Have You Played… Armadillo Run?

Long before physics games were commonplace, Armadillo Run [official site] offered creative puzzles in which you could build bridges, pulleys and, with enough practice, just about anything.

The aim is to get an armadillo to a particular point in 2D space and then keep it there for a few seconds. The challenge is that levels are often blank bar your goal, the armadillo, and perhaps a few guiding pegs. So you set to work: hanging rope between the pegs, plopping down cogs and platforms, experimenting with elastic bands, and trying to work out if you can find a use for rockets.

Level after level, the difficulty increases, but there’s never only a single fixed solution. The joy is in the creativity, and even if you get stuck you can have lots of fun just building things, starting the simulation, and watching the chaos play out. And if you get good, the sky’s the limit. Or maybe not even the sky.

1. chuckieegg says:

It was a fun game before such things became commonplace. It also featured something called ‘The Force’ which would happen if two items were placed too close to each other. There was a ‘feature’ that the force produced by the two items repelling each other could be harnessed, and so provide your creations with far more power than would otherwise be available. Most of the demos in the video appear to be using it. Its a good example from RPS sometimes-theme of ‘Games are best when they are going wrong’.

2. Shazbut says:

Yeah it was great! I used to think the armadillo was a basketball

3. Vermintide says:

I’m pretty sure this game is the reason I failed my A levels.

4. nitric22 says:

Oh My Goodness thank you RPS! Armadillo Run was the literal party game at my house for months. Several friends and I would trade off segments of the free form level editor, and the wild creations we came up with to this day bring me a smile. This a an example of a game that allows the player to have a “my way” solution to each level.

5. Frank says:

Yep, I really enjoyed that game. It reminds me also of Ballance, which somehow also never made it to Steam.

6. Syrion says:

Man, it’s only a few years ago and at the same time and unimaginable long time when, back then, “physics games” were so incredible and every new one so exciting. Armadilla Run was very cool, I think at some point I even sent the developer the money for the full game. It’s funny that the price never dropped. Also, according to a news post from december, the developer is actually soonish releasing a semi-sequel, interesting!

Ah, I miss fun-motion.com..

7. Spongbo says:

It needs a Steam release. And maybe an update. But it’s brilliant. I lost more hours to this game than many, many others, and loved every frustrating minute of it!

8. anon459 says:

Just a few years ago, actually, after googling “best physics puzzle games” or some such. Very nice game. The graphics are simple enough that it aged well too. Also, I used rockets fairly often, if memory serves.