Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven released

Oh goodness me, I’d forgotten that Europa Universalis 4 [official site] has an expansion out today too. Along with releasing Stellaris: Utopia, those busy bees have launched EU4: Mandate of Heaven. This tenth expansion for the historical grand strategy game focuses on China and Japan, expanding them with new unique systems. Have a peek:

Normally I’d turn this over to strategic man Adam but he’s in Iceland for EVE Fanfest. So I’ll turn you over to Paradox, who I trust aren’t making this up:

Historical Ages and Golden Eras:
Meet objectives in four historical ages from the Age of Discovery to the Age of Revolutions, earning new bonuses and powers for your country. Declare a Golden Era to further increase your chance of success

Chinese Empire:
New mechanics for Ming China, including Imperial Decrees and Imperial Reforms to bolster the Dragon Throne

Tributaries:
Force your neighbors to pay tribute to your Chinese Empire, paying you in gold, manpower or monarch points

New Japanese Rules:
Daimyos now owe loyalty to the Shogun – and the Shogun is whomever controls the imperial capital of Kyoto. Force your lesser rivals to commit seppuku to preserve their honor

Manchu Banners:
Rally the Manchu warlords around your throne and call up the traditional banners to reinforce your army

Diplomatic Macrobuilder:
Common diplomatic actions are now easily available from the macrobuilder interface

For full details on everything in Mandate of Heaven and the accompanying update, hit the patch notes.

Mandate of Heaven is out now at £14.99/19,99€/$19.99. Sold separately is the Mandate of Heaven Content Pack, which gives East Asian units new artwork for £5.59/7,99€/$7.99. Nope, it’s not included with the expansion. As for the base game, you can grab Europa Universalis IV with a 75% discount for £8.74/9,99€/$9.99. Most of the older DLC is half-price too.

From this site

1. protorp says:

INB4 OMG Paradox DLC is teh suckxxorz xploit8tive bu$ine$$ mode-ell of ultim8 profit-tearing, &cetera.

2. kerndaddy says:

Game looks pretty cool. I was seriously thinking about getting it since it’s only 10 bucks on sale at 75% off. Then I scrolled down to available downloadable content for this game and it says 144 dollars. 144 dollars? And that is with most of it 50 percent off. How anybody could defend that is beyond me.

• AngoraFish says:

There’s no good reason for someone who has never played the series to get anything other than the base game. Even in its base form the game is more than complex enough for most players to bounce right off of.

A lot of the systems in the expansions aren’t even going to be noticeable unless you make a very explicit decision to interact with them. For example, the current expansion is going to do more or less nothing at all for you if you’re playing Ireland.

In fact, a fair number of the nickle and dime expansions are just skins and music, which, unless you’re a big fan of medieval folk music, you can most certainly save your money on.

If you manage to persevere through and enjoy a few (very long) games of the base without expansions you’ll be very happy to pay for the extra content to mix things up a little, and if not, you’ve saved your cash.

• Sakkura says:

If you skip all the cosmetic stuff, it’s not quite so dramatic.

You can compare it to Train Simulator, which would cost 4800€ with all DLC.

It is a ton of money, but you don’t really miss anything by not buying it.

The actual content expansions do still cost quite a bit (90€), but there is a lot of content in there, plus in all the free content patches they’ve added over the years.

• Scraphound says:

Honestly, if you’re a totally new player you can go on Steam right now and get Stellaris, the Utiopia expansion, and EU4 plus MoH for about what you’d pay for a typical AAA console title.

Consider the metric ton of content you get for that price. If Paradox titles turn out to be your thing, we’re talking hundreds of hours.

That’s not a bad starting point AT ALL. And if you want, you can pick up the most recommended expansions for a reasonable price as well. I don’t have one problem with the Paradox model if it means continued support and features, and I feel that if you’re patient you can get the best features on sale eventually.

• klink-mit-panzerslip says:

Though, if you are a totally new player, you’d better probably not start with Stellaris, which is not unanimously regarded as as good as EU or CK.
        You should actually start by CK2, the easiest to get in.

• Jezebeau says:

Stellaris is a rather different game and should not be directly compared to either.

• klink-mit-panzerslip says:

Indeed. Quite different. But probably not the one to try this kind of games. It does not reach general consensus among crowd used to Paradox games.

• MaXimillion says:

A lot of that DLC is cosmetics, and of the gameplay DLC several are only really relevant for specific countries. As a newcomer, I’d pick up (in order) Common Sense, Art of War, Cossacks, Rights of Man and Mandate of Heaven.

• P.Funk says:

As a veteran CK2 player and DLC consumer you don’t buy most of it, you buy what you want and only once you’ve played the base game enough to know what you want from the DLC as none of the DLC has any value or meaning to you until you do play the base game.

On top of that more than half of all DLC is purely cosmetic/aesthetic while all DLC updates come with patches that improve the game for people who own none of it. You only have to grumble when the game has been patched and updated so many times that changes start to become annoying when you DON’T have some of the DLC like has hapened with CK2. Even so, no biggie. Ignore the DLC price tag. Most of that is a stupid-tax on people who are looking to throw their money away and won’t get anything game play related in return.

3. April March says:

Diplomatic Macrobuilder is the main character in my noirpunk novel.

Syt says:

I’ve bought it, like all the Paradox games and DLCs since 2001, because I’m stupid like that. And one day I will learn to play this game. I just find CK2 easier to get into and much more forgiving to new players. YMMV, though.

• Dogshevik says:

Heh, for me it was the complete opposite. I found CK2 way more confusing than EUIV. Especially when it comes to who owns what, who inherits what and which law apply to title X etc.

But in terms of difficulty I agree. CK2 is definately the more forgiving title of the two. While you are mostly left to your own devices in CK2 the predatory EUIV AI often tries to gouge out your eyes for no other reason than it thinks it can get away with it.

• ix says:

I just started playing EU4 and that sounds about right. Though it’s not helped by the lack of a clear help function (or did I miss it?), and frankly almost completely useless tutorials. I had some fun figuring out how all of the systems work by myself, to be fair, but also lost a bunch of times in ways that felt premature and brought on by lack of background knowledge.