Hearthstone’s Journey to Un’Goro now out

Way down deep in the middle of a Hearthstone, Blizzard took a Ravasaur, Razorpetals, and a Tar Lord. They stuck ’em in a crater and they danced a dainty tango.
Mike Morhaime said, “I know, we’ll call it Un’Goro!”

Un’Goro, Un’Goro,
A primeval jungle.

Ben Brode built a beatdown deck, Didier drew a Devilsaur.
Bob Fitch flung the packets that the whole caboodle networked in.

So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle,
They all prefer the sunny funny one they call Un’Goro!

The Journey to Un’Goro expansion for Hearthstone [official site] is out now, y’see.

Blizzard say they released this fifth Hearthstone expansion yesterday in somewhere called ‘America’. America? I hardly knew ‘er! But today’s the launch in Europe and Asia.

This 135-card expansion adventures into the Un’Goro Crater to meet dinosaurs, elementals, and bitey flora. It also introduces Quests, a new type of card which offer mighty rewards if you can meet specific conditions. A new card ability comes in Adapt, which lets players choose from a selection of offensive and defensive buffs.

Full card listings are on Hearthpwn, the Hearthstone wiki, and so on.

The release of Un’Goro also kicks off Hearthstone’s second Standard format year, the Year of the Mammoth. Like Magic’s Standard format, this is a type of play with is cheaper and easier to get into because it only uses cards from the core sets and recent expansions.

With this new year, cards from Blackrock Mountain, Grand Tournament, and League of Explorers are leaving Standard. They’re still in the footloose and fancy-free Wild format, mind. Also shuffling to Wild are six powerful Classic cards — Azure Drake, Sylvanas Windrunner, Ragnaros the Firelord, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance, and Conceal — which are being named ‘Hall of Fame’ cards.

From this site

1. zind says:

I opened the legendary warrior quest from one of my packs, so I made a deck full of taunt minions. It doesn’t seem very good, but once I got Sulfuras the game basically won itself, so I guess that was fun?

In another game my opponent just instantly conceded when I played the quest. Weird.

I like the cards though! I want to make an elemental shaman deck just because that seems like a flavor win.

• Brainstrain91 says:

The Warrior quest seems really overpowered. You’d be playing taunt minions anyway, in the majority of decks. And there are only a handful of options for weapon removal. Most other Quests require a very specific playstyle that wouldn’t be advantageous without the Quest reward.

I just don’t think there’s a word strong enough to describe how terrible Hearthstone is at card balance.

• SadOldGuy says:

Eh, maybe for better players than me. I have a mixed win rate with the warriors quest. My first time I finished the quest my rogue opponent finished their quest and suddenly had a full board of cheap 5/5 minions. I could not kill them fast enough and they easily went through my taunt minions.

This weekend’s tavern is apparently in the wild format so I have seen all sorts of craziness in my 30+ games today. My favorite was having Lorewalker Cho give a copy of the warrior “Explore Un’Goro” card and we both ended up playing random discovered cards for twenty minutes until they ran out of cards and died.

• AngoraFish says:

I have never played a game where the opponent didn’t easily achieve their quest within the first 10-12 turns. The outcomes are all OP, and there’s very little in the way of countermeasures except trying to churn the opponent’s deck, which is almost impossible to do. There are no in-game counters to quests at all. I am very close to tossing the game in at this point.

• SadOldGuy says:

Man, you are playing better people than me.

• Cinek says:

There are in-game counters, the quest rewards while sagnificant – are not an insta-win, and usually by the time they gain an advantage – you should be either victorious or very close to winning. In general quests lower the amount of games lasting 15+ turns, but byno means they make them impossible (eg. if you’re playing jade golems and enemy completed quest – he still can’t do anything to counter you, case by that time you already run way more powerful golems than whatever he got). Also, seriously, you consider things like 0 mana minions in deck druid at turn 12 to be “op”? It’s not like he can spam 5 of these a turn. I still win games vs people who completed quests just fine. They sacrificed either early or mid game for late game advantage. You have to exploit it. With quest they post you know the tactic they’ll use. Let that knowlege pay off.

2. Darloth says:

Sounds delicious.

I’ll buy six cartons.

3. disconnect says:

It’s too orangey for rogues.

No wait never mind that was the other racist drink.

4. General Ludd says:

I’m having great fun with the mage quest and an aggro hunter deck, which I’ve got the quest in but only as a finishing option if I don’t kill them quickly. (8 1 drops that become 12.)

5. Stix says:

Damn I miss Un’Goro Crater. I remember my first time there in WoW, the quests there took forever and the PvP was amazing. Then you have the questline there.. hah. That was priceless.

6. carewolf says:

Didn’t know anyone still played that after we got Faera..

I guess my last Heathstone deck is completely wild these days, with no cards no longer allowed to be played. Good ridance.

• Cinek says:

It’s just… what… 1 expansion and 2 adventures that got disabled. Majority of old cards are still there. And yea, people still play, more than ever in fact.

7. franckmouet says:

If you want to know how to make the volcano explode on the new board check here Un’goro volcano eruption

Comment on this story