Best PC gaming deals of the week

We’re a week removed from Rezzed now and the video game BAFTAs have just been and gone – featuring, by the way, a well-deserved couple of wins for lovely local multiplayer gem Overcooked – and yet, with all the wonderful games out there, I still find myself wanting to play Thimbleweed Park above most other things. Damn you, Ron Gilbert.

Regardless, we’re back with another week’s worth of the best PC gaming deals, so let’s take a look. As usual, we’ve got deals that’ll work in the UK, deals that’ll work in the US and some deals that will work in both the UK and US, as well as presumably many other places. Let’s get started.

UK & US Deals

The video game BAFTA awards may have been last night but that’s not going to stop Humble from celebrating some of the nominees with a nice little sale. Over at the site, you can grab No Man’s Sky for £19.99 / $29.99, ABZU for £7.49 / $9.99, Oxenfree for £4.12 / $4.99, Hitman’s first season for £19.99 / $29.99 and more.

BAFTA-nominated games on sale from Humble Store

While we’re talking about Humble, the site is also hosting a Strategy Week at the moment, with up to 75% off titles of that ilk including The Banner Saga, SteamWorld Heist, Frozen Synapse, Mount and Blade: Warband and more. You’ll find all those and more on the link below if you fancy it.

Strategy Week from Humble Bundle

In case you haven’t spotted it by now, Nier: Automata is out now and already down to £29.99 / $44.99 / €44.99 over at Green Man Gaming. You’ll need to sign in to a free account to get that price but once you do that, you’re all set to enjoy your existential robot drama action game thingy.

Nier: Automata on PC (Steam) for £29.99 / $44.99 / €44.99 from Green Man Gaming

UK Deals

Overwatch has almost been out for a year at this point and still manages to cling to the public consciousness better than some of last year’s later releases. Doesn’t hurt that it won Best Multiplayer at last night’s BAFTAs. You can grab a boxed PC copy (which will include a Blizzard key) for £25.99 at Amazon UK today.

Overwatch on PC for £25.99 from Amazon UK

Odds are, you probably skipped Steep when it was released back in December. If you did, you have another chance to fling yourself off a snowy mountain in the Alps in one of those terrifying wingsuits but this time it’ll only cost you £22.49, over at Amazon UK

Steep on PC (Uplay) for £22.49 from Amazon UK

Over at GAME, the Steam Link and Controller are discounted once more. If you’ve debated getting one or both of these before, you officially have another chance to pick up a Link for £15.99 or a Controller for £27.99.

Steam Link for £15.99 from GAME
Steam Controller for £27.99 from GAME

US Deals

Although, I’m sure my opinion on this will be divisive and lead to a Frankenstein-esque pitchfork adventure, sometimes you just want to play games using a controller. One of the best controllers you can get, for the moment at least, is the DualShock 4. Fortunately, Best Buy will sell you one of these along with the USB Wireless adapter dongle, for $40 right now. That’s about $30 off the regular price and the cheapest way to get your hands on a DualShock 4 right now, too.

DualShock 4 and Wireless USB Adapter Starter Kit for $39.99 from Best Buy

Song of the Deep is a weird little thing. It’s an underwater explorathon with a hint of that open world jank to it. It’s published by GameStop’s brand new publishing arm and right now, a boxed copy will only cost you $1.97, which is about half the price of a coffee in most places. For an entire game.

Song of the Deep on PC (boxed) for $1.97 from GameStop

With that, we’re done for another week. Keep in mind that deals, prices and availability can change at the drop of a hat, so apologies if you miss out on something you wanted. I’ll be over at Jelly Deals, scouring the world wide web for more deals. Feel free to visit, or follow us on Twitter and give us a like on Facebook.

Did you know that Jelly Deals has launched a newsletter? It lets us bring the best deals directly to you each day. Subscribe here, if that seems like your kind of thing.

From this site

1. thenevernow says:

I can only speak well of the DS4 and it has basically the same full support in Steam as the Steam controller. Just remember you don’t need the insanely priced USB dongle, any $3 Bluetooth adapter will do the job.

• skeletortoise says:

I’m sure you’re right, but I’m pretty blown away it’s normally near $70. I guess I don’t pay much attention to controllers, but that sounds ludicrous to me.

MajorLag says:

Yeah, me too. I have a few DualShock’s and a PS->PC USB adapter I’ve been using for years and have begun looking at doing something else for my gamepad needs, but the prices on XBox/PS4 controllers are pretty steep and I’m not sold on the Steam controller either.

