Yonder shows off lovely lands and animal friendship

A pair of wee new Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles [official site] trailers give pleasant looks at the colourful land we’ll get to save by… not killing anything. Nope, while Yonder might have a mild look of Zelda to it, it’s a nonviolent adventure where we’ll save an island from creeping corruption, sure, but also do a lot of crafting, farming, and fishing. The game’s still a bit mysterious but it looks and sounds delightful. My main lesson from these videos is: you can befriend a red panda.

Yonders island follows a day/night cycle and seasons, and ranges across eight biomes. Here’s a new peek at Hearthwind Vale:

And a visit to The Grasslands:

I will befriend all these animals.

Yonder sounds a bit Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon-ish but I couldn’t rightly tell you how it’ll work. Developers Prideful Sloth say:

“The hero of Yonder will explore the island, uncovering its secrets and the mysteries within them self as they embarks on a journey of self-discovery, while saving Gemea and its people. On the quest to become the island’s champion, he or she will join forces with natives and Sprites, ethereal creatures whom are the only thing capable of dispersing the murk.

“The towns of Gemea are filled with kind-hearted residents who have faced many difficulties since the arrival of the murk. By contributing to the island through talents like farming, crafting, cooking, fishing and brewing, relationships can be built with the locals, who offer everything from resources to a new farm as rewards.”

Yonder is coming on July 18th.

From this site

1. Firkragg says:

Do red pandas go fasta?

Drib says:

Can’t watch the videos at work, but I’d happily take a Zelda-looking Stardew Valley.

The art style looks neat, exploration of non-proc-gen terrain is always fun…

Yeah, I like this thing.

3. robster says:

I want

4. aircool says:

Hurray for a game where I don’t have to kill any animals.

5. draglikepull says:

I’d be perfectly happy to never have to craft in a game again, but “non-violent Zelda” sounds like my kind of jam.

6. Thirdrail says:

You had me at not killing anything and if Steam would let me pre-purchase it they’d already have my money.

7. Static says:

aircool says: I don’t have to kill any animals.

Thirdrail says: You had me at not killing anything.

“By contributing to the island through talents like farming, crafting, cooking, fishing and brewing…”

Huh, so I guess the fishing is all catch and release? Or do people like… eat the fish? Or meat from the farms? Hmmmm….

• Snowskeeper says:

Don’t be silly; fish aren’t animals.

(On a serious note, though, re: the farms, it might be that there’s no slaughtering involved.)

• Alice O'Connor says:

Nonviolent fishing and cooking: trout-tickling where you keep going as the flames roast them; pigs who die of natural causes; cows who insist upon falling down the deep, deep pits you dig in their field.

• aircool says:

Eating is kinda different, but (like minecraft), I’ll change to vegetarian as soon as possible.

Unlike real life of course where I do enjoy a good steak or chicken bhuna.

Interesting subject I guess (or maybe not). I’m quite happy to hack humans, orcs and other monsters for whatever reason, but I hate having to kill wolves, big cats, bears and other wildlife critters. So much so that in many games, I’ll avoid it as much as possible. Shame I can’t dip into my inventory and feed the wild dogs with all those roast chickens dropped by the dead human guards.

• April March says:

I know how you feel. People (including here fantasy people that are clearly based on human beings, like orcs and, wot, Krogans) are most likely bastards. Animals are not bastards. I don’t mind if enemies are an occasional hazard that can be avoided, like if you’re on a wilderness or something, but if I have a goal that requires me to kill every enemy on a level and said enemies include non-sentient creatures I’ll be angry/pissed (depending).

• xfstef says:

I probably can’t post links here so I’ll just tell you folks to go ahead and search for “Vegans and Vegetarians think they don’t kill animals but they do”

*flies away*

• Thirdrail says:

We were obviously excited about the idea of playing a game like this where problems are solved with methods other than violence. I guess you haven’t played enough video games to realize how rare that is for something like this, but don’t worry, someday it will make sense to you.

Or maybe you’re just so pitifully pedantic you can’t help yourself.

8. thedonbeeglez says:

This looks…relaxing. I want it.

9. Ross Angus says:

This sequel to The Witness looks weird.

Comment on this story