The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel coming to PC

Nihon Falcom’s The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel [official site] will come to PC this summer, publishers Xseed Games have announced, four years after its console debut. Trails of Cold Steel kicks off a new sub-series in Falcom’s sprawling Legend of Heroes series but no, sadly its Cold Steel is nothing to do with the sword-swinging YouTube stars. Xseed also confirmed that the sequel, Cold Steel II, will follow. And! Announcements spilling out their mouths like custard from a Comic Relief fundraiser, Xseed have also announced a PC release date of May 3rd for The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

So, Cold Steel! It’s coming to Windows this summer, boasting an impressive 5,000-odd extra lines of voiced dialogue – “approximately a 50% increase”, Xseed say. Here, compare our version with the PS3 release in this handy trailer:

As for what Cold Steel is all about, Xseed explain:

“Taking place on the same continent as fan-favorite Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel further explores Erebonia and gives players a chance to delve deep into the inner political conflicts of this oft-mentioned and powerful empire. Players take on the role of elite military students at a time of great turmoil, who enjoy school life as they bond with fellow students to earn new abilities in battle, and then utilize those abilities via tactical turn-based combat. In between skirmishes, players can upgrade their party members with the ‘ARCUS’ system – a streamlined version of the classic ‘Orbment’ magic system from previous titles – allowing for greater access to abilities and quicker customization.”

Cold Steel II will follow but Xseed call its PC release “eventual” so don’t hold your breath. Or do. Even if you manage to hold your breath long enough to pass out, when you pass out your unconscious functions will kick in and start breathing so you’ll probably be fine. I have no medical training whatsoever — not even a first aid certificate — but I can’t see any harm in encouraging you to do this. Oh! Don’t do it on ledges or while operating heavy machinery, probably. Other than that, knock yourself out.

As for Trails in the Sky the 3rd, yup, May 3rd is the date. It’ll be on Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store at £24.99/29,99€/$29.99.

1. Sly-Lupin says:

This is fantastic news. The Cold Steel games may play it a little too safe to be as great as its immediate predecessors (which are among the greatest Japanese-style RPGs in history), but that just makes it merely “very good.”

The real gen though is the release date for The 3rd. After 15+ years of my “Favorite JRPGs Ever” list being pretty static, Trails in the Sky SC catapulted itself to the very top. My expectations for The 3rd could not possibly be any higher.

• masteralchemist says:

It also increases the chance of the others being localized on to PC which fans have been demanding for ages.

• Ent says:

um, I played Trails in the Sky 3rd, and… well it’s different. It’s more like a battle-oriented mode or something. Endless maze, mighty enemies, no city, weak and scattered plot (but it does fill up gaps in some characters). I enjoyed it, but definitely not in the same way as the 1st and 2nd. Consider the main story done by the end of 2nd.

2. draglikepull says:

I played the 1st Trails of Cold Steel on console, and while there’s plenty to like about the game (the combat is especially fun), the story moves at an interminably slow pace. I played for about 20 hours and virtually nothing happened in that time, which caused me to give up. Felt like it could have been a pretty good game if the story ever went anywhere, but I’m too old to put dozens of hours into a game in the hope that it might get somewhere eventually.

• Tigris says:

Well these games have a kind of slow start (and general slow pace), but later the story will turn up quite a bit.
      It has still the slow military academy parts (and lots of character building), but also a more grand scale story.

Nevertheless I can understand, that the game is a bit long for some people. (80+ hours is just a big commitment).

• Nosada says:

“80+ hours is just a big commitment”

*MMO-addicts cackling in background*

3. ramshackabooba says:

I love the Cold Steel series. I tried TitS 1 and it may have a great story (I don’t know), but I just can’t play RPG-maker style games anymore. Cold Steel therefore is more to my liking. Loved 1 and 2 though I’d prefer if they made ‘duologies’ (?) instead of trilogies, games are long enough as they are.

4. Kits says:

Really enjoyed the Cold Steel games. Far more than the In the Sky ones, even.
    It can feel a bit slow, especially the first game; but all the time you spend helping out and talking to classmates and villagers really gives the second game a lot more impact than it would otherwise.
    I find those side characters to be much more memorable and interesting than main characters from a lot of other RPG’s I have played.
    Just…probably best not to play through the first game until the second is available. It has quite a cliffhanger to it.

5. racccoon says:

Nicely made game. :)

6. SirPrimalform says:

That voice acting is just horrible, no idea why anyone would want more of it.