• Viral Frog says:

I have a DS4, Xbox 360, and Steam controller. Steam controller is by far the best of the lot. Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get it, it’s amazing. With the gyro, you can be nearly as accurate with it as you could with a mouse + keyboard in FPS games. Of course, m+k is king. But after 100+ hours using each pad, the only time I ever go with the DS4 over the Steam controller is for platformers. I’m sure my 360 pad would have an inch thick layer of dust on it if my son didn’t play with it.

• thenevernow says:

Prices of accessories are ludicrous in the tech world are universally ludicrous. This said, the DS4 is 42.95 pounds on Amazon UK and while not cheap, it’s a bit more reasonable than $70. And the USB adapter is an accessory of an accessory, so.. don’t get me started on that. :D

For reference, on my country’s GameStop website the DS4 alone is $75.5 and the USB thingie is $27.5. But you need to be a bit dumb to pay those prices.

phuzz says:

It’s a shame they don’t do a cheapy wired version like Microsoft did with the xbox 360 controller.
      I’ve always (slightly) preferred the Playstation controller to hold, but when I can find a 360 controller for £15, rather than £40 for the DS, with bluetooth that I don’t need….

Mungrul says:

Even better, check your motherboard doesn’t already have Bluetooth on-board.
      Mine’s pretty old now, yet is Bluetooth capable.

I recently picked up a Switch and the Pro Controller, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Pro Controller will pair with my PC.

• KingFunk says:

You can even get one free when you buy a PS4! :-)

Not to mention that the DS4 works via Bluetooth with Steam Link, which is nice.

2. PointyShinyBurning says:

What’s the consensus on the Steam Controller these days? Enough games support it properly/have “community” mappings that are good enough?

Addie says:

I use mine preferentially over my x360 controller these days – having a couple of extra buttons is a bonus for doing something fiddly (eg. jumping/lock targetting in Dark Souls) and being able to remap on-the-fly is a big plus for retro and older games, to bring their control schemes into line with new ones.

You still have to start all your non-steam games from a Steam shortcut, which is a nuisance. No Joy2Key-like ‘whichever window receives input’ automapping here.

Haven’t bothered with the community ‘maps’, they’re a bit hard to discover, and it’s not all that tough to start with an x360-like map and adjust it if needed.

Also a point made above: you can connect it up with a USB cable, or use its wireless (bluetooth?) adapter, no extra bits and pieces needed.

• ersetzen says:

If you want to play with one you should use the steam beta. It is stable and you get a lot of cool steam controller features faster. Currently the revamped community layout page that lets people vote, shows active users and hours played for instance. More generally they added a ton of cool stuff that allows for super intricate control schemes but that also can become a serious time sink.

I personally quite like fiddling with the control setup during the first half hour of gameplay before I settle on something that I like. After that it usually plays incredibly well and gyro+trackpad can come close to mouse accuracy and convenience, though. For a lot of games that might require setting the game difficulty on hard or above because a lot of actions become easier to execute – not sure if that is a positive or negative.

• thenevernow says:

The beauty of it is you don’t need explicit support in the game. Many games can be played with one of the standard profiles and usability will at least be a match for the other controllers. In some cases user-made or official profiles will improve on that, in other cases you’re on your own. All this said, I think a DS4 (or Xbox) controller is a preferrable choice for all games but first-person and mouse-driven ones. With mouse-driven I mean there’s a cursor on the screen, not playable with M+K.

• Flavorfish says:

It’s excellent but tedious. If you get a proper setup for certain games it absolutely blows away a kb/m and a dualshock… but getting that proper set up can be tedious and the community configs are completely useless without an upvote/downvote system.

I REPEAT: To any future Valve engineers! The community config system is USELESS without a voting system!

3. MercurialJack says:

Just chipping in to say Steamworld Heist is a fantastic game and well worth playing. It’s kinda like XCOM meets Firefly, but with skillshots and manual aiming. And for those of you who enjoy that kind of thing, hats to collect.

4. butt furniture says:

where is SQUAD? it’s the best damn PC tacticlam FPS since Red Orchestra, and Ghost Recon before that

it’s a free weekend, it’s on sale, and there’s motorcycles

5. butt furniture says:

oh and i got all kinds of SQUAD videos, like watch this, TRUE authentic PC gaming physics

link to youtu.be

6. SpiceySlade says:

The link to Song of the Deep is wrong – it points to the DualShock deal.

7. Spakkenkhrist says:

Be careful buying this edition of Overwatch from Amazon, looking at the reviews people are getting the box with the code removed.

Comment on this story