me this style of last-man-standing/looting/big-open-map shooter has basically killed off the old school deathmatch shooter.

• badmothergamer says:

I don’t mind the name though it would’ve been nice if they’d turned off caps lock. BR fans know PU’s name so just calling the game “Battlegrounds” probably would’ve cost them some sales.

Comment on this story