Leaky leak: Overwatch’s next event is PvE Insurrection Uprising

Update: Past Brendan, you fool! It’s actually called ‘uprising’ in English and now has a trailer in that language, available via super-legit sources, and contains all these goodies.

Original story:Il y a eu une fuite!” That means “There has been a leak” in French, a language which I am now speaking because a trailer for the next Overwatch [official site] event has seeped out onto the French YouTube channel for PlayStation. It’s called Insurrection and pits four characters against waves of Omnic robots on the streets of King’s Row. And it’s due to start tomorrow. Here’s the video, which was taken down by the official channel once they realised their slip-up but has – surprise, surprise – been hastily copied by enterprising Tubefiends.

Zut alors, etc. The only thing I understood from all of that was “King’s Row has fallen”. The event seems to be set during the “Omnic crisis” – that robot versus human war that these rascals always go on about. Or possibly some weird alt-reality. I don’t know, it’s hard enough to keep up with Overlore in English, never mind this. Anyway, Tracer, Reinhardt, Mercy and Torbjorn will be shooting up the streets, taking out creepy spiderbots and the enemy forces of ‘Blackwatch’ – McCree, Genji and … Fatale!? Widowmaker is called Fatale in Overfrench! I feel like I’m learning so much.

The event is starting tomorrow and will run until May 1.

From this site

1. Pich says:

Attack Torbjorn? Blizzard, you madman!

2. Atog says:

Roughly : “-Morrison talking. London has been attacked. King’s Row has fallen. We’re in the middle of an open war. -Hundreds have died, thousands injured. -Lieutenant Wilhelm reporting, we won’t let you down Sir. -We will save as many lives as possible. -Blackwatch’s agents report significant fortifications. Sector Zero controls the whole area. -Let the expert handle this, I have something in store for them ! -Intervention team, we’re counting on you. Keep an eye on the new recruit. -You can count on me, sir. *battle begins* *pew pew pew* -Watch your back ! *pew pew* -I’m moving the payload. -Forward. -Let’s go.” *explosion* *title* *skins* etc.

3. Seafoam says:

Blizzard really needs to reprimand whoever runs these channels.
    Seriously all leaks come from sources like this. Unless they do this on purpose?

4. pigy33 says:

it’s pretty funny how some Weeboo COD game is trying to compete with Battleborn by adding PvE xD

• Seafoam says:

This comment perfectly demonstrates Poe’s Law in action.

• SaintAn says:

Fun fact: That slur is actually pretty offensive. It means you hate people of races liking cultures that aren’t of their own race, race mixing would be included in that. So it’s a sign that you’re a really big racist weather you know it or not.

The more you know.

• Seafoam says:

He-hey! Look! Another one!

• Beefenstein says:

Fun fact: assuming the intention of someone else without reasonable evidence contradicts their autonomy and denies them self-expression. It’s a form of imprisonment and should be made illegal.

• skeletortoise says:

Fun

fact

slur

It means you hate people

races liking cultures that aren’t of their own race

race mixing would be included in that

a sign that you’re a really big racist

weather you know it or not

No, and also no.

• stringerdell says:

Battleborn is dead and forgotten, nobody is trying to compete with it

subdog says:

I was playing Vermintide the other day and thinking “Man, I wish this German hammer-knight played more like Reinhardt. A PvE horde game with Overwatch’s excellent characters would be great.”

Turns out I’m precognizant.

6. racccoon says:

here’s another one link to youtube.com

7. uzernaem says:

This is totally not a TF2 Mann vs Machine rip off.

8. Dilapinated says:

What’s the source on “Overwatch fighting Blackwatch”? I can’t see any indication of that in the video, and Blackwatch are a subsection of Overwatch. If this is set after the comic that just came out, that contradicts that.. (And also if the translation above is accurate)

BW/OW have friction, but I can’t imagine BW going “Yep, we’re fighting on the Omnics’ side now.”

9. Kollega says:

Hm, looks like the in-game storytelling of Overwatch might go a little beyond “these people used to be a single superhero organization defending the world, but now they just beat eachother up over control points”.

Still far more interested in Agents of Mayhem. Because let’s face it, Overwatch with its non-ceasing multiplayer action isn’t a game for someone who likes to explore big open worlds and stop every other minute to admire the game’s art direction. It’s honestly great that people who’d play Overwatch if it was singleplayer have AoM to look forward to.

• Frank says:

Fwiw, as an Overwatch player who prefers SP games generally, I have no interest in AoM. Nice offhand plug for it here, though; they certainly do look similar on the surface.

• Kollega says:

Thing is, when AoM was announced last year, someone here on RPS said that it looks like an “Overwatch simulator”, in the sense of Overwatch as the in-universe superhero organization. So far, it sure looks like it… and I felt the urge to mention how it’s super-fitting for me specifically by cutting straight to single-player (I haven’t played PvP multiplayer in… something like three years, if not more). So there :P

Actually, I even read a preview on Polygon recently, where Volition explicitly said that the announcement of Overwatch was their equivalent of the Cuban Missile Crisis – and when Blizzard confirmed it as multiplayer-only, the Voliton guys were like “phew!”

10. Foosnark says:

The way that last shot dramatically shows a new Orisa skin is almost like this is an older video and they were originally going to introduce her all sneaky-like with this event. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

11. Xocrates says:

Gave it a go just now, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. It is more of a story mission than just a straight up Horde Mode, and if Blizz made a full co-op campaign in this vein I would very much be up for it.

Sadly, this also means that it’s not very replayable short of just going for harder difficulties or different heroes.

But man, I also made a few regular matches and I really really no longer enjoy Overwatch. It gets on my nerves in ways that few games ever managed to. And the crate system is still the worst fucking unlock system I’ve ever seen in a game ever.

But, you know, the new mode is nice